Duo Mat clockwork question

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Duo Mat clockwork question

Post by geofflove »

I restored a Duomat about a year ago. Mechanically it was all gummed up solid. I stripped all the main pivot points, cleaned lubricated etc and all was working nicely.

Partly through fear, and partly because it was then working fine, I didn’t touch the clockwork timer. It’s now started sticking. Sometimes the timer doesn’t start whirring. I’m assuming it’s gummed up to some degree, as a nudge gets it’s going again.

So the question, before I attempt it, is does anyone have any experience of cleaning these? Will it come off easily and would a brush over the gears with some alcohol likely clean them up, or will it need a more comprehensive strip? And hints on what to do and what not to do before I bugger it up?

Thanks
treefrog

Re: Duo mat clockwork question

Post by treefrog »

You could soak in cleaner product. I have never needed to, and cleaned with white spirit etc... The main cause of clocks sticking is the governor, which you can strip, clean and refit. You can adjust speed with the screw on the end.
geofflove

Re: Duo mat clockwork question

Post by geofflove »

Ok thanks. Yes I suspect it could be the governor. Hopefully all will come clear when I get it off. Thanks.
tallstory

Re: Duo Mat clockwork question

Post by tallstory »

I put the whole clock unit into an ultrasonic bath and then lubricated the pivot points as I didn't want to disassemble the mechanism. I had visions of springs and wheels flying everywhere. However the governor is easy to remove and take apart without undoing the main clockwork parts.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Yes I did wonder about doing this. Once I get it off I’ll see what it’s like.
nosmit

Post by nosmit »

I am currently restoring an Exacta with the same issues. The Mech completely bummed up. As I didn't want to start stripping down the clock to it component parts I removed it and gave it a good squirt of brake cleaner from all angles. Once dried, which it does quickly, oil all the brass lubricating point with a clock or sowing machine oil. Attach the bottom arm so you can run it through its cycle a few times.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

nosmit wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:56 amor sowing machine oil

sowing machine.jpg
sowing machine.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

Oil for this would be too thick. Try oil for this... Much better :lol:
sewing machine.jpg
sewing machine.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Resist the temptation to oil the internals of the clock. You should only oil the backs of the bearings from the back.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

coppinpr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 am Try oil for this... Much better
Ha ha. Yes!
badpenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 am Resist the temptation to oil the internals of the clock. You should only oil the backs of the bearings from the back.
Yep - will do. Thanks.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks all for proving me with the confidence to have a go at this. It proved easier than I feared!
I removed the governor and all looked clean and well until I actually tried to move the two weights which were gummed up solid. A bit of alcohol and all is well again.

Next question. The white ball which is the roulette marker ball on the main wheel is in a bit of a state. I’d already glued bits back once but it’s fallen off again and feel it’s probably beyond repair. It’s a white plastic ball 18mm in diameter. I’ve found a delrin plastic ball of the same size on eBay which I could use but understand it’s not that easy to glue. Anyone any experience of this or any alternatives?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Isn't it just a ball with a protruding spike which sticks in a hole in the wheel?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, I changed one using same Delrin balls and drilled a hole, as close to the size of the screw head, filled with a strong glue and tap in to right depth. Then leave 24 hours to cure.......worked for me !THUMBS!
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Great. Will give it a try. Thanks.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

geofflove wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 pm I removed the governor and all looked clean and well until I actually tried to move the two weights which were gummed up solid. A bit of alcohol and all is well again.
Beware... I have used this trick before... one of my old jukeboxes sounded awful... but after 10 pints of Guinness it sounded fantastic. Unfortunately the following day it sounded even worse.

:D

all the best.... Dicky