Long stored Mills mech reels don't spin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

Long stored Mills mech reels don't spin

Post by tammy »

Just bought a couple of very long stored bandits off ebay. On one, after cleaning and oiling, the reels spin a little but not enough. Any ideas, as I have spent a lot of time cleaning and trying to oil?
The handle that you push down to make the mech run also seems to stop down each time you operate, and you have to give another push down for it to come up. Any ideas in simple terms on both?

The three top bars don't seem to come finally far enough back. Is it possible someone took the reels off and has not put them in position properly?
Is it an easy job to remove the complete wheel run and put it on again?
Attachments
20210907_113129a.jpg
20210907_113119a.jpg
20210907_113116a.jpg
20210907_113056a.jpg
20210905_172159a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Long stored Mills mech reels don't spin

Post by treefrog »

So faster reels has been asked many times and there is a link in Tips and Tricks on many similar threads: Reels not spinning correctly

Often older mechanisms can be due to wear, but also common issues are:

1) loose or removed reel wire brakes;
2) is kicker working correctly, e.g. needs cleaning, lubing? Is spring good and the head on the kicker flat and engaging the reels correctly?
3) reels are distorted or rubbing against another part of the machine, slowing them down;
4) reel bundle needs cleaning. Take off and remove each section, inspect for damage, clean and lube shaft. Sometimes wear can be an issue on the spines, but also damage like the shafts are dented or not round.

To take the reel bundle out is not too difficult. It requires removing the coin tube, taking the shaft bundle out and the whole thing will lift away.

The handle not returning until pushed down again may be an issue with the handle not passing the handle return ratchet on the side. If so, you need to inspect when operating the machine what stops it going all the way on first operation.

The reel brakes returning to the reel bundle is controlled by the clocking timing and the timing bar. It maybe the clock is not completing the cycle. We cannot see the timing bar in your machine as the one picture not shared is the other side of the mechanism. If this is the case, it can again be many reasons. Common reasons are: poor clock spring, timing bar and associated arms catching or incorrect washers used (meaning they move around too much), clock adjustment or poorly running clock... Of course some other object may be clocking the reel brakes.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Everything Tom says above is good advice. As he says, removing the reel bundle is not difficult (but fiddly). Yes, it will need cleaning, but the added advantage is you will be able to clean a lot of hidden areas as well.

Remove the coin tube. This is one (hard to access) bolt to the right of the upper part of the coin tube, then the secret is to half-cock the mech, start to load the cycle until the three-reel brakes reach a point where they are free of the cogs on the reel bundle. There will most likely be a screw bolt holding the reel shaft tight at the right side of the mech above the shaft. There may well be another to the left or the shaft might screw directly into the mech. Either way, remove the shaft, and then the reels will come out of the front of the mech but will need to be fed through the reel brakes with care. It is unlikely you will need to remove each of the reel drums from the bundle. If you do, be very careful to mark their positions first.

Remember oiling the machine can cause as many problems as it fixes. Remove all old grease and oil sparingly with sewing machine type oil and never near any part that comes into contact with a coin.

Looking at your photos, the "clock" looks VERY dirty. Remove it and dismantle it, totally clean and rebuild. It's easier than it looks.
Last edited by coppinpr on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you both for replies.
tammy
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thankyou for help ..the bandit reels running good now and handle comes up as should.
Still not paying out though..i dismantled and cleaned slides but still realise a bar that comes out through the bottom plate appears bent and dont even know if its in right position even seems a little solid..what is it for and should it go through bottom base?..should it move slides back or something?..
I dont know alot about bandits but i know some of you do so would appreciate whatat to do? ..thankyou in anticipation!
tammy

Post by tammy »

20210926_090802a.jpg

Thank you. Pictures:
Attachments
20210926_085728a.jpg
20210926_090311a.jpg
20210926_090817a.jpg
20210926_091130a.jpg
20210926_091137a.jpg
20210926_085723a.jpg
20210926_090754a.jpg
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

That's the bar that pushes the coin slides forward, & should locate in a slotted casting on the back of the mech.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you Special When Lit. I should be able now with your help to sort it out when I get back home! It is a little bent so I will have to make it straighter, shouldn't I?
Thank you tammy.
tammy

Post by tammy »

HELP!!...I had to undo a large spring to get part off to put back right... but now cannot seem to get the large spring end back on. Any tips?
Also a part that might have had a spring towards the side as shown... should it have a spring on, and if so, where to where?
The bandit is a long way on from when I got, it but I wish I had someone local-ish who could as a friend help!
Attachments
20210927_101355a.jpg
20210927_095703a.jpg
20210927_095649a.jpg
20210927_101349a.jpg
20210927_095817a.jpg
20210927_095708a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

PLEASE HELP... The bar that pushes the slides back - I couldn't get the spring on this hook and still can't... Any tips to do it! Also, now not sure with taking this part to bits if it's positioned right. Getting a bit mixed up and any pictures would help!
Attachments
20210927_162536a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

I have had this to bits so please help. Is this the right way, as now to go on with the long bottom part that goes to the front to push the slides back. Just needs putting on and the nut tightening? I.e., should it have the longer bit to the front of the machine or the back please?
I have ordered a spring puller tool to help pull the big spring on.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid and have no Mills bandit to compare it with... but for what it's worth, the Mills Operator's Companion identifies this part as E125, the Slide Push Bar Assembly.
Attachments
E125.jpg
chopper

Post by chopper »

The part that looks like it should have a spring on it is just a lever for sometimes when the pulling arm is not catching a cog. It just resets it. Saves taking the mech out. Also with strong springs I use a boot lace to pull them in place.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you for your reply and diagram, they help a lot. I tried pulling the spring with nylon string but isn't easy to hook on. Also bought a heavy duty spring puller and it's ok but I have the same problem on hooking it in, as the tool takes up too much room. Thank you
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If all else fails, hook the spring puller to one of the coils below the loop, then it won't block the loop.

The reassembly of the slide push bar will always be a bit fiddly. If you were building the machine up from scratch this part goes in quite early when you have loads of room to manoeuvre, so as the mech stands now it's not that easy. As far as the owner's guide shows the LONG end goes to the back.
Last edited by coppinpr on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Does this look right to put on this way with the longest length going to the front? Come on you Mills bandit experts... or should the shorter bit go to the front to push the payout slides back? Any tips to get the spring back on too? I really am having problems please help!

See my picture of payout slide pushback on page one of comments please!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As I said, the LONG end faces the back as it appears in the owner's guide.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you coppinpr. I just need to turn bottom bit around before putting in slots so as you say the longest length is at the back... Will have a go later tomorrow.

Thank you also for the idea with the spring puller.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Spend yet a number of hours on trying to put the bar that pushes the payout slides back as its been described..couldnt get the spring on it..and not sure if it on this machine is right with the long section of the slide pusher to the back as it doesnt even get anywhere now near the slides for pushing back the slides?..seems alot out of the back area of the slot too now!
I am sorry if i am not very good on bandit problems..i am more knowledgable on allwins!
May have to leave it until someone local whos a good knowledge of mills mechs can help me!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Here are a couple of pics of how it should fit.
Attachments
20210202_134608a.jpg
20210202_142229a.jpg