12 Win Clock

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
dirk55

Re: 12 Win Clock

Post by dirk55 »

Hi Rick
To set up your jackpot, try this - it worked for me:

First check your jp is in the closed position; now disengage the the pecker blade from the index wheel; rotate the index wheel to the 12 win position and insert the pecker blade. If the pecker blade is now half way down the slot, look at the clock face. You should have the large hand at 12 o clock. Disengage the pecker blade and rotate the index wheel so that both hands are on 12 o clock.

Now check the position of the pecker. It should be all the way in the slot. This is the jackpot position.
Lift the coin tube to the max. This should trip the jp. So at this point if your jp did not trip, check the distance from the trip rod to the inside bottom of the metal 0 shape loop. If there is a gap, you need to bend the trip rod. Do this by holding the rod inside the loop with pliers and bend the front of the rod down with a second pair of pliers. Doing it this way will prevent distortion at the other end.
Now disengage the pecker blade and turn the index wheel just to take it off the jp position; lower the coin tube, and bend the rod just slightly more.
Back to jp position, lift up the coin tube and see if this has worked. If not, just keep bending the rod until it does.

Mystery "L" bracket:
My idea on this is that on a jp win 12 pennies are paid from the coin tube, but none from the jp, because if the "L" bracket is positioned over the trip rod it can't trip the jp. So the punter calls the bag man complaining. The bag man then pays the punter the other 12 pennies from his bag of coins, saving him time fiddling around inside the mech resetting and refilling the jp.
But of course this is just a guess. :lol:
Hope it makes sense.
Derek
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

flashbk13 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm hi bryans fan. so what does that "L" bracket do on your machine, is it somehow connected to the jackpot to keep the coin tube "handle" and JP lever elevated? My JP tube sits too low, so it doesn't raise high enough for the lever to trip the JP dump. Thank you, Rick
The " L " bracket is in no way part of the payout system. As dirk55 says in their most thorough post, it appears to be there to stop the jackpot from being activated.
I have just had a look at my machine, and can't really add any further advice. Despite needing a fair bit of work, especially on the case, the mech has always worked fine. I am a believer in if it ain't broke don't try and fix it!

I do make an observation though having played with mine. The jackpot on mine is manual fill. The lever that goes through the handle on the side of the payout hopper, which holds the jackpot door closed, is virtually a hair trigger, the slightest movement triggers the jackpot.

I am also, as others have mentioned, confused by your number. I too believed that numbers were started at 101. My clock is number 501. It is one of the first 12 win clocks, dated as 1933 from the Factory records.
Your 12 win version is later I would have thought as it has the variable payouts. Most intriguing!
Hope you get it sorted easily.
Attachments
20200410_150357a.jpg
20200412_125707a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Been a long time since I've had a Clock so just guessing here, but Bryans seemed to like anti cheat devices, so could this be a basic tilt mech if you lean the cabinet forward?
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Thank you Derek, Bryans Fan, and gameswat for the info. I'll check it all out and report back what I find, Rick
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi Bryans fan. Where are your 501's located on your clock? Anyone else want to "chime in" as to where your numbers are and what they are? Would be interesting to see the range and years of our clocks. Thank you, Rick
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi Rick
I checked the numbers on my adjustable twelve win today.
The number is 947/0 and is in three places.
Stamped on the metal. Stamped on the base at the back and also at the bottom of the door. No idea what this means in terms of manufacturing date. It would be interesting if anyone knows.
I checked my jackpot was operating today. It is and the lever is ‘inside’ the loop of metal.
From my picture you will see a white plastic liner inside the coin tube. This just closes down the inside diameter and allows me to either use old pennies or 50p coins.
John
Attachments
515CA267-5CC7-4887-80D8-4339555BA3F3a.jpg
6387F706-53C4-478B-BE9F-F383E3602730a.jpg
0C66A2AC-C0F0-4A03-AF77-DA744E8474E1a.jpg
10C79A00-C6D3-4D2A-BE54-200CD126FB90a.jpg
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi John,
Thank you for the reply. Beautiful clock. Mine is supposed to have that paint scheme, but someone painted over it (I can see, especially on the door, the black and gold showing through. I hope others "chime in" with their numbers. It looks like your number is 941, not 947. Mine is only stamped at the base by the back door and the frame top crossbar, but not on my door that I can see. I'll be running my clock US half dollar coins as they work just fine without mods. Rick
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi Rick
Yes you're right, typo.
It is 941/0
John !PUZZLED!
highfield

Post by highfield »

Rick
Did you resolve the issue of getting a replacement clock face ?
John
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi John, not yet.
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Hi,
Sorry to jump in on this post but wondered if anyone can date my Bryan's Clocks?
I have three in total, a streamline and 2 normal height,one of which has an unusual "fruit" face by Glenvil. Can't find anything about it on the net.

Pics attached and serial numbers.
Many thanks.
Attachments
ebay-march-12-4144a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4149a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4153a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4150a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4165a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4167a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4166a.jpg
ebay-march-12-4139a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

deano67 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:58 am ...one of which has an unusual "fruit" face by Glenvil. Can't find anything about it on the net.
Bryans Clock with fruit dial. Glenvil Press also made replacement/revamp fruit and number reels for German Beromat-style bandits.
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Thanks for the link - interesting and seems it was a makeover by Glenvil then. Is there any way of dating Bryan's machines by their serial numbers?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

deano67 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 pm Is there any way of dating Bryan's machines by their serial numbers?
Apparently there is a factory master list of serial data that was sold to a private collector but has never been made public sadly.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just googled "Glenvil Press" and see they were exhibiting at the January 1966 Amusement Trade Exhibition as Glenvil Press & Coin Automatics of Gladstone Street, Anlaby Road, Hull, East Yorks.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

gameswat wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:27 pm
deano67 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 pm Is there any way of dating Bryan's machines by their serial numbers?
Apparently there is a factory master list of serial data that was sold to a private collector but has never been made public sadly.
I remember a thread on this topic (could not find) how someone maybe a member on here bought the original order book from the Bryans collection with all the serial numbers and who the first owners were, I suppose it’s great the info exists unlike from other manufacturers, even if not open to others. I am sure also on some machines the Bryans factory scrawled on the inside the new owners name, have seen this on a number of machines assuming they were related...
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

treefrog wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:47 am I suppose it’s great the info exists unlike from other manufacturers
But might as well not exist since it's hidden away and only of use to the current owner and presumably his buddies! If anything by publishing that data interest in surviving Bryan's machines would go up because of the added history and provenance. But maybe the owner is using the data for that reason to buy up machines of greater interest? I think the data belongs to each and every machine, not one selfish collector!

Years ago I sold a Windmill back to Britain that I'd turned up in Australia and had been owned by the largest operator here. Later I read about a Windmill that had been left unsold at the Bryan's factory during the war and then afterwards shipped to Australia. I mentioned this to the current owner and asked if he could track down the serial number info as was likely the same machine, but nothing ever came of it.