Rex Rotor

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Rex Rotor

Post by treefrog »

Was soooo tempted by the Rex Rotor on ebay, lovely looking machine and remember the article in MMM March last year by Stuart......Think this may be the very same machine..... Love the spoke wheels.
Attachments
rex rotor.JPG
jonesthegarage

Re: Rex Rotor

Post by jonesthegarage »

I went to view this the last time it was on ebay, way too over restored for me. I think some of the casing was original and the reels but apart from that it was factory fresh on coin entry, instructions etc. Apart from that, you plug it in and the lights go out! Probably like me, looks OK at a distance but close up, that's a different matter.

Another major thing that put me off is the guy is a pinball engineer (Pinball Heaven) and I figured if he doesn't know what the fault is then I've no chance.

It also struck me that it has a name similar to a well known super villain and Superman nemesis - Lex Luthor.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

treefrog wrote:Was soooo tempted by the Rex Rotor on ebay, lovely looking machine and remember the article in MMM March last year by Stuart......Think this may be the very same machine..... Love the spoke wheels.
:oops: Guilty as charged, it was mine and it was working A-OK when I let it go. I think the new owner was having problems with the machine tripping the mains circuit breakers in his house when it started up, which can be quite common with old EM machines. Would just need a suppressor fitting to stop that happening. :D
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

How interesting, I bought this machine. I also saw it on ebay last year with the same problem, but my offer was not accepted. So, I was prepared to strip this and re-wire it, but it seems that it works OK. So now I'm confused - does it work, is the cabinet OK? It looks nice in the pics. And I'm not sure where it was made but looks German to me. As for electrics, I can turn 10 e/m machines on in one go, but the pushers with screens I turn on separately or they trip my electrics, and they are only seven years old.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Don't think you will find a lot wrong with it. I never had a problem with it once I had restored it !SAINT!
glittering-prize67

Hi slotalot, are you sure this was yours as two owners have had the same problem?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

You have just bought it from the chap who got it from me. He has had it on Ebay twice in the last few months. I did him a swap for a machine that I wanted for my collection. :cool:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I thought it was yours you old swapper - it put me in mind of the Bergmann Imperator that you swapped with me.

Follow this link to clever Stu's webpage to see this beauty: http://slotmachines.bravehost.com/page5.html
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Now I remember !!IDEA!!
The day I came to deliver/swap the Imperator with you, I went to have a look at Clive's arcade on the North Pier !!YIPPEE!! and it was shut that day due to the weather. :dammit:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Correct! and now of course Clive's arcade's gone from the North Pier, and substantial chunks of the North Pier's gone from the North Pier.
glittering-prize67

Jonesthegarage wrote:it put me in mind of the Bergmann Imperator that you swapped with me
Now that is a stunning restoration. Well done that man, she looks simply irresistible.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Thank you... :woops:
The Rex was in a similar state when I got it, it had not run for many a year... :tarah:

As we are on about auctions !!THUMBSX2!! I have another little jem of mine for sale right now...[xurl=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151247656478? ... 1558.l2649]Haunted Churchyard working model[/url]
Judging from the number of hits it has had most of you on here will have already seen it. :tarah:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Wiegandt's 1954 Rex Rotor to Pink Floyd's "Money":
(Click symbol, bottom right, to watch full screen!)

Slotalot's restored Bergmann 1957 Imperator to ABBA's "It's a Rich Man's World":

Another example:

glittering-prize67

Rex Rotor problem

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Now, not had time to look yet as I'm restoring other peoples' stuff. Stuart has done a great job on this machine but it does have a problem. Houses with fuses are illegal and the house can be on fire before a fuse blows. I've had many old machines and none take trips out, so I'm puzzled with this. What if i use a 240 to 240 volt tranny to isolate it from the mains? Or I welcome other ideas. I love the machine so intend to keep it but I need it to not take trips out.
moonriver

Re: Rex Rotor problem

Post by moonriver »

Just fit a suppressor. Loads of similar age machines had them fitted - sorts out the problem.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The trip may be overcurrent, but if nothing is smoking and you have a 3 wire plug (L, N, E) it's more likely a ground fault interrupter. That goes out when the amount of current coming out of the live doesn't exactly equal the amount going back into the neutral because some of it is leaking to ground. Somewhere in the machine is a potentially lethal problem waiting to hurt you. Test the resistance from live to earth, and neutral to earth - both should be completely open circuit. If there's any current path to ground you need to find it and fix it, otherwise one day it will find you and fix you, or someone dear to you.

If it's like the machine in this video -

- the wiring looks absolutely terrifying.
Attachments
Oh_Dear.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

glittering-prize67 wrote:Houses with fuses are illegal and the house can be on fire before a fuse blows.
Actually, although they wouldn't be fitted in a new house, I don't think the old wired fuses (BS3036) are either illegal to have or fit under current UK regulations.
http://rjqelectrical.co.uk/2014/02/re-wirable-fuse-box/
glittering-prize67

I was told by the electrician 6 years ago when we had a new consumer unit that new regulations require by law to have rcd units. And any house being rewired must have old fuse units replaced by rcds. Anyway, I have checked earth to neutral and live and seems no leakage, but when in play it might be different. I think I'm going to remove the mech and check every connection. The fact it trips can't be ignored. And maybe hiding the problem with a supressor is not the answer.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

It's probably a moving part somewhere touching the frame. If you run it, the instant when the breaker trips is when the touch happens, so at that point unplug it and you should have more success finding the short.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Convert it to gas !SCARED!