Joe Buric Mills 'Bell Fruit' prototype QT bandit

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
aristomatic

Joe Buric Mills 'Bell Fruit' prototype QT bandit

Post by aristomatic »

Split from Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Co. bandits - Site Admin.

Not seen this before. Not sure it's a Bell Fruit Bell Fruit....
That award card looks to be a later addition. Nice to see what's underneath there..
Maybe a member has one.
Attachments
chrome_screenshot_1620475414145a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Mills Bell Fruit prototype bandit

Post by coppinpr »

Now that is an interesting bandit. Not the Bell Fruit Co we know here I think. Mini reel strips and a small machine all-round, yet it shows a jackpot window (false? I can see no JP payout on the award card) and it shows an escalator window (false again? perhaps not on closer inspection) and what's with the slotted lever on the left side? I too would like to see inside. I'd like it for sure.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Looks like a proper escalator to me? The award card doesn't look original, so could maybe disregard the lack of jackpot on it. The bit on the left is maybe a coin reject?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I passed the image on to a fellow collector who hadn't seen one before and neither of us could locate the image on the web either.

Our best guess was Mills Novelty Inc. Well seems not too far off!

Today I was informed it was a prototype designed by the lead engineer from Mills Novelty Inc. and certainly not for sale. I've requested more pictures and info.

Over time I have learnt not to take one input as a statement of fact, but due to lack of imagery, either flyers or machine, it seems a solid response and I'm thankful for their knowledge and for sharing it with others.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I found this. The size is even smaller than I expected: 5¢ Joe Buric Prototype Q.T. Slot Machine
This one of a kind miniature reel machine is housed in a blue cabinet with front jackpot. The piece was designed by Joe Buric, former chief engineer for Mills Novelty Co. who designed the QT series in the 1940s, after his retirement. No keys. Condition: Very Good. Dimensions: 11"D x 10"W x 15"T.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Good find Mr Coppin on the prototype auction listing.

Be nice to find hammer price.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Morphy Auctions sold it Sunday, May 20, 2018 for $1,560.00, including buyer's premium.
Attachments
Buric1.jpg
Buric2.jpg
Buric3.jpg
Buric4.jpg
Buric5.jpg
Buric6.jpg
aristomatic

Re: Joe Buric Mills 'Bell Fruit' prototype QT bandit

Post by aristomatic »

Ha ha,

Literally just found that. There was image of the mech from the back too?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Whoops - yes, missed the most important one.
Attachments
Buric7.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

When you're used to seeing bandits sharing the same internal designs (Groetchen & BDR excepted) it's great to see something so different: a small but proper escalator in the same style as Buckley made one, rather than the original Mills, the clock mounted vertically, a few hints of the trade stim designs of other makes. Pity about the coin reject(?) It seems a bit of an afterthought added to the only available space. :lol: It's so complete and "finished" right down to the coin box, I'm wondering if it was a pre-production model rather than a trial prototype and would have been used for "wear" testing and as a kind of visual jig during the first months of assembly. The date also makes me think this was not a discarded design but rather one that never went into production because Mills switched to war production. My guess is it wouldn't sell for a price that low in the future.
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

That mech doesn't share much with the inside of a QT, but more like a Mills Vest Pocket.

The payout tube and assembly in the bottom of the photo is almost identical to the VP payout.

Going off that, I'd say the reel assembly and payout detection is mainly VP too. The same reel and payout detection is also seen on a Columbia.

It's really a VP, in a bell-like case, with a handle, escalator and jackpot added.

Walt from Conifer, Colorado
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well spotted Walt!
BP !THUMBS!
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

Thanks ...

Walt from Conifer, Colorado (and it's time for winter to move on, four inches of snow this week, and temps below freezing most nights, hey winter, it's spring, let's get on with it).