Bryans Payramid insurance value

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
martynbr

Bryans Payramid insurance value

Post by martynbr »

Hi Everyone,

Picked up this 1930s Bryan Payramid machine.

Unfortunately not for sale as this will go into my collection.

However wanting to find out a value for it especially for insurance.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Attachments
62A69E83-5E26-4145-B02C-9C2AE39A9EA3a.jpg
A47257C2-167A-41E5-A35F-BCA4F1DADBE5a.jpg
AE2726AC-B68A-4F1F-8B00-8857EDCD3139a.jpg
9C290FA5-7A66-4687-9AEC-000F280E8915a.jpg
DAC7EC4F-5B38-4C10-9E7E-A2024EABF2FBa.jpg
7BF4CCD9-B25E-4E13-9355-2C7B9FFC7564a.jpg
moonriver

Re: Bryan’s Payramid

Post by moonriver »

Insurance cover for a unique machine where the only chance of replacement is to find the nearest equivalent machine and that requires a suitably high enough amount to persuade another collector who has one to part with it.
As Payramids are fairly easy to come by, that isn't an issue, so I guess £2,000 should be OK. Most household insurance contents policy cover will not require an individual item for such an amount to be specified.
martynbr

Re: Bryan’s Paymarid

Post by martynbr »

Great thanks, so will be about £2000 to buy one of these.

Cheers
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I didn't quite say that. Insurance cover for a particular machine such as yours should be pitched higher for the reasons I gave previously. As you can't just go out and buy one off the shelf, the insurance amount needs to be reflect successfully going out and buying another similar machine from another collector or dealer straight away, which is different from waiting however long for one to turn up at auction somewhere.
Based on this, historic auction prices achieved may well be too low to use as a comparison for an insurance valuation without adding a percentage on top.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

And talking about insurance, photograph your machine from every angle - inside as well - and particularly the numbers that should be stamped on the case and often the mechanism. If it should unfortunately be stolen then you will be required to identify the machine in order to prove (former) ownership should it come to light at a later date, you can then purchase the machine back from the insurance company, assuming that they reimbursed you for any loss in the first place.

I always advocate a substantial photographic record of all individual machines and don't forget to turn off any geo coordinates on your camera or mobile phone as further security should the photos be shared/posted over the internet because the metadata on the image file will identify exactly where the photo was taken.

Good looking machine.
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Fantastic thank you, completely understand the amount for insurance.

Appreciate it. Couldn’t believe I found one in Los Angeles.

Cheers
john t peterson

Re: Bryans Payramid insurance value

Post by john t peterson »

Actually, a great deal of British coin-op ended up in California in the '70s. I purchased my first Payramid from a deal in Ojai, California in the '80s.

The West Coast generally has more money than most of the rest of the States and antique dealers were hot to purchase shipping crates of British antiques, sight unseen, back in those days. Arcade games were inserted into the crates as well as furniture, mostly solid oak pieces that were not considered of much value in England since it was too new but highly regarded in the States given our much shorter history.

J Peterson