Payout slides removal and replacement

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
toibs

Payout slides removal and replacement

Post by toibs »

Hi everyone :)

Anyone have any suggestions/hints/tips for removing/cleaning/replacing payout slides at all?

Wondered why they didn't "slide" that well (if at all!)...

So is it worth detaching all springs in one go, removing and remembering in which order, cleaning and then putting back in? First time I have done this, so just looking for advice from the "elders" ;) :D

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4173a.jpg
IMG_4172a.jpg
IMG_4171a.jpg
IMG_4170a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Payout slides Removal and replacement

Post by treefrog »

You have done half the job in getting access. Just unclip springs a treat and remove the slides. Take note of the order assuming they are correct and clean each slide. I use white spirits and wire wool. Clean all sides and springs, avoiding to damage or stretch springs. Also clean slide posts and base plate where slides move up and down. Of course do not forget the top cover cleaning as well.

It looks like rust to me, so maybe there are other areas of mechanism affected. Slide cleaning and reassembly should not take long. You should be able to to work out correct order by thickness of each slide against payouts on machine.
toibs

Post by toibs »

Many thanks Treefrog.
Is there anywhere this side of the pond to get new springs? Just figured it would make sense to change them, however if it's a case of waiting months for delivery from the US then may just clean up the ones in there.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Springs are available in the UK (I did have a link to a UK spring company several collectors have recommended but,of course, I can't find it now dirtdog ) but the old springs should be ok as long as they have not stretched pulling against the rust if they have, shorten them up a bit as a temp measure. You are probably aware but just to mention " no lubricant of any kind on the slides". Also worth making a spring puller to speed things up when reattaching the springs :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

this company sells about the right size springs for less than a £ each, although Ive not used them myself

https://www.ashfield-springs.com/shop/e ... ngs-3-10mm
toibs

Post by toibs »

Thats perfect - thank you!!

Anyone any idea on the length of springs needed for a jennings Governer?? :D
toibs

Post by toibs »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 am Also worth making a spring puller to speed things up when reattaching the springs :cool:
OOh... sound like a very (un-)technical device :)

Any pics please?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Payout slides removal and replacement

Post by badpenny »

I find dental picks on eBay like this kind of thing allows you to reach in from the back and hook it through.

BP
toibs

Post by toibs »

Well occasionally you have one of those nights. Tonight was it.

Following up on the above, started to look at the payslides... then as i was thinking about BP's dental pick above, my gaze was attracted to the tool bench... bingo... those things that you bought years ago, thinking they would be useful "one day"...

IMG_4178a.jpg

IMG_4179a.jpg

Perfect! So I managed to get the springs off and get a decent look at the slides...

IMG_4185_1.jpg

Defo need a good clean. Springs seem OK, will just soak them in either White spirit or degreaser to get the gunk off.

Interestingly, I found the following on the bottom rear of the frame. I remember reading something about it being the Manufacture date of the Frame, however even in US format it doesn't seem to make sense...

IMG_4186a.jpg

Any thoughts??
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Mech serial number, should match number on cabinet
toibs

Post by toibs »

treefrog wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:51 pm Mech serial number, should match number on cabinet
Ahh.. it might have a job. The machine was originally found in several inches of water in a barn... cab was completely trashed - so the owner before me ended up remaking the cabinet from scratch (and he's done a REALLY nice job!!). Yes i know it's not original (and thats a shame), but rather that than no cab at all!
Will post some pics tomorrow of the cab..