Jamiesons Skill Poker blown fuse

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
runner

Jamiesons Skill Poker blown fuse

Post by runner »

I am trying to fix my Jamiesons Skill Poker machine. I am still at novice level, I have bought the multi meter and the cleaning chemical to clean the PCB. The problem is that when I turn on the game, the fuse which is 5 amps keeps blowing. At first I thought it could be the power surge from the florescent light bulb, but even with all connections pulled out and trying a slow blow fuse it is still blowing out. Any thoughts ? The problem fuse is the left one.
Attachments
DSCF3997.JPG
gameswat

Re: Jamiesons Skill Poker blown fuse

Post by gameswat »

Hey Runner, this could be a tricky one without a schematic and without some serious electronic skills. My family was in the amusement industry from the mid 1960's and by the early 1990's we had stopped dealing in old electronic machines because even for us it was tough to fix them and keep them fixed! We guaranteed all our machines but it got to the point where it was impossible, so we just didn't touch them. This is well known and one of the reasons it's hard to find suitable repair people because with games like this having such a low resale it's not worth spending the time and money to fix them. The late 60's and 70's was a low point in machine quality and design too it has to be said which doesn't help anything. Unless this machine has special meaning, ie your father operated it in his fish and chips shop etc, It's probably better to try and find an already running machine that is coming from a lover of these games who specializes in repairing them. I became a restorer myself because I couldn't find anybody to do the work that I wanted. So maybe if you've really gotten a bee in your bonnet about it then take some courses and figure it out.

As for a few simple clues I can pass on. Examine each and every circuit board under a magnifier lamp and look for any burnt or damaged components, sometimes this works, often it does not. And look on the backside of any circuits for dry joints, these are hairline fractures around where the leg of the component is soldered to the board, a very common issue. Oh, and clean any connectors and plugs as this is always an issue. Also check each coil and solenoid for possible over heat burning, this is one of the most common reasons for blown fuses. If a switch somewhere jams closed too long it can eventually keep a coil energized and burn it out, this fuses the copper wire into a solid mass and creates a short. Hope this helps. :!?!:
runner

Post by runner »

That is very good information you have given me, and I guess being in the industry you can't afford to be spending hours trying to fix and maintain these machines, I'm looking at where the fuse is on my machine, with all connectors pulled out and it looks as though it hasn't had the chance to connect to any of the circuits on the main board, it's as if there is too much power coming from the power supply, and not sure if you can go out and buy a compatible one just to test if that is the problem. I do sort of enjoy the challenge of trying to fix the machine although it is frustrating at times, I think it is rather good for the old ticker similiar to doing a crossword or tinkering with a classic car, it teaches you to become patient and develops your problem solving skills. In a strange way maybe it is not such a bad thing if I don't get it working !!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Remember if all else fails you can simply make it look pretty and pop it in an auction.............( not Jerry's)
JC

Post by JC »

Runner, your fundamental problem here is that the machine shouldn't be blowing 5 amp fuses, certainly not slow-blow fuses. Yours is not a surge current issue - sounds like you have a short or at least a partial short somewhere in the circuitry. You say:
it's as if there is too much power coming from the power supply, and not sure if you can go out and buy a compatible one just to test if that is the problem.
Replacing the power supply won't solve anything - the problem is that the circuitry is drawing too much current from the supply. Gameswat gives useful advice above - I would also suggest that if there are any electrolytic capacitors on any of the PCBs, then these would be worth checking, as they can often go short-circuit through deterioration. Unfortunately, there will not always be any visual evidence of a capacitor breakdown.
The trick is to isolate everything from the power supply and then gradually and methodically re-connect sections. At some point, you will blow a fuse.......that will be the part that needs attention. If you can identify which part of the circuitry is causing the the problem, then come back to us - I'm sure someone here will be able to help further.

Jerry
brigham

Post by brigham »

First thing to do is follow the two blue wires down to the bottom of the cabinet, and see where they go.
If you can disconnect them from whatever they are powering, then do so, and try the machine again.
If the fuse still blows, the fault is in the blue wires; probably at one of the staples.
If not, connect them up again, and move further along, disconnecting each part in turn until the fuse blows.
All the parts that DON'T blow the fuse are thus eliminated.
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

runner wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:23 pm ...I think it is rather good for the old ticker ...
Not so good for the old ticker if you are not very careful! That lectrickery stuff packs a wallop!