BMCo auto prize payout allwin signage?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
john t peterson

Re: BMCo auto prize payout allwin signage?

Post by john t peterson »

Yes, Mr. PM, the other prize Allwin is a "Lucky Star" also. I had no idea they were so few left.

JP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

PM, what are the dimensions of your marquee please, because in trying to scale it to fit my case it doesn't seem to work right? BMCo marquees are always very specific to the machine case sizing, the marquee window vertical lines always match up with the machine playfield windows. And the width of the whole marquee will match the the vertical outer sides of the case. And the width of the horizontal lower bar of the marquee frame will almost always match the top horizontal bar of the front door. When I scaled to match the width of my case at 20.75" it throws those two outer upright ends of the marquee quite a bit wider than they need to be and the horizontal bars too thin. Comparing your marquee with the other surviving marquee they differ considerably, yours is chunkier while the other is very slender. But there do seem to be two slightly different case versions, with a payout hole surround, and without. I'm guessing the surround is later as even with it prizes do occasionally fly out onto the floor. Thanks.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've updated the previous image with dimensions. Looks like it was off a smaller game. Strange also how the inner routing is misaligned.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Always testing us aren't you PM! Phew, thank goodness I wasn't "voted out and made to leave the workshop" just yet. |/XX\|
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

PM, your marquee will fit a standard allwin like Little Mickey etc perfectly width wise. The fact that top bar has been refitted makes it seem like it had the standard top pediment piece planed off, maybe it got broken, or was someone trying to replicate the flat top design seemingly only used on these large Prize payout cases?? !PUZZLED!

In the photo of your machine the original screw holes can just be seen on the lid, so there must be another set closer inwards if it came with this less wide marquee.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

gameswat wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:56 am The fact that top bar has been refitted makes it seem like it had the standard top pediment piece planed off, maybe it got broken...
That's what I kind of assumed when I bought it. The top strut looks old and the wood perfectly matches the rest, but its upper surface has a slightly rough-sawn, unpolished appearance. By putting these two together, it's clear you wouldn't get this shape by simply planing off the top of a standard BMCo. pediment.

2BMCo-tops.jpg

gameswat wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:56 am In the photo of your machine the original screw holes can just be seen on the lid, so there must be another set closer inwards if it came with this less wide marquee.
Which machine? I don't have one. !PUZZLED!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

PM, I misread your previous message and thought you purchased that Moon faced machine at the EH auction and the marquee came with but not attached.

What I was suggesting was the top bar had been removed from the frame, cut down flat and then reglued, but if you put that back it would sit too low against the side uprights, unless raised slightly, which is why the inner chamfered edge is wrong. It certainly didn't start life that way.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

New wood marquee took a lot longer than I'd hoped. A lot of messing around when you don't have one to copy from at hand, or at least a wreck to work with. For anbody else undertaking a similar project here's a useful tip - just follow the joinery of the front door as it's the same! That saved me asking a lot of fiddly questions to be sure.

Monsieur PM, years ago you asked me what I planned to do about missing BMCo pressed marquee brackets. Well, only just became an issue right now. Thankfully when I originally purchased this machine from Pat Gresham it had half this bent and rusty bracket still attached. So tonight I made this simple two part jig and managed to press the first attempt out pretty much perfectly! I wish it was always thus...... :D Greased the flat steel and forced the jigs together in my huge workshop vice, a lot of forward a few inches, then backwards, forward, backwards needed. I imagine the originals were pressed as one piece and folded 90 degrees in the middle, while I'll just braze the joint. They get painted gloss black like some of the internal tin. And as for the middle arch joiner I haven't gotten to that yet so who knows? I only need to make the brackets for this one machine and have no other BMCo machines needing them. The only other BMCo I have needing brackets is the "Over The Moon" Penny shooter game, but it can not handle these brackets as the case is not deep enough. I'm sure that just used bent steel flat bar the same as my parents Bollands/BMCo Matrimonial Bureau. But I still think was worth the effort making the jigs to get the brackets just right and prob still quicker than hand forging them which was an earlier plan.

As for making the male jig, quite easily actually, the shape was cut from the correct thickness flat bar, then silver soldered to a huge lump of steel bar. The female jig is made slightly larger to allow the the steel sheet enough room, I didn't even bother using my metal mill to cut that just drilled the shape out with lots of small holes and hand filed pretty quickly.
Attachments
bmco-marquee-1_1a.jpg
bmco-marquee-2_1a.jpg
bmco-brackets-1a.jpg
bmco-brackets-2a.jpg
bmco-brackets-3a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!WORSHIPFULL!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

What the...? :o That's amazing!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

gameswat wrote:So tonight I made this simple two part jig
Simple ??

You have an incredible skill set gameswat, simply amazing........how did you cut out the shape so precisely from the flat steel plate for the female section
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Argg, what I meant is this is a very basic stamp and die set compared to what the factory used to originally make them. Theirs was a lot more refined to get everything done in one go, while as I opted to leave out much of it making the two parts much quicker to fabricate. Such as the countersinking pieces I left out of the female section, I just use the male only and place three countersunk wood screws in the holes and torqued in the vice to push those countersunk holes into the bracket.

Cutting the female was very simple, just scratched a line around the male that I cut first and added about 3mm extra for the sheet steel. Then drilled a bunch of small hole almost touching just inside of the lines all the way around, then to join those used a diamond wire hacksaw blade which can cut in any direction, then a little hand filing. If you look a the original brackets they're pretty roughly made anyway so no reason to get too fancy.

PM, I just realised today that the two brackets needed are actually different lengths, after I mocked up a couple using the arch bracket. That bracket doesn't sit at 45 degrees. So the bottom bracket is longer than the upright. Can you please take a few pics of yours and the length please. I made some extra brackets today already so will prob just cut down the existing dies to now make the smaller ones.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Bit rusty. The support strut is slightly ribbed with 5/16" lugs at each end which fit into slots in the bracket.
Attachments
BMCo-strut1.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thank you PM. !!CHEERS!! I took the quick way out since I didn't need to keep the original tooling and remade them from 4" down to 3". Only meant milling off the end of the male and rounding the new end and adding the countersunk hole, and for the female I added a blanking piece that got silver soldered in. I just pressed out the first sample at 2.45am and worked well!
Attachments
bmco-bracket-toolinga.jpg
bmco-prize-marquee-7a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well dammit - the prototype is done and worked out! Made a 90 degree jig last night for brazing the corner joint to keep them all the same and square. And tonight bodged together another simple two part die to press in that strengthening ridge down the centre of the crossbar. I figured the simplest way to make those curved crossbars was to cut a straight strip on the shears and then heat that and bend around a handy piece of curved steel that was sitting nearby. Then just the two ends need minor cutting after pressing. A lot of f*#@ing around to make a bracket that is not even seen from the front of the machine! But I'm one of these idiots who likes a challenge and can't stop until it's just 'so'. Needless to say I'm usually penniless. :dammit: !!SUICIDAL!!
Attachments
bmco-weld-jiga.jpg
bmco-bracket-#1.2a.jpg
bmco-bracket-#1a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

**xXx** !WORSHIPFULL! !!GOODJOB!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

gameswat wrote:bodged together another simple two part die

Oxford English dictionary definition of bodged "Make or repair (something) badly or clumsily." :didact:

Gameswat, your skill is inversely proportional to this definition.
!!THUMBSX2!!

ps are you taking orders?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

You'll have to get in line, Mates. He has to get my AutoTalkie up and running properly before he takes on any gypsy work.

J Peterson
Head Gypsy, USA. dirtdog
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Come on John, spill the beans. What's all this about AutoTalkie?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Remember this?