Ruffler and Walker racing games

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Ruffler and Walker racing games

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog

Ruffler and Walker racing games

Post by treefrog »

Anyone tempted by this beauty

RUFFLER and WALKER

It is a bit rich for my blood, but I probably would prefer the car themed version, which I believe was also at the same Arcadia 85 auction. I have one of these catalogues and only wish they had taken pictures of all the machines. One thing I do not have is the prices realised, does anyone have a copy. It would be interesting to see how much people paid 25 years ago against today's prices.
Attachments
ruffler-walker-bike.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Ruffler and Walker Racer

Post by coin-op »

tree-frog wrote:''I probably would prefer the car themed version, which I believe was also at the same Arcadia 85 auction.''
''It would be interesting to see how much people paid 25 years ago against todays prices.''
The cycle racer went for £700 (hammer price), so it wasn't cheap even back then. As to the car themed version (lot 14 in the same auction), it went for a bargain £200...but who know's what condition it was in. Personally, I prefer the cycle racer...it's cute when their little legs go at it. Incidentally, the cabinet version of the game currently up for auction is one of the versions the game comes in; some have a top box with a glass sign in it with the name of the game.
Attachments
Copy of IMG_5073.JPG
Last edited by coin-op on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: picture added
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

There's a Grand Prix in the VCA Las Vegas spring auction next month -

There aren't many British machines this year. Not as many slot machines of any kind, actually - this auction is trending more and more to antiques of the barber's chair and enamel sign kind.
Attachments
lot 455.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Operator Bell wrote:There's a Grand Prix in the VCA Las Vegas spring auction next month -
I wonder if it's the one which cropped up on ebay USA a few times for some huge sum (was it around $20,000??).
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Regarding the Ruffler and Walker cycle racer on ebay, it is described as being 1930s, yet the Paul Braithwaite book Arcades and Slot Machines attributes it to 1954. A typo somewhere? or something else? I expect somebody can put me to the wise.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

13rebel wrote: it is described as being 1930s,
Definitely 1950s as far as I know and everyone I've ever spoken to holds that view.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks coin op, that'll do me.
lourens

Ruffler and walker racer

Post by lourens »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Wondered if anyone could tell me what the value of a Ruffler and Walker Grand Rrix racer is?
It's in good condition and fully working.
Cabinet has the lighted top glass.

Any info? Please let me know.

Best regards
Lourens
mr merrivale

Lost Ruffler and Walker Racer

Post by mr merrivale »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Lost Ruffler and Walker Racer.
I thought you all might like to see the pictures of what I call the lost Scooter Racer.
I have known of this racer for four plus years and can now confirm I was lucky enough to purchase it on Tuesday.
I always thought it was an operator conversion, but now I am convinced it is a truly original machine from R&W. The scooters are from the same supplier as the other cars/helicopters, right down to the same wheels.
Attachments
20210710_170441a.jpg
20210710_112746a.jpg
moonriver

Re: Lost racer

Post by moonriver »

Very nice!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Well done Pete, another great addition to your vintage arcade!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Great find. Well done Peter and thanks for sharing. !!THUMBSX2!!
JC

Re: Lost Ruffler & Walker racer

Post by JC »

Very nice, especially being the first to surface, could quite possibly be unique.
I notice two things:

1. It's going backwards, and

2. The slide mech would seem to imply that there's no coin return,

A very nice find though !THUMBS!
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

Yes it is the wrong way. There is one more known to be the wrong way, in the same style of cabinet with the off set centre rail. That one is a Grand Prix which sold at the EH.
The coin mech and coin return - the coin cup has been removed and replaced with a coin slide.
Lots of work to be done.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I realize that it is a British game but why didn't they put the riders on BSA, Triumph, Norton, Royal Enfield or some other cool English motorcycle instead of those sissy scooters? !PUZZLED!

J Peterson
BikerFan, USA
brigham

Post by brigham »

Pehaps Ruffler's thought that Mods would be less of a risk than Rockers, in a seaside arcade?
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

john t peterson wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:38 pmI realize that it is a British game but why didn't they put the riders on BSA, Triumph, Norton, Royal Enfield or some other cool English motorcycle instead of those sissy scooters?

I hope there are no mods reading this!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

The style of those scooters with single seats suggests that this was based on 1950s style which predate 'mods and rocker' days of the early to mid 1960s. Not that I ever had a scooter - I had a BSA Gold Star 500 single - fantastic machine but a pig in traffic with its high ratio gearbox.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

First a disclaimer... I too never had anything to do with scooters..nasty things, I started with a Kawasaki 250 and ended with a Suzuki trials bike in road trim.
arrgee wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 amThe style of those scooters with single seats suggests that this was based on 1950s style which predate 'mods and rocker' days of the early to mid 1960s.
Not so, the models are very close to the Vespa 150 which was made from 1960 onwards (still being made in India).

FeaturedVespa.jpg

john t peterson wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:38 pmI realize that it is a British game but why didn't they put the riders on BSA, Triumph, Norton, Royal Enfield or some other cool English motorcycle instead of those sissy scooters?
John, bearing in mind the above the scooter race makes perfect sense. At that time 10s of thousands of scooter riders (Mods) were descending on the seaside resorts on bank holidays to attempt to throw deck chairs and motorcycle riders (rockers) off the pier. The arcades were jammed packed with anorak-wearing mods who would have loved to race plastic scooters in a slot machine. Historical note:- Rockers were in decline by the mid '60s, so were heavily outnumbered by the mods, but we still put up a good show and many a mod had to use his stupid anorak as a life jacket. !!CRASH!!

rockers-kicking-a-mod.jpg