Pugh Automatics: Prospector & Rolitina

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brigham

Pugh Automatics: Prospector & Rolitina

Post by brigham »

Topic split - Site Admin.

Does anyone remember an interesting single-player machine called 'Prospector'?
It had a roll-down coin chute, fairground-style, and your penny rolled into a slatted wooden belt, moving across the field of play. If it happened to be the winning distance into the belt, it struck a payout trip.
I've seen exactly two, both side-by-side at Butlin's Filey. They were a regular fixture for a year or two, then they were gone. I found them in a little yard behind the arcade, with the glass missing, and the wooden slats scattered over the playing field. A depressing sight among all the jollity.
The sound they made in operation was distinctive. The whole thing reminded me of the escalators I'd met on the London tube, during our regular Motor Show week-end.
The chances of one turning up are probably remote. They may have been the only two!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Dennis Jezzard Sprint Track

Post by badpenny »

I recall that, now you've mentioned and described it. Strangely I saw them in Butlin's Ayr (early 60s I guess).

BP :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Prospector

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I know the game. They are quite rare. Last time I visited (many years ago) there was one operating in the arcade at Watermouth Castle. One turned up on ebay in 2003 (didn't sell for much) and on ebay USA in 2015. This latter one was repatriated to the UK and appeared at the Elephant House in November 2016. It didn't sell and reappeared there February 2017. Again it failed to sell. I guess the reserve reflected the cost of buying it from the States and shipping. I was tempted to bid, but like others, I guess, was afraid of the flack I'd get for bringing such a 'monster' home. There was also a multi-player prize vending version in a different cabinet.
brigham wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pmI found them in a little yard behind the arcade, with the glass missing, and the wooden slats scattered over the playing field.
No chance of rescuing them?
Roll coins into slots in a continuous moving belt in order to reach the payout points, whereupon coins paid out tumble down glass above playfield and into the payout cup. Working on old penny play, currently on 110v operation
Size approx: 23.5 inches (59.7 cm) wide by 69.5 inches (176.5 cm) high by 32 inches (81.3 cm) deep

Attachments
at EH 2017
at EH 2017
at EH 2016
at EH 2016
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay US 2015
on eBay 2003
on eBay 2003
on eBay 2003
on eBay 2003
on eBay 2003
on eBay 2003
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It looks as if Gunther Wulff castings have been recycled to be employed as pay out trays.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I have owned two of these, so there should be a couple more out there. There is also a version with a circular turntable which turned up at the Elephant House, the Rolitina, went for £50.
brigham

Post by brigham »

So there are some known to exist! I wasn't expecting that!
I tried to rescue one of the Butlins ones. I asked whether it would be possible to buy one for use at home, but my grandma just said "come away from there".
I don't remember the payout mech. There again, I didn't often win. Looks like winning was fairly rare.
It's now high on my list of things to find. All sightings gratefully received!

PS. The payout castings recovered from scrapped machines...
That sounds like Oliver Whales.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As BP says, the payout castings are definitely reclaimed Gunter Wulff, but what we haven't established is who made the Prospector. If I once knew I've forgotten...
As for chances of winning, there's a rheostat. Slowing the travelling slats would surely make it easier to roll a coin between them.
Attachments
prospector2.jpg
prospector3.jpg
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

I enclose an original letter and B/W Picture from January 3rd 1964. This will hopefully answer the question of who made Prospector.
Attachments
PROS-3a-.jpg
PROS-2-b.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I shipped the EH Prospector back from the US along with some other machines.
The exhibition photo and letter are great, I love the animated figures above the play field.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I bought the rolitina for £50 😱
At the EH
It's was packed and the machine was facing the auctioneer side on and know one could see
It. It started at 50 and I was the only bidder
U were about to put your hand up PM
I was next to you and I held your hands down 😂
And told u it was another machine and not this one we were both leaning on 👍
Big machine got it home and plugged it in and worked perfect think it was one of Clive's off southport pier
It's got is stickers on
Big old pennies only
Attachments
rolatina1a.jpg
rolatina2a.jpg
rolatina3a.jpg
rolatina4a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

moonriver wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm I shipped the EH Prospector back from the US along with some other machines.
The exhibition photo and letter are great, I love the animated figures above the play field.
Do you still have it?
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

I am the owner of the EH machine. I bought it privately and it is currently working in my no 1 arcade at Merrivale model village, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Ready and willing to take your pennies. Happy playing.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I can't think of a better place for it to be!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes nice that it is in an operating environment. I remember it at the Elephant and as mentioned wondered about the speed of the motor as it seemed to run so quickly with no time for a coin to slide in, maybe intentional. !PUZZLED!
brigham

Post by brigham »

mr merrivale wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 pm I am the owner of the eh machine. I bought it privately and it is currently working in my no 1 arcade at Merrivale model village, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Ready and willing to take your pennies. Happy playing.
The first time I missed my annual trip to Gt. Yarmouth, and look what I missed!
I'm going to visit this year. I always stay at Wroxham, so I'll have TWO to play at.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Very cool to have found so much about this obscure game, especially the paperwork. I reckon the one at Watermouth Castle was/is? a multi-station model like the advert. These are proper arcade pieces, so it's good to hear the one from the EH is now being enjoyed by the public in Great Yarmouth. I was going to post something about the Rolitina because it's obviously a close cousin of Prospector, but couldn't recall the name. Also, I failed to take decent pictures of it. Do we know if this is also Pugh Automatics? I suggested to Clive he could saw it down the middle, converting it into two more manageable/saleable Rolitinas... !!BOOO!!
Attachments
160.jpg
mr merrivale

Re: Prospector & Rolitina

Post by mr merrivale »

The Watermouth Castle machine is a single player the same as mine but now on 2p play.
Watermouth Castle is a real must place to visit, a really good mix of everything for the family and my favourite family park in the UK.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

So it had grown bigger in my imagination. Presumably 2p would slip more easily between those slats.
brigham

Post by brigham »

mr merrivale wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:35 am The Watermouth Castle machine is a single player the same as mine but now on 2p play...
Horrible... How horrible...
brigham

Post by brigham »

I've recovered from my bout of depression (see above), and I am now proud owner of the Rolitina.
There's nothing which specifically mentions Pugh Automatics, but I'd guess it is their work.
Does anyone know any of its history? There are two player positions, and the right-hand one at least appears to have been in use fairly recently; it has been given a later payout solenoid, but still on old penny. This has a 50v coil, and there is an overly-large transformer, presumably ex-BFM, just to operate it. The payout relay switches the transformer!
Other mods are evident, but the whole thing is in remarkable condition, considering that it must have been obsolete at decimalization. It looks wonderful when lit up.