Nice row of cast iron machines

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Nice row of cast iron machines

Post by coppinpr »

I was re positioning photos of arcades on the www.penny-arcade.info site and managed to get this nice enlargement of a row of machines outside the entrance of Ryde pier IOW. 1908

There are also two other photos taken from the same angle but years apart and some but not all the machines seem to have survived for many years.
Attachments
ryde pier 2.jpg
sweetmeats

Re: Nice row of cast iron machines

Post by sweetmeats »

This is a picture taken at the pier head, not the entrance.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Just as soon as I get my time machine perfected...... :burp:

J Peterson
Taking orders from America
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

sweetmeats wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:12 am This is a picture taken at the pier head, not the entrance.
Yes, sorry, I don't know why I put that, correct on the website, wrong on here. Still a nice row of machines though. :cool:
roger

Rare Collection

Post by roger »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Please help to identify these machines and disclose the possible origin of this picture....ROGER

slotalot

Re: Rare Collection

Post by slotalot »

Looks like Ryde Pier Isle of White, 1930s. :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I see...
BAC Print Your Own Metal Nameplate

Everitt Test Your Pull?

Matthewson (Automatic Sports Co.) Two Man Football, Cricket, Golf, etc.

Ell Krack Shot

Barrett Try Your Grip

roger

Post by roger »

It is hard to imagine that most of these rare machines are still sitting under the stars and have never been stolen or sold by the owner. ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Here are three photos of the same part of Ryde Pier (I.O.W.) said to be 1908, 1918 and (around 1925). I believe the first one to be a year or two later than 1908 (are they warships in a line in the distance?)

Note that the machines hang around (with additions and removals). By the time of the second photo, and by the time of the last one, the pitch has not only survived but has become larger, although the machines have now changed, the pier head restricted area has changed, two steam cranes have arrived and the OXO stall has moved from top right to lower middle. :lol:

ryde1.jpg
ryde1.jpg (160.04 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

ryde2.jpg
ryde2.jpg (158.85 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

ryde3.jpg
ryde3.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

This is another postcard of Ryde pierhead dated 1907 showing a different set of machines including a Mermaid Yacht Racer and another machine I cannot identify on the right. It appears to be a photo machine. I have seen a similar machine on a Clacton pier postcard. I have enlarged the machine section to try and help but still cannot read instructions clearly.
Attachments
machine-320001a.jpg
machine-320001a.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 685 times
machine-32a.jpg
machine-32a.jpg (186.45 KiB) Viewed 685 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

sweetmeats wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:59 pm It appears to be a photo machine
1907 is very early for an automatic photo machine robust enough to work unattended outside. Unfortunately, I can't make out the writing on it (apart from '3D'). Maybe the Clacton postcard might shed more light. Would '3D' be understood to mean stereoscopic at that time? There seems to be a tin bucket or watering can and towel hanging from the machine. Maybe the operator was giving it a spruce up.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I have talked to sweetmeats about this machine. I believe this is the Clacton p/c we looked at. I still can't make out the wording. The machine does appear on several p/c's in my collection, but these are the clearest images I have. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
Scan_20231028-(2)a.jpg
Scan_20231028-(2)a.jpg (502.4 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Scan_20231028-(3)a.jpg
Scan_20231028-(3)a.jpg (240.12 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Scan_20230901a.jpg
Scan_20230901a.jpg (158.88 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Scan_20230901-(2)a.jpg
Scan_20230901-(2)a.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 812 times
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

Bosco started in 1890 with automatic photo machines. There should have been various cabinets.
bosco.jpg
bosco.jpg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 336 times

https://blogg.tekniskamuseet.se/djupdyk ... fran-1890/
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Evidently it says 'Photo-something' (Your Photograph Taken?), so my money's on Geo Salter and Co. Ltd. of West Bromwich for the Automatic Photographic Company Ltd.

Salters are known for their ornate cast iron coin-op scales, but manufactured an auto photo machine about the same time as the German-designed Bosco:

Patent CA33144, 1889

CA3314.jpg
CA3314.jpg (386.72 KiB) Viewed 807 times

The Automatic Photograph Co Ltd

The Daily Telegraph & Courier (London), Thursday 08 May 1890, p3, and numerous other papers reported: Revolution in photography. A photograph delivered automatically in 45 seconds in exchange for a penny. The press of the kingdom declare the invention marvellous. Bristol Times and Mirror - There will certainly be a rush for the automatic photographer. Automatic photograph Company Ltd. Truth. I am told that before long we shall have the automatic photographic camera on the streets and in the railway stations. A friend who inspected the machine at Messrs Salters, West Bromwich, the other day informs me that the likeness is taken within three seconds of dropping the proverbial penny into the slot and that the complete picture is delivered in about 30 seconds. In point of speed, at any rate, this beats Mr Weller’s “profeel machine". Prospectuses will be ready on Saturday next. The Leeds Mercury, Saturday 10 May 1890. p6. reported that a prospectus had been issued for the Automatic Photograph Co Ltd to raise £100,000 capital by issuing 19900 ordinary shares at £5 each and 500 founders shares at £1. The company would be purchasing a machine developed by Mr Isaac Joel, patent no 11,354 of 1889. 1d in slot, complete print in 45 secs, another slot for a half penny and you get a suitable frame.

The Scotsman, Monday 19 May 1890 p1, announced the launch of the Automatic Photograph (Foreign and Colonial) Co Ltd, reg office 5 Copthall Buildings London EC to promote the invention overseas. Various reviews of the apparatus were cited. A demonstration had taken place at Salter and Co, spring balance manufacturers at West Bromwich. The Company Prospectus followed. The cost of materials was reported to be half a penny to produce a penny photo. Frames were 1/2d per gross. £200,000 per country was being asked for overseas patent rights. Advertisements stated that the capital of the company would be returned to shareholders several times over in dividends in the course of the first year. The firm had already received interest in patents for France, Belgium, Italy.

By September / October 1891 both companies were being wound up. There were problems with the supply of consumables. There had also been irregularities, with under-subscribed shares being allocated to fictitious investors and the company apparently having an imperfect title to the claimed patent rights.
https://www.stickybacks.uk/booths.asp
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Years ago I worked with an old school photographic expert.
He told me that in order to try and clarify detail in an image they would enlarge it and then print it as a negative.
Oddly enough it works with digital images as well.
Doing this and adding "remove noise" and "sharpen" shows (to me) that the last word on the cabinet is MACHINE.

BP !LOOK!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

So it's THE PHOTOGRAPH MACHINE.
Not very catchy, but makes sense when 'photograph' was still a novel word.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Another image of same location for reference with other machines….

What was the bucket for !PUZZLED!
Attachments
IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg (170.18 KiB) Viewed 476 times
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

treefrog wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:41 pm What was the bucket for
I imagine the instructions told the user to wash the finished plate after it was vended? Likely chemicals still attached....... !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A bucket and towel are also visible on Sweetmeat's postcard.
What's the machine in the middle?
The Automatic Penny Photograph Machine.
The latest put-a-penny-in-the-slot machine which provides the investor with a photograph of himself in a few seconds, was exhibited at the works of Messrs G. Salter and Co., West Bromwich, yesterday, to about a hundred capitalists and journalists, the majority of whom travelled specially from London. In appearance the apparatus resembles the ordinary slot machines. The person who wishes to be photographed puts his penny in the slot, stands opposite the lens, and in four seconds the ringing of a bell indicates that the operation is completed. A few seconds more are required for drying and other processes, and the photograph appears upon tin-foil about an inch and a half square. Another halfpenny in the slot secures a gilt frame. The experiments indicated some defects, but it was stated that these may be easily remedied, and no doubt when that has been done the machine will create some sensation. All the visitors speculated three-half-pence, and the majority of the photographs were certainly equal if not superior to those examples of the photographic art with which visitors to the seaside and country fairs are familiar. Subsequently the company were entertained at luncheon. Mr Rosenthal explained that the machine was not actually perfect, some alteration having to be made in the lens. They claimed for the machine that it would take a portrait complete in forty-five seconds, but if necessary they could minimise that time and reduce it to thirty seconds, which ail depended upon the size of the machine inside. The object need only be exposed three seconds.
South Wales Echo - Wednesday 19 March 1890
Attachments
APM.jpg
APM.jpg (187.35 KiB) Viewed 452 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I find it incredible this technology was around so early, given we did not really see large scale use of photographic coin op, probably until the '50s… On top of that it had to deal with all weather conditions .

No idea on the middle machine. Looks like some kind of figure in the cast iron unit, maybe a fortune teller.