Sega Progressive Star

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: Sega Progressive Star coin jam

Post by coppinpr »

The first thing to do is remove the escalator, dismantle it completely, and clean it. It will be dirty and it might be worn. When you get it apart, you will see where the coins have worn the inside plates. If this is very bad it can cause a permanent problem, but usually, a good clean and polish will overcome the problem. Also, check the coin detector pin is not out of line and jamming the coin. Another common problem is protruding screws. This is covered in this excellent post by BP: Escalators

Not sure I understand your comment,
brianh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 pma spring shoots the coin(s) across and releases the handle.
. It should be just the opposite - pulling the handle should move the coin forward at a stately pace to its end position; the spring should then shoot the coin carrier back to the start position without bothering the coin.
grains

Post by grains »

Hi brianh,
That's a nice machine you have there.
Does your machine still have the progressive meter unit at the top of the machine in the front casting above the escalator? This is would be located behind the blanking plate with the 6d sign.
I have been working on my machine for a while and discovered the blanking plate had been filled flat with body filler to disguise it. After many hours of scraping I managed to get it back close to how it should have looked.
Now I need to find a meter unit and reset lock to fit behind the plate.
It might be worth checking if your plate has been filled over.
Cheers
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for your advice coppinpr, and pointer to BP's post - I'll have a good look at the escalator over the next few days - I assume dismantling it is fairly starightforward (ref spring, you are of course right - I should've gone to specsavers !LOOK! )

Hi grains - simple answer is no - nothing behind the plate apart from empty space. What would this look like in a complete machine and is mine simply a lower spec version? Yours looks pretty neat :cool:
Attachments
sega-insidea.jpg
grains

Post by grains »

There is a really useful thread about the Sega Progressive Stars with pictures of the meters. * Now merged above - Site Admin.

I believe they did have meters originally and these were mostly removed or covered over when the legislation changed preventing the hand payout of prizes by attendants.
Does your machine also have the Stars on the reel bands, as this would have awarded the meter prize?
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for info grains - there is no reference to a meter on the machine and there are no stars on the reels so I guess this one was converted from the original and new reel strips (they are quite "new" looking) and new blanking plate fitted. So I will leave that part as is and concentrate on getting the machine operational properly - plus replacing the wiring for the lighting as someone kindly cut the wire off close to the machine (presumably to allow it to be sold at auction without the need for electrical testing :zapa: )
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

If you have the stars combined on the reel tapes (lemon - orange - bar) it is the "CS" (combined star) setup.
If you have the stars printed individually on the reels it is the "IS" (independent star) setup with a rings around each star. The stars on mine pay another jackpot. I found a meter soon after I bought the machine and all is working as it should do. It increments 1 unit every 20 spins. The meter reading on average shows 400 in 8000 plays but will rise up to 9999 if need be.

The Shefras escalator has been generally well behaved since I bought the machine. You will need to hook a spring from the escalator to the meter to get it working. I never saw the proper connecter until summer 2012. I had owned the Progressive Star since September 1974!