Pugh Automatics: Prospector & Rolitina

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mr merrivale

Re: Prospector & Rolitina

Post by mr merrivale »

Well done. Your machine was Clive Baker's on Southport Pier, then went to Little John when he ran Anna Carter's arcade, then sold at EH auctions and now to you. Have fun.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Thanks for the info., much appreciated. It has the corrosion you would associate with seaside use, but then, haven't they all!
It's the biggest brute I've ever had, by far. Good job I've got more space now.
The payout is simple; no stepper, just multiple coin switches. I'll let you know when it's all up and running.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This example at Dingles Heritage Museum is in a narrower flat-fronted cabinet.
Attachments
3954972_orig.jpg
automatics

Pugh Automatics

Post by automatics »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello, just wondering, are there still any Pugh Automatic machines out there?

Arthur Pugh was my grandfather and I have fond memories of his Leigh on Sea factory, although I was very young at the time! (he may have finished building by this time). My mother has just passed onto me a scrap book full of newspaper articles and photographs of his machines. I know the machines he made were sold through Cromptons, but I understand he did leave a maker's mark inside (I actually have an envelope full of his water transfer logos somewhere). I won’t tell you how much of the old spare parts eventually had to go to the tip... Are there any still out there?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Pugh Automatics

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site automatics!

There are indeed a few of your grandfather's fascinating Prospectors around the country. I played one many years ago at Watermouth Castle, but I'm not sure it's still there. There's one at Percival's Old Amusement Arcade and another excellent working example at Merrivale Model Village, operated by forum member mr merrivale.

Perhaps you can confirm whether the Rolitina was also a Pugh game. I'm not the only one who'd love to see scans here from your scrapbook. !!THUMBSX2!!
automatics

Post by automatics »

Hi pennymachines,

I can confirm that the Rolitina is a Pugh Automatics machine as shown in the attached picture (Arthur Pugh looking skyward to the left).
Attachments
Pugh2a.jpg
Pugh1a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Splendid pictures.
Great to have Rolitina confirmed as one of yours. The construction is so like Prospector that I felt sure it was.
Mine's the two-position type. Good to see that a single-play version was available.
I remember the artwork on the Mississippi Gambler very well, but I can't recall the gameplay. A very early pusher, perhaps?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Those are brilliant pictures thank you. Very cool and unusual to see a work-in-progress factory interior image.
The single player Rolitina looks very appealing. I'd love to see more images/cuttings. !PRAY!!

Do you know the trading period of your grandfather's company? Unfortunately, it is one of the few not included in Paul Braithwaite's otherwise comprehensive Arcades and Slot Machines. This four-player hexagonal Prospector appears to have been made in the 1930s, judging by the style. It rewards the player with boxed gifts, not coins and its slatted disc is similar to the Rolitina. Perhaps this is Prospector Mk1?
Attachments
prospector-30sBW.jpg