Sega Progressive Star

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Sega Progressive Star

Post by malcymal »

Guys, I've seen these ugly looking plates on front of Segas? Can you tell me what's gone on for this to be on there? e.g. has something been chopped, mucked about with. There's another one on eBay right now, nice looking for machine that has been totally uglified with the plate under the denominator badge?
Attachments
8027_1.JPG
andy g

Re: Sega on Ebay - What is that ugly bit at top ??

Post by andy g »

The plate is covering the hole where the progressive meter should be. The top glass is also incorrect - it should be a progressive glass (the one fitted is the same as on my Diamond 3 Star).
Attachments
meter2.jpg
meter2.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
sega progressive star 1b.jpg
sega progressive star 1b.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Oh right, so I assume you call the attendant for a 'hand pay' then if you hit the jackpot?? Thanks for this, never seen a photo of one until you posted yours! appreciated.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Unlike the melons and bars, the 3 star award was not paid by the machine. An attendant had to be present to pay out the cash over the bar. The correct Progressive Star display panel shows "100 coins plus meter reading". When the attendant paid the winner, the meter would be reset to zero with a key. In later years, this method of payout was outlawed and all wins had to be paid by the machine.

I have one of these machines myself. It had been converted from 6d play to 5p (shilling size) in the early 1970s and has a Shefras escalator. The reel tapes (also from Shefras) differ slightly with the stars printed inside a ring shape and not combined with the lemon-orange-bar as was the case with most machines. The 3 stars then paid another jackpot. An extra cherry (in place of a bell) is on the first reel. This was probably to put the payout above 75 per cent. Remember, the old 5p coin was larger than the 6d and the jackpot could not hold so many coins. However, I removed the paint and body filler off the top right hand part of the casing and I now have the meter working visibly.

As for currency, It now works with 20p coins. The rejector needed only a slight modification and a smaller coin entry was made to stop the new size 10p coins from being inserted. I bought the machine for £25 nearly 36 years ago. Not a bad deal? Well, that was a week of take home pay in those day when Guinness and Stella was onlt 25p a pint!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Is the meter operated mechanically or electrically?
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hi
The meter is mechanically operated by the coin advance bar on the mech,
20 plays adds 1 to the meter. The two pictures show the meter on a Sega light-up and a Continental.
Attachments
lite-upa.jpg
continentala.jpg
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

On my Progressive, the Philip Shefras escalator presumably could have linked up the meter but when I bought mine, the 3 stars meter had a label stuck over it and informed players that 3 stars paid a jackpot. To get the meter working, I hooked up a large tension spring to hang down from the meter incrementor lever to the coin advance crank. When I saw your picture, it shows me what should be inside but part of mine had been taken out years ago. Not to worry; it still works even if it isn't a standard fitting.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Chris Rideout wrote:....... Not to worry; it still works even if it isn't a standard fitting.
Yay! "bodging" the bastard child of invention whose mother was necessity and the music track was done by Frank Zappa ....... pauses to take today's medication and rejoins the world of the straights! :oops:
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Andy G wrote:Hi
The meter is mechanically operated by the coin advance bar on the mech, 20 plays adds 1 to the meter. The two pictures show the meter on a Sega light-up and a Continental.
Re the first picture, there should also be a meter on the inside of the progressive Star. It is a small 5 digit affair and increments by 1 unit each time the handle is pulled. Mine is there and I also think some Sega machines had a 3 digit door opening meter which (obviously) counted the number of times the back door had been opened. I am not too sure where it was fitted. Mine was found in the coin box amongst a few springs, nuts, bolts, etc. when I bought it. Also, my machine has a long slot cut into the "back bonnet" fitted with a plastic window. It enables the internal meter to be read without taking the machine apart. I don't know how many Sega machines had this modification.
brianh

Sega Progressive Star coin jam

Post by brianh »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi, all.

I recently acquired a Sega Progressive Star as pic. All seems to run well (apart from needing a good clean inside) other than a small problem with the sixpences. First handle pull is fine but on second or third coin the handle locks and the coins jam. Seems to be where arrowed as a slight tug on this bar or a gentle nudge of the end coin with a screwdriver releases the jam and a spring shoots the coin(s) across and releases the handle.

Is there anything obvious I should be looking at before I "go in" ? (apologies for terminology but my first Sega so I'm not sure of the parts yet)

Thanks
Attachments
sega4[5662]a.jpg
sega.insidea.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Sega Progressive Star coin jam

Post by coppinpr »

The first thing to do is remove the escalator, dismantle it completely, and clean it. It will be dirty and it might be worn. When you get it apart, you will see where the coins have worn the inside plates. If this is very bad it can cause a permanent problem, but usually, a good clean and polish will overcome the problem. Also, check the coin detector pin is not out of line and jamming the coin. Another common problem is protruding screws. This is covered in this excellent post by BP: Escalators

Not sure I understand your comment,
brianh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 pma spring shoots the coin(s) across and releases the handle.
. It should be just the opposite - pulling the handle should move the coin forward at a stately pace to its end position; the spring should then shoot the coin carrier back to the start position without bothering the coin.
grains

Post by grains »

Hi brianh,
That's a nice machine you have there.
Does your machine still have the progressive meter unit at the top of the machine in the front casting above the escalator? This is would be located behind the blanking plate with the 6d sign.
I have been working on my machine for a while and discovered the blanking plate had been filled flat with body filler to disguise it. After many hours of scraping I managed to get it back close to how it should have looked.
Now I need to find a meter unit and reset lock to fit behind the plate.
It might be worth checking if your plate has been filled over.
Cheers
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for your advice coppinpr, and pointer to BP's post - I'll have a good look at the escalator over the next few days - I assume dismantling it is fairly starightforward (ref spring, you are of course right - I should've gone to specsavers !LOOK! )

Hi grains - simple answer is no - nothing behind the plate apart from empty space. What would this look like in a complete machine and is mine simply a lower spec version? Yours looks pretty neat :cool:
Attachments
sega-insidea.jpg
grains

Post by grains »

There is a really useful thread about the Sega Progressive Stars with pictures of the meters. * Now merged above - Site Admin.

I believe they did have meters originally and these were mostly removed or covered over when the legislation changed preventing the hand payout of prizes by attendants.
Does your machine also have the Stars on the reel bands, as this would have awarded the meter prize?
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for info grains - there is no reference to a meter on the machine and there are no stars on the reels so I guess this one was converted from the original and new reel strips (they are quite "new" looking) and new blanking plate fitted. So I will leave that part as is and concentrate on getting the machine operational properly - plus replacing the wiring for the lighting as someone kindly cut the wire off close to the machine (presumably to allow it to be sold at auction without the need for electrical testing :zapa: )
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

If you have the stars combined on the reel tapes (lemon - orange - bar) it is the "CS" (combined star) setup.
If you have the stars printed individually on the reels it is the "IS" (independent star) setup with a rings around each star. The stars on mine pay another jackpot. I found a meter soon after I bought the machine and all is working as it should do. It increments 1 unit every 20 spins. The meter reading on average shows 400 in 8000 plays but will rise up to 9999 if need be.

The Shefras escalator has been generally well behaved since I bought the machine. You will need to hook a spring from the escalator to the meter to get it working. I never saw the proper connecter until summer 2012. I had owned the Progressive Star since September 1974!