Mills Cherry?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brianh

Mills Cherry?

Post by brianh »

I don't have experience of Bandits (apart from a Jubilee Rivierra I once bought) as I normally dabble with Allwins, but I saw this one coming up on a local auction and wondered if it was worth a gamble. From my very limited Bandit knowledge I assume it is a Mills Cherry (?) but that's as far as I've got.

Question is - if I can establish it is in working condition are they fairly straightforward to work on? And is there anything obvious from the pics that would make it a "don't touch it" ?

Any advice, good or bad, would be appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
cherry2.jpg
cherry.jpg
treefrog

Re: Mills Cherry?

Post by treefrog »

It's a Mills Golden Falls, one of the range of half top machines made, so similar to Black Cherry. Penny converted, so a chopped roll down escalator and a large hole made for the coin.

I suspect given the number of watchers, you will have competition, but it looks OK... There are two holes to the left of the escalator window that should not be there. Good news, it has the hood and back door.

Go for it |/XX\|
brianh

Post by brianh »

Many thanks treefrog. !THANKS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This is what it will look like when you have restored it. It's missing the jackpot and needs a new bib, but they are easy to find.
Attachments
finished.jpg
brianh

Post by brianh »

Hmm - thanks coppinpr - bit of work needed then. :lol: If I get it, I may need some help. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem with the 12 coin conversions, most old penny machines had this, they never made awards for these machines and often butchered them, sometimes cutting round holes with a new award and also sticking other awards over the top. I have seen many hi top awards bolted over the top of the bibs for example.

Also on jackpot. This was a non-large coin machine originally, and will not take a 1D/50C jackpot. These machine had the fish mouth coin entry and a larger lower jackpot bell to take the larger unit. If bought I would leave alone, unless the colour offends.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

treefrog wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:38 amIf bought I would leave alone, unless the colour offends
I know what you mean Tom, but I'm a great believer in restoring a machine that has past a certain point, and I think this one has. If it was mine, I'd restore, and for me at least.. the colour does offend. :lol:
brigham

Post by brigham »

Let's face it; the colour is HIDEOUS.
I'd just sort out the paintwork, find something to put in the blanked-off jackpot window, and then simply play it.
brianh

Post by brianh »

OK -well I have a few more pics of the one up for auction at Wotton and I think I'll give it a miss as it looks like too much work and I don't trust that I could do it justice but in case it's of interest to any other forum members I've attached the pics. The report says "Will need recommissioning but appears complete"
Thanks for everyone's input though and I'll keep looking.
Attachments
bandit3.jpg
bandit3.jpg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
bandit2.jpg
bandit2.jpg (5.59 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
bandit1.jpg
bandit1.jpg (5.95 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Crikey, those pictures are small......where’s me magnifying glass !LOOK!
brianh

Post by brianh »

These any better? :cool:
Attachments
bandit4a.jpg
bandit5a.jpg
bandit6a.jpg