Jubilee Riviera Decals

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
denney_design

Jubilee Riviera Decals

Post by denney_design »

Hello all, I'm new to this site and the wonderful world of penny machines. I've recently bought a Jubilee Riviera, which I've always wanted, with a view to doing it up slightly. So I'm after some advice as I don't want to heavily restore it and end up ruining its character. Upon wiring it up, I've noticed that the decals are all cracked and the light shines through, so I'm wondering firstly whether or not replacement decals are available or can be made, or is it better if I just touch it up with paint from the inside....and if so, what would be the best kind of paint etc. Any advice on this would be great as I don't want to just plunge in and ruin it. Thanks in advance!
Pete
aristomatic

Re: Jubilee Riviera Decals

Post by aristomatic »

Welcome Pete

Pix would be helpful
denney_design

Post by denney_design »

Hi, yes, apologies, was going to but only just worked out how to do it, should see it now?
151775572_10221998260779143_4891699620792559861_o.jpg

aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thx for pix. Although a x2nd pix in darker room may help others judge extent of damage? Looks a smart enough example of an OXO Riviera. I've always avoided using touchup paint on any artwork unless it's black and usually where I'm only touching up a black background!

You can buy replacement artwork from a number of sources on ebay, however, unless your artwork is being custom made I would, although more costly, source an original replacement. Members here may have these. Sometimes, if they do, they can appear on ebay for sale very soon. You can contact Henry Powell, a commercial restorer, maybe more likely to have originals in stock.

If you decide on buying replacement artwork or originals, please ensure before buying, that the mechanism actually pays the same as that shown on your current award cards. Is it 2 pulls/coin?

Obviously others will have differing opinions and advice so make sure you listen to all before you decide what's best for you. You can also utilise the search function for previous similar threads.
brigham

Post by brigham »

That's a Powell's conversion. If you contact Henry Powell Automatics, you may find that new artwork is in stock.
denney_design

Post by denney_design »

Great, thanks so much for your advice. The cable had been cut so I had fun re-wiring it and at the point I turned the lights on I saw where the artwork had crazed....wouldn't really know with the lights off; looks great either way.

I shall contact Henry Powell and see what I can find out. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Is it 2 pulls/coin?' It takes old 5ps and has paid out 50p with 3 X's.

Cheers, Pete
Attachments
20210301_094423a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

How many plays do you get for one coin?
Just one, or two?
The artwork is slightly different in each case.
I see you have the reserve flap rivetted out of use; a Powell's speciality, to save arguments.
If you drill out the rivet, you will probably find the flap, and 'reserved' label, still intact and useable.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Hello Pete,

Some machines are 1 pull per coin, others 2 pulls per coin. Many original fruit symbol machines were converted to OXO style machines. They were for a time period far more popular and profitable than the previous old style fruit symbol version.

Usually when conversion was done original glass to right of reels was replaced with a perspex plate showing coinage to be used. If you look online, the majority of conversions have matching colourway above/below. Henry may only have 3 stars pays £2 in black, however, if £2 matches your payout and he has one in good condition, I wouldn't be bothered about it. I would just be happy that it looks great all lit up!
denney_design

Post by denney_design »

Ah I see, you get 1 play per coin. That's quite interesting about the reserve flap.....I tend to play around with old audio equipment etc, so this is new to me.....I did find it put together very securely and hard to access, I suppose to avoid tampering etc.

Nah I definitely wouldn't be worried about it, definitely don't want it to be perfect as I think that's part of its charm!