Oliver Whales wood?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brigham

Re: Oliver Whales wood?

Post by brigham »

geofflove wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm So I sanded a bit today. I’m pretty sure it’s mahogany!
Are Waltonian Merchandisers made of mahogany, by any chance?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No, I think they're also oak. The only mahogany cased games that come to mind are pre WW1, like WH Ell's counter-top games.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

So, here’s the machine in the mahogany case. The remaining varnish makes it look a bit more like oak but it’s definitely not. The sides and door are mahogany like the other piece I sanded.
I’m quite keen to get working on it to see how it looks when restored....! The fun bit will be finding some mahogany to replace the bottom, cash door and top piece which usually holds the top flash as these are missing. Oh and a new thumb lever.
Attachments
77A75CA0-90F1-4225-84CE-88C8639D1286a.jpg
BE3EAB32-72A5-4E39-BF4B-205F56E9B875a.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

This exchange illuminates what I believe to be a significant part of the charm of the early British coin-op history. As opposed to the behemoth standardized construction practices of the American arcade and gambling companies, the English manufactures were more similar to Mom and Pop operators, using whatever might be available. No oak left in the inventory? Why not use that mahogany we got somewhere? Throw in the horrible shortages imposed by the two World Wars and you end up with some very inventive components in these period machines. This is not a detraction, but rather a valuable tale-tell marker of historical value. God save the Queen...and your British arcade heritage. These games are irreplaceable.

Affectionately yours,
J Peterson
USA
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:27 pm No, I think they're also oak. The only mahogany cased games that come to mind are pre WW1, like WH Ell's counter-top games.
Don't forget that most of the 1950s Modern Enterprises automatons like Jolly Jack were in mahogany.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

The Oliver Whales Allwin looks to be in a Stevenson and Lovett case.
Those metal corner pieces are also on my Conveyor and Super Steeraball.
The cases on my Oliver Whales are oak and so is my Conveyor.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

My Conveyor isn't oak and could in fact be mahogany...
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

scorpa163 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:59 pm The Oliver Whales Allwin looks to be in a Stevenson and Lovett case.
That’s interesting. Could well be the case. Mix and match I guess.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've had one Conveyor in a solid oak case, and two that were mixed, with same oak outer and probably mahogany doors.

Re: What is your dream machine?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

scorpa163 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:59 pm The Oliver Whales Allwin looks to be in a Stevenson and Lovett case.
I've owned quite a few allwins with those S&L style corner pieces, but they were all plated brass castings, while the originals on my Conveyors were plated steel and not cast but strips spot welded to a backing plate, very nice quality. I always assumed a particular operator liked the look of those corner pieces and had them cast from a steel original, adding them to any brand second hand allwins to make his machines stand out or maybe just easy for him to spot? Pictured below a spare set of originals I sold to a member, wire brushed to remove rust.
Attachments
conveyor-trimsa.jpg
If you look closely at the edges you can see the join lines and the tell-tale spot welds on the back also.
If you look closely at the edges you can see the join lines and the tell-tale spot welds on the back also.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

gameswat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:56 pm Don't forget that most of the 1950s Modern Enterprises automatons like Jolly Jack were in mahogany.
Most of mine are made of Walnut.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Mine certainly isn't mahogany.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Yes, my mistake, been over 20 years since I restored mine and hundreds of other projects have come and gone since so things get easily confused. :burp: