Super Challenger restoration

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
raj

Super Challenger restoration

Post by raj »

Does anyone have a scan of the top flash for a Super Challenger. I can't find one in resourses, only photo's
Attachments
Dropcases1n3.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bradley Challenger Top Flash scan

Post by pennymachines »

The flash above seems to be hand written, which is why I wondered if this oak version was a prototype, but I think I've seen a similar one in recent years. Anyway, it's tricky to scan because disassembly is required to remove it. I lifted one from another Super Challenger, because the dovetailed top of the cabinet was loose, but unfortunately the flash also appears too distressed to copy. Will a close-up photo do?
raj

Post by raj »

I can work with a photo, that would be great. I realised when I posted the picture that the stock photo is of the oak cased example, which is the one I have, which currently has a piece of coloured perspex mounted. I doubt if it went from the factory like that, so the later example of the name marque should be correct I guess.....many thanks.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OK, I was being a wimp. I loosened four screws, a bit of wiggling and viola! It's the later printed version.

I'd like to see a picture of your oak-cased machine.
raj

Post by raj »

Many thanks Mr P...I'll send pictures when it is back together... !THUMBS!
raj

Post by raj »

well, here it is in finished condition. New back, base, cash doors, payout cups, perspex, glass etc etc. A very frustrating rebuild, every screw was rusted or broken, chipboard had been used for the cash box doors & base with bits of an old tool box for the payout cups...... :dammit: :smash:
Attachments
DSCF1527.JPG
DSCF1528.JPG
DSCF1526.JPG
geofflove

Yale locks for Super Challenger

Post by geofflove »

Topic merged- Site Admin.

I’ve just acquired a Holt Super Challenger.

There are no keys for the locks and they may have been damaged anyway so a re key is probably unlikely. Does anyone know of a modern source for similar replacements or anyone got any old ones?
Attachments
EC8E6F02-36BD-4EC2-92F5-7D3F268A99B1a.jpg
EC8E6F02-36BD-4EC2-92F5-7D3F268A99B1a.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
treefrog

Re: Yale locks for super challenger

Post by treefrog »

These Yale square locks are still made as discussed on the Bryans locks thread and cost between £10 and £15 each depending on locksmiths.......I bought 10 at £10 each a couple of years ago
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for that. I must admit I started with the assumption they wouldn’t be available and went from there... how wrong was I?!

A bit of searching suggests they look like Yale lock s236. Prices seem to vary from £9 to £25! I need to get the machine open to confirm the barrel is the same etc but looks like a result. Thanks!

A couple more questions.....
My machine needs a bit of a general tidy, removing some scratches in the wood and but appears to be working ok. Looking at pics the original cash door had the same Formica surface as the main case front. However, mine looks like it’s been replaced at some point and is a cheap, plain piece of wood. Not making the mistake of assumption above does anyone know if this stuff is still available in that pattern. Go on, amaze me! Assuming not and someone doesn’t have an old cash door lying around they want to sell I’m thinking the alternative is to make a nicer wood replacement. The case looks like it might be beech. Is that correct?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You would be lucky, very very lucky to find the same Formica. I oddly like old '60s Formica on machines and stands, but impossible to get the same today with the classic patterns as well as same thickness and quality.

Beech comes to mind on these. I know they are bloody heavy. !OMFG!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Yale locks for Super Challenger

Post by pennymachines »

Bradley Challengers are heavy. Super Challengers are on a par with similar sized allwins.
1960s kitchen furniture is a potential source of period Formica, but matching a specific pattern would be a challenge. You can get bespoke laminates made to any pattern, but surely not a cost-effective option.
Attachments
table.jpg
huxley

Post by huxley »

I have just brought a Challenger and doing a bit of a referb on it too and watching.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

So I’ve finished working on the challenger! It didn’t need too much doing really. Thanks to help on here I found new identical locks (amazing!) for it. Put a new back on, good clean, waxed the case, one new glass to replace a chipped one.
I haven’t done the cash box door which had been replaced. It’s not too bad but would love to find some suitable Formica or maybe a piece of beech to replace it.
Thanks for the help!
Attachments
827D0E6B-1CAF-4A55-864D-D2B41B6A2100a.jpg
huxley

Post by huxley »

Looks really good. My Challenger has a yellow formica theme. I need to sort the coin divert wheel and turn knob as my one had blanked off !!!

Would there be any chance you could email me some pictures of the coin divert wheel and internal mechanism please so we can make a replacement?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, it looks very smart now - Super! !THUMBS!
huxley wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm Would there be any chance you could email me some pictures of the coin divert wheel and internal mechanism please so we can make a replacement?
There's a picture of the internals on the first page of this newly merged topic.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

huxley wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm Looks really good. My Challenger has a yellow formica theme. I need to sort the coin divert wheel and turn knob as my one had blanked off !!!

Would there be any chance you could email me some pictures of the coin divert wheel and internal mechanism please so we can make a replacement?
Mr PM has pointed you to a good pic now I think. It’s not clear from the pic but the drive band is a continuous spring on mine. If you can’t get that I’m sure you can improvise with some sort of elastic cord although prob not as long lived. Let me know if you need any other pics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Super Challenger restoration

Post by badpenny »

As a child did you play with Mamod Steam Engines?
They use looped springs as drive belts. One end is tapered so you can twist it securely into the other end.

They can still be purchased https://www.mamodonline.co.uk/index.php ... mod-spares
So long as you cut the non tapered end of the spring you can cut to size.

BP :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have seen a few and owned at least one of these where the deflection wheel had been removed and replaced with a red covering. I have never found the control on these to be particularly useful anyway......
brigham

Post by brigham »

Not much use as a skill device; lots of fun as far as gameplay goes.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

badpenny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm As a child did you play with Mamod Steam Engines?
They use looped springs as drive belts. One end is tapered so you can twist it securely into the other end.

They can still be purchased https://www.mamodonline.co.uk/index.php ... mod-spares
So long as you cut the non tapered end of the spring you can cut to size.

BP :cool:
I’ve still got the one I had as a child! It still has its original spring drive! These are much smaller diameter than the one on the Challenger though. I guess the Mamod one is about 2mm diameter whereas the one on my Challenger is perhaps 4mm.