Weird looking jackpot mechanism & missing jackpot trigger on Mills War Eagle

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotjunky

Weird looking jackpot mechanism & missing jackpot trigger on Mills War Eagle

Post by slotjunky »

Hello all,

I‘m working on a 1931 Mills War Eagle (serial no.: 274111) with skill stop buttons and I ran into an issue with the jack pot and its triggering system. I hope somebody can help.
Here are the things I know about the machine. It was converted to the German market after the war in the 1950s. Since then German legislation did not allow jack pots, the mechanism was deactivated. The mechanism on the side of the jack pot housing was held back by a wire to keep the jack pot flap shut. After I removed the wire the linkage was free and everything moves free and without force. When I release the jack pot by hand I can reset the jack pot by hand. The common push rod to reset the jack pot and to release the reserve jack pot is on the machine. It lines up with the linkage on the jack pot and it would reset if the machine would be pulled again.

At this point there are only two flaps in the jack pot for the lower jack pot function. To me it seems that the linkage for the reserve jack pot is there but the two other flaps/ doors are missing. After going through the linkage I have not found what triggers the jack pot pay out function. I am aware that the top pay out slide triggers the jack pot with a high humb and a linkage which lifts up and releases the lower jack pot lever (missing in my case). But even if it would be there, there is no jack pot dump lever on the left side of the jack pot housing (the side towards the pay out slides). The lever of the bottom jack pot flap/door to release the jack pot is on the other side of the jack pot housing. Here is where I can not figure out how the jack pot is released on this type of jack pot model. I found out by checking the internet that the linkage is different to the ones shown there. The main difference is that there is no lever on the side where the jack pot usually gets triggered. There is not even a bolt hole or a stud where it could be mounted like the ones shown on the internet. There are no signs that something has been modified either. Could it be that this jack pot mechanism is a very early type? Now here are my concerns:

1. Does anybody know how this particular jack pot is triggered (which levers do I need)? Does somebody have a picture of the set up?
2. Can I convert it to a jack pot with the reserve function by just adding the missing flaps/doors since all the linkage is on the side of the housing seem to be complete?

I added some pictures of mine with some notes and one from the internet. If you do not understand what I mean, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you in advance
Attachments
49AB4B3A-F2B7-4AD7-9B1E-CEF6AD094F4Da.jpg
15DC266E-B546-4048-A632-72BC8B2D97C0a.jpg
D95A05DB-8842-4B4E-A2F3-D7633C75DB6C.jpeg
C9DC712C-42A6-47C8-9CAE-B3A05B410D78a.jpg
8FD6A243-D7EF-4C4F-9C24-EEE4647A20A9a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Weird looking jack pot mechanism and missing jack pot trigger on Mills war Eagle

Post by coppinpr »

I think what you have there is the early model jackpot. I've never had one and the two pages below are all I have on them. Hope they are of some help.
Attachments
page 2.jpg
page 1.jpg
treefrog

Re: Weird looking jack pot mechanism and missing jack pot trigger on Mills war Eagle

Post by treefrog »

It is a standard jackpot and you are missing those parts. The stud is the mount for the release locking lever and you are missing both. The locking lever after break or can get wear and more difficult to obtain, although the US suppliers will have them like Dave Berten. I think I have used my spares, although may have a spare stud....

I have edited as reviewing your pictures again, I cannot see the hole where the stud would go, unless my eyes are playing up !LOOK!
slotey

Post by slotey »

You have an early type jackpot. As far as I can see, nothing is missing. The reference to a missing stud is incorrect. There never was one. The jackpot was held closed and released by the payout slides. When all the slides were back, the jackpot would be dumped, and when the slides reset, would be closed. The reserve operated in the usual way with the reset bar. The lever you refer to as the jackpot dump lever is to keep the jackpot closed when the mechanism is removed from the cabinet, to stop it dumping, and unlocks it when replaced. At the base of the mechanism there should be a U-shaped bracket approx 120 mm wide by 75 mm deep with a downward tongue approx 45 mm, just in front of the reel brake pivots, fixed to the base. This will push the lever forward to release the locking mechanism when the mechanism is replaced. If the jackpot does not dump, this lever or bracket needs bending to enable the lever to unlock.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Mr Slotey,

Thanks for posting the info, it is much appreciated.

On a few other forums I'm on, the next post would be from the punctuation police!

*punctuated for clarity (I hope) - Site Admin.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I probably should have known this as I do have early versions but not near me... Is there an upright bar in front of the slides to help put back the jackpot lever, especially for thinner coin slides that would be lower? My 50c old penny jackpot also does not have a locking lever and uses just the slides.
slotjunky

Post by slotjunky »

Hello Slotey,
You made my day! You made it look easy! I tried it out and it works just as you described. Thank you!

I added a picture of the bar you described where the lever releases the jack pot door or locks it when the mechanism is pulled out of the housing.
Maybe it helps somebody else also.

Do you happen to know if I can add the two upper flaps/doors to have a reserve jack pot without any problems on this type of jack pot housing? Or do I have to add some linkage then?
Attachments
39A94D1D-3753-4D04-8A8F-06E76B535702a.jpg
slotey

Post by slotey »

Hi, happy to help.
Looking at the first two images you posted, it still seems that it is all there, unless it is something I cannot see. I have two machines with this type of jack pot, a Roman Head and an Extraordinary, both with skill stops and gold awards. I will have a look within the next few days. If I can spot anything, I will be in touch.
slotey

Re: Weird looking jackpot mechanism & missing jackpot trigger on Mills War Eagle

Post by slotey »

Hi,
I compared the jackpots and still cannot see any missing parts. Don't forget, there are less parts in the older jackpots compared to the newer type. Do you have a copy of the Mead Owners' Pictorial Guide? If so, on page 105 it shows a line diagram of the jackpot coin path that also shows the jackpot doors and spring loaded doors, two of each. If so, which is missing on yours? I do have a spare jackpot, but I am sorry to say it is a keeper and have no intention of parting with. It is possible in the past it may have been converted to a hand-load. I have seen this before on a Bell-o-Matic Four Crown that I still have, but now back to what it should be - this also is a keeper.
slotjunky

Re: Weird looking jackpot mechanism & missing jackpot trigger on Mills War Eagle

Post by slotjunky »

Hello Slotey,

thanks for going into your machine and getting into the details for me! I really appreciate that. Well I do not have a copy of the Mead Owner‘s Pictoral Guide but here is what is missing on my jack pot housing. I found this picture on the internet. I need the reserve deflection plate(A) and the reserve jack pot door (B). And the screws and door shafts with springs to fit the doors. I hope to get then at Dave Burton‘s shop. Do you happen to know the part numbers for these two doors? If everything goes wrong I will have to make them myself or wait until somebody offers the parts on the internet.
Attachments
F381158A-2BC2-4D2C-9170-8576174A5F3D.png
slotey

Post by slotey »

Hi,
The posting photo with the missing bolt indicated sure looks like the reserve jackpot door. The shafts no MLB-2746-A , unfortunately Mills list 3 different deflector plates, and 5 different doors, depending on coin and large and small jackpots, so you will have to make a punt. Yes, that is the diagram I was referring to. Looked on my spare - no numbers on the parts you want.
slotjunky

Post by slotjunky »

Hello Slotey,

thank you for your help! I’ll make it with the information I got from you. Piece by piece it will come together the sooner or later.
Glad you took the time to help! Great effort!