Carters Steam Fair

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jimmycowman

Carters Steam Fair

Post by jimmycowman »

I know Carters had an auction of slot machines in 2016, but on their traveling steam fair do they still have any slot matches left to see and play on? (Sorry if I've asked before, I can't remember). 🙄😳
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Carters Steam Fair

Post by pennymachines »

It's still advertised on the website and currently in your area.

jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes that's interesting 👍. I must try and get to one of their steam fairs. I don't think it's many times they do the Midlands 👍
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It was Kevin who used his arcade after Joby sold his, but not sure the arcade goes out on most runs...
JC

Post by JC »

I am pretty sure that until lockdown last year, Kevin operated with Carters throughout the season.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

CARTERS steam fair is currently in Beacon Park, Lichfield till the 1st August. Going myself today! !!RAYOF!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hopefully the rain will let up for a bit. Let us know if the penny arcade is in attendance. !THUMBS!
!!PHOTO!! (hint hint)
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Went to Carters Steam Fair today in Victoria Park, Bath. The Arcade is not in attendance. :cry:
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes, I went yesterday same place and spoke to him - says he's short-staffed on one other ride and the dodgems aren't there either. What is there is quite impressive.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I understand fairgrounds have to make all their money in the limited hours they're on a pitch, and do so completely at the mercy of the British weather and fair ride signs are changed higher and lower reflecting how busy the crowds are.
However, there is a tipping point between taking advantage of high footfall when it comes, and sheer greed. Charging up to £1 for one old penny is not conducive to good customer relations.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Reposting an announcement from FaceBook

Sad News from Joby Carter: - 📣
Joby Carter wrote:A message from Joby Carter:
It is with a heavy heart that I am making this announcement today. After much consideration and research, we have taken the decision that this tour will be our final tour. We are looking for a permanent home and a new owner for the fair.

When John and Anna Carter, (my parents) started the fair in 1977, they wanted it to be for the many and not the few. They were passionate about preserving fairground history at a time when other showmen were chasing the latest styles and innovations. In 2000 dad sadly passed away after a 12-month battle with cancer. His meticulous attention to detail and premium values are the legacy that defines us as a family and as a business today. Thanks to the support of the extended Carters family and our loyal fans, the fair has become much bigger than my dad could ever have expected. But with great success comes great responsibility.

As private keepers of heritage, we have invested thousands of hours over the years to ensure that these rides could be enjoyed by so many. We have spared no expense on restoring these rides to the condition they once were when they were new, even painting by hand and using real gold leaf. We are so proud to see this unique bit of British fairground history being enjoyed by our visitors. The interest in the fair and its unique artwork has never been higher. We had a bumper year in 2021 with over 100,000 visitors and we expect to see even more visitors in 2022.
We have been looking for suitable land for the fair to be placed on and have talked to the council and other landowners around the UK. As a family run business with expertise in restoration and travelling the fair, we have done our best to familiarise ourselves with the endless details of planning laws, highway regulations and heritage and culture grants. But it is an enormous task that we simply cannot do alone. We are now facing the reality that the best future for the fair is for it to be re-homed on a permanent site and operated by someone else. I’m confident that the next owners can share in this success but for us as a family, it’s time to pass the baton and let someone else continue the magic.

So what does this mean for you, our fans?
If you are thinking of visiting us this year, our 2022 tour will carry on as planned to each location we have published. Please take as many photos and videos as you can and make some lovely memories with your family. Tag us in them using #Carters2022 so we can be a part of the fun. We can’t wait to see you!

For those of you that haven’t yet made plans to visit, we thought that by sharing this update today, we could ensure that no-one felt they had missed out. We are open at Pinkneys Green this weekend and will be hosting our final vintage vehicle parade- take the time to watch if you can! We then have events planned until October which you can see here: https://www.carterssteamfair.co.uk/2022-tour-dates/

We are always so amazed by the support we have from our fans: your loyalty and enthusiasm is always incredible. You can help us by sharing this post so we can raise awareness and help the fair find its forever home.

You can read more about our plans to sell the fair in the full statement on our website.
https://www.carterssteamfair.co.uk/this ... -final.../
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Let's hope it stays together and in the UK 🇬🇧
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Final tour this year. Lichfield 23rd July to August 7th. Localish to me so will go. Does anyone know if the penny arcade will be there?
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

I don't know the answer but I thought they sold off their penny arcade (or at least the machines in it) quite a long time ago.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Carters have been in Victoria Park in Bath since 13th August, finishing 29th (I think).
Sadly there is no penny arcade. Kevin, auctioneer from Coventry, has had his arcade with them a few times since Carters sold their arcade and machines. He didn't travel it with Carters last year due to Covid. Very sad to see the fair for the last time.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Has a buyer been found yet?
kevingamlen

Post by kevingamlen »

I will be appearing with the arcade at Croxley Green next weekend.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Excellent news Kevin
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes good news. We can only wish some day you will come back and do a live auction like the good old days... 😁😁In the buying form of collecting...