Caille Bros. Detroit Ben Hur Slot Machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
katja

Caille Bros. Detroit Ben Hur Slot Machine

Post by katja »

Hello anyone, I come from Germany and bought a Ben Hur slot machine that is in great need a renovation. I have made it my hobby to restore old machines and I would like to tackle the project. Unfortunately, parts are missing that I can't find in any of the photos. Can someone help me and offer me photos of missing parts or even original parts? I would be really grateful for help. Greetings katja
Attachments
20210620_112640a.jpg
20210620_112345a.jpg
20210620_112321a.jpg
20210620_112336a.jpg
16276225635982642066792384758181a.jpg
16276224615885267400947031239046a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Caille Bros. Detroit Ben Hur Slot Machine

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site katja!

That is quite a project. I believe your machine is a Clement & Whales Commercial or Greyhounds - see discussion in this topic: Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines. There are one or two close-ups of the mechanism in that topic, but I'm sure we can supply more, as required. Is the disc missing?

You might also find this restoration video helpful:

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi katja

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your post.
I've had four such machines and have always had to have the machine in front of me to follow the cycle and see what interacts with what. Interestingly each of my machines was slightly different.
There should be a strong spring from the bolt in the base which attaches to the rewind lever on the clock.
You show one photo of the back of the mech which is missing a mass of stuff missing around the slides/release and reset but your last photo shows the same scene but with all of the things intact.
Also it looks as if the lever on the front that attaches to the handle is missing.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

katja

Post by katja »

Hello, Thanks for the quick replies! I got the clockwork with the strong spring to run! I was able to reconstruct parts that are missing on the back. The lever that is attached to the handle and another part, see photo! The turntable is missing! I constructed one myself until I got an original. Unfortunately I don't know how and where to attach it, there is nothing where I can attach it. In addition, the gear is missing! I suspect that the turntable is attached to the gear. Does anyone have the dimensions of the gear and a photo? A photo of the front without the turntable could help me a lot so that I can see the parts! Thank you in advance for answers!
Greetings Katja
Attachments
20210802_082642_resizeda.jpg
20210802_082627_resizeda.jpg
20210802_082614_resizeda.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:You might also find this restoration video helpful
Very interesting Mr pm, has anyone used the 'white grease' lubricant that he sprayed on the moving parts?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know of a couple of modern grease compounds that claim not to dry out like the stuff our Dads plastered on our bike chains.
Which of course resulted in our Mams chewing our ears because it ended up on our socks.

However, drying out isn't the only issue with grease. It also attracts and retains grit, dust and dirt in general.

BP :tut
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have fully converted to grease now on most moving parts except where there are oil points and items like clocks.

Every machine I have stripped and rebuilt before getting into the hands of collectors were caked in it for a good reason, it works and does not dry out quickly like oil. Every machine I have serviced only using oil, needed redoing after a short period of inactivity. Grease takes a long time to dry or go hard.......so oil not grease IMO is bad advise.. :tut
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

katja wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:36 am The turntable is missing! I constructed one myself until I got an original. Unfortunately I don't know how and where to attach it, there is nothing where I can attach it. In addition, the gear is missing! I suspect that the turntable is attached to the gear.
I'm guessing by 'turntable' you're referring to the coloured front disc? It does appear that your mechanism is missing the large perforated payout cog which (after spinning) determines the stop position and detects if any payout is due, plus the attached disc-supporting wheel. I don't have one to hand at present, but maybe somebody can oblige with better pictures/dimensions.

Caille-wheel-cog.jpg

Cabinet restore video

treefrog wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:15 pm oil not grease IMO is bad advise.. :tut
I would agree with that. The question now is which is the best grease.
katja

Post by katja »

Hallo, ja genau, ich meine die Frontscheibe! Diese fehlt und ich habe eine selber gemacht, bis ich eine originale finde!! Der Übersetzer hat das falsch geschrieben! Das Bild mit dem Auszahlrad ist genau dass,was mir fehlt!! Vielen Dank dafür! Gibt es davon noch weitere Bilder, oder Maße? Viele Grüße Katja

Edited by Moderator
Hello, yes, I mean the front piece! This is missing and I made one myself until I find an original one !! The translator spelled that wrong! The picture with the pay out wheel is exactly what I'm missing !! Thanks a lot for this! Are there any other pictures or dimensions?
Many greetings Katja

Please include an English (or near as you can lol) version. In order that the insecure don't feel they're being talked about. !!UHOH!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There are several pictures of it here, but unfortunately too small to be very helpful. Anyone got one of these to hand?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I do, but need to dig out , possibly tomorrow unless someone else comes to the rescue. There are at least two type obviously the 25 stop and 50, I do have both, but no access to the 50 stop version…..
katja

Post by katja »

Hello, does someone have some measurements of the spare part for me? I'm not getting any further with my project!
I would be very happy, thank you very much!
Attachments
Screenshot_20210803-125942_Chrome.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Apologies, haven’t had time to dig machine out, I am sure there must be dozens on the site that must have one closer to them :o
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:15 pm I have fully converted to grease now on most moving parts except where there are oil points and items like clocks.

Every machine I have stripped and rebuilt before getting into the hands of collectors were caked in it for a good reason, it works and does not dry out quickly like oil. Every machine I have serviced only using oil, needed redoing after a short period of inactivity. Grease takes a long time to dry or go hard.......so oil not grease IMO is bad advise.. :tut
I agree in principle.
During their working lives most if not every machine was caked in grease, and the reason tended to be laziness and lack of maintenance during the season.
When a mech was down it was common practice to tend to the machine with a screwdriver and a pot of grease. The screwdriver was for stabbing at coin jams and the grease for everything else.
The laziness aspect was waiting for something to go wrong before applying it and perhaps the biggest sin, not cleaning off the old cruddy residue first.
I still prefer to oil my mechs as it ensures I get into a regular maintenance cycle with them three or four times a year. It's easy to hear if a mech is running dry.
pennymachines wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:36 pm The question now is which is the best grease.

I do however use grease if and when oil would quickly run off. There's only one I ever use though "Bostik Never-Seeze" I don't know how easy it is to buy in UK as I've never had to find any. I inherited a very old tin, it's described as consisting of millions of ball bearings in suspension. I first used it on a 60 year old Lister diesel which after several hours running under load would drop a cylinder due to a sticking exhaust valve. It's made to operate under pressure and very high temperatures. Hardly needed for slots, but it's most useful attribute is it doesn't seem to dry out!
IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

I believe my can dates back to the 60s and is still very liquidy.
Bostick don't use the word grease to describe it they call it a lubricating and ant-seize compound.
In fact I stopped using it at one point back in the 1980s because of its refusal to dry. I delved into a Günter Wulff that I had repaired, sold on and then bought back a few years later. Withdrawing my hands I was proper pee'd off to find my hands covered in the stuff. Instead of being pleased that it was still gooey I tutted and wiped it all off. DUH!
Caution though, I doubt it's cheap and it stains, get it on your hands and within moments it'll be on your face, car keys, clothes, door handles, wife.
eBay or Amazon are your best bet, you'll not stumble over it in any shop.

BP :cool: