BMCo auto prize payout allwin signage?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: BMCo auto prize payout allwin signage?

Post by gameswat »

arrgee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:56 pm ps are you taking orders?
Well since nobody showed interest until the last day I wasn't planning on making many at all, and semi dismantled my tooling because of that! I currently have enough pieces to make a small run but after I've made a few I'll decide if I can even be bothered, and then what I'd charge for a set.

JP is just jealous that my BMCo Prize machine has a marquee...............and displaying an Auto Talkie! :o

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:Remember this?
I should have, as I commented on it only 13 years ago ! !!UHOH!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Oh Gameswat, why must you live so far away?? :(

J Peterson
Oceans away, USA
highfield

Post by highfield »

Gameswat, as a toolmaker myself I am very impressed at your ability and improvisation. !!THUMBSX2!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Aha! a toolmaker among our members. You have let the cat out of the bag now highfield....... !!THUMBSX2!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Pretty happy with the finished marquee but really should be after all the time and effort expended. :burp: Was not a fan of that shape at all to begin with but has definitely grown on me. Brackets shown are all my own hand made and distressed. I decided to keep the two rusty original pieces as patterns. Marquee art is my best guess based on this Favourite by them at the time. They made paper and mirrored signs and have always adored the sign writing they did on the card versions. Same as BMCo I printed the lettered sections then hand airbrushed in the highlights, making every sign they did that way a one off really. These machines are rare but not because of fragile mechs like the coin return models, these prize versions are truly bulletproof in comparison. I can only guess a much higher price and heavier/larger size stopped them being more popular? They weren't offered in the Hong Kong Works catalogue circa 1938 while all the coin return models were.
Attachments
bmo fave.JPG
bmco prize cup #4.jpg
bmco prize cup #3.jpg
bmco prize cup #5.jpg
bmco prize cup #2.jpg
bmco prize cup #1.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Very slick, Gameswat, very slick indeed. Stir up a batch of two more, please, My games are envious. And naked.

J Peterson
Make my stars lucky, USA
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Absolutely excellent job gameswat, well done !!THUMBSX2!! **xXx**
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Superb and undermines my confidence in discerning original from new!

So you printed the text and airbrushed over parts of it to get that effect?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Yes PM, all the fade is added after printing. The BMCo original main name lettering in orange/red was silkscreened, then shadow added in green by hand using an airbrush. The dark blue "The" and "For Amusement Only" was hand sign written, then highlighted in orange by airbrush. You'll often notice the spacing of this hand written part is off centre. And finally a purplish blue fade airbrushed around the outer edge. I do have an airbrush function on my digital pen/tablet and could have done the fade that way I guess and printed all as one, but wanted to keep it as close as possible to original. The blue lettering was easy enough to replicate as just stole that from the "Favourite" copy. But to get the new "Prize Cup" lettering to fit the same style took a bit of time. I ended up printing out a copy of just the cleaned up blue lettering and a faint line showing the arched shape I needed for the main name. Then sat down and sketched that with pencil until I was fairly happy. Then blackened that out with marker and retouched with white paint until I had it pretty decent. Then scanned and fitted to the blue lettering ready for printing. Made a handful of copies to experiment with and just kept the best one. I think the paper marquee art suits this particular game better having more colour involved than the mirrors, especially the green fade which ties in well to the very basic green playfield. The mirror lettering style is a simplified version and not as attractive either.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

So as an update, the collector that consigned this to me got to see the machine in person before I found a buyer for him, and a few days later rang to say he wanted to purchase the marquee from me and keep the machine! I was happy because I'm sure he appreciates what I did more than anyone else in the world, having owned and loved the machine in its incomplete state the last 16 years. That's a first as far as I can remember.