Mechanical Memories Auction 2009

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Coventry Auction - 29 November 2009

Post by badpenny »

It's the lesser of two evils really, in order to be able to pay out the vendors on the day we need to get the money in first. As it was, and despite it all being explained in the conditions of sale in the catalogue and clearly spelt out by Jerry before the auction we still had two numpties who couldn't pay their tab because they were relying on their lots selling.

As for the break in the middle we decided not to do it due to the large number of lots (nearly 300) the decision to soldier on and not finish late meant we ended at a nice early finish.
I guess not everybody comes for the social experience and a chance to catch up with faces they haven't seen for a year, they merely want to look, buy and go. The other side of that coin is that by the time Jerry and I go which is usually an hour and a half after the last payout we usually still have up to a couple of dozen people standing around chewing the cud, who literally have to be forced out of the door. :D
JC

Post by JC »

We can't please all of the people all of the time, but I do think we please most of the people most of the time. Putting aside the practicallities of paying in early, I really don't believe the majority want to have their enjoyment spoiled by one-armed bandits being wheeled out on sack barrows half way through the auction.

Was it really such a long day for everyone? I doubt there were many who had to stumble out of bed before me (4.30 am), and I doubt there were many who got home after me (about 10.00 pm). As BP says above, one of our problems at the end of the day is actually getting rid of people! We did accept early payment from a few buyers last year (which I vowed I would not be doing this time, as it was very disruptive), one of whom then proceeded to prop up the bar for the rest of the day! :dammit:

I guess we'll never please everyone, but unless the number of lots in future years increases dramatically (which I don't want to see happen :shock: ), then I think the system is likely to stay as it is.
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

JC wrote: I really don't believe the majority want to have their enjoyment spoiled by one-armed bandits being wheeled out on sack barrows half way through the auction.
On the contrary, it provides an interesting diversion, and makes extra space on the tables for sitting on. :D
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

On the contrary, it provides an interesting diversion, and makes extra space on the tables for sitting on
I would disagree with this, it would be a nightmare if people were shoving past you trying to shuffle machines past your legs while your trying to just get that bid in. Space is tight as it is and would distract form the overall atmosphere. In any case what would we have to lean on :-?

Auctions should be fun and perhaps people should relax more and make a day of it. The only way you could do this would be to have an oversized auction room to cater for the movement.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Given the size of the venue, which I think is just right, and the number of people involved in running the event, the only way that early paying in and collecting machines before the end of the auction could work, would be I suspect, by Jerry employing two more people. One to take the money and more importantly one to man the door and check the lots out. This would undoubtedly add to the costs and therefore an increase in the commission %, catalogue price, lot entry fees etc. The 6% commission is actually incredibly low at present compared to most auction houses and especially Sothebys and Christies who used to sell slots, and by the time their % was added plus VAT it made a huge difference to the price.
As it is Jerry was helped by a few volunteers, especially Kevin on the door.
I think as it is run by and organised by and promoted by the two J`s we should respect their rules and if you don`t agree then don`t go.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It would take more than two extra as a duplicate computer on a local network to the main one would have to be rigged up to run in tandem.
It ain't going to happen so enjoy your day out and make the most of your loved ones allowing you a whole 6 hours dedicated to your hobby. :D
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

I want to look at the prices, but I can't get into the Arena. I sent me £2 off ages ago, but my password doesn't seen to work, any ideas?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've emailed you a Password reminder. I'm guessing it may be different from the one you use regularly on the Forum.
If you want me to change it to match, please email me your Forum Password (I don't have access to it).
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

OK I've had this fantastic idea - you'll love this. :D

We've all got bidder numbers, right? When somebody has finished bidding, he hands his bidder number in. This automatically prevents him from bidding on any more lots.

These numbers are all stacked up in the order in which they were handed in. At the end of the auction, these numbers are called out to determine the order of payment. (Anybody who misses their call just gets put to the end.)

So, the people who finish bidding early, get to pay first, and nobody has to stand around in a queue for hours at the end. They can sit down in comfort, go outside, talk to their friends, go to the bog, sit at the bar, etc. as long as they are in the room when their number is called.

I'm a genius. :cool:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Well, firstly, that may start to deter some people from holding on to their bidding slips and bidding on later items...not in the interests of the sellers or the auctioneers. Secondly, I can just see a mass of bidders who have handed in their bidding slips congragating around the auctioneers platform...and you've guessed it, the next bidding slip number number they call out belongs to a guy at the back who takes a minute or two to get to the front...or doesn't hear and then there is a two minute wait to see if he did hear and is actually pushing his way to the front. Oh, and then there is the person they employ to call out the numbers whilst Jerry and Jeremy are dealing with whoever is actually at their desk paying in. Then, if many of the people who are paying in are sellers and want to wait for their cash, then your proposal only benefits a small group of people. And apart from the stress of running the auction, it just adds another layer to the auction cake.
JC

Post by JC »

Bent Copper, perhaps next year we should hold the auction in your back garden. You wouldn't even have to get out of bed - just let us know in advance the lots you're interested in, and we'd let you know when they were coming up. You could then bid from your bedroom window. Paying in wouldn't be a problem - we'd make sure you were first, so as to minimise any inconvenience. We'd get someone to gently tap on your kitchen door, and enquire if you would kindly settle your bill. Of course, if you found you had over-spent, I'm sure we could find someone to run you down to the nearest cashpoint.

For anyone who doesn't like the paying-in system, I refer you to BP's reply above:

It ain't going to change, so just enjoy the day.........

and to Bryans Fan's reply:

If you don't like the rules, don't come.

Jerry
bandito

Post by bandito »

I enjoyed the auction, bought a bandit which I am pleased with, think the lighting in the hall needs to be improved next time as it was a little on the "dim" side... I got to the auction at 11am and it was very busy then, a bit of a squeeze at times... nice to see all the old machines there and I am sure there were many happy customers at the end of the day.
It was frustrating having to wait at the end to pay, but I accept that - well, I was at the back of the queue after all.... 8) .
Will be back next year for sure........ :D
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Coin-op wrote:Well, firstly, that may start to deter some people from holding on to their bidding slips and bidding on later items...not in the interests of the sellers or the auctioneers. Secondly, I can just see a mass of bidders who have handed in their bidding slips congragating around the auctioneers platform...and you've guessed it, the next bidding slip number number they call out belongs to a guy at the back who takes a minute or two to get to the front...or doesn't hear and then there is a two minute wait to see if he did hear and is actually pushing his way to the front. Oh, and then there is the person they employ to call out the numbers whilst Jerry and Jeremy are dealing with whoever is actually at their desk paying in. Then, if many of the people who are paying in are sellers and want to wait for their cash, then your proposal only benefits a small group of people. And apart from the stress of running the auction, it just adds another layer to the auction cake.
These objections are a bit silly. :roll: People are not going to take 2 minutes to respond, and it doesn't need a special person to shout the numbers out! When the person collecting the money has finished with one person, he just stands up and shouts out the next number. There's even a handy PA system sitting there not being used. If nobody comes up within (say) 20 seconds, he just moves onto the next number.

The brilliance of my conception canot be denied. :cool:

(Not sure what happens if people forget their numbers though.)
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

As you have so many good ideas I suggest you run the next auction.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Bent Copper wrote: These objections are a bit silly.
The brilliance of my conception canot be denied.
Well, each to their own view, I think what I said reflects what would probably happen/be required in reality.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D .
I have to hang my head in shame as I admit that I left the auction mid afternoon with lots of items still to go under the hammer, I would have liked to stay till the very end queue or no queue, but as the day went on the thought of driving the 200 miles up the motorway in the dark and rain preyed more and more on my mind, It’s silly but I have never liked driving on motorways at night :( , consequently I came home with nothing, I feel that the long drive home after the auction may be the reason behind some of the comments made by other members of this forum regarding getting off early after bidding, At this point I would just like to say that the two J’s and Co. did a great job in the running of the auction :thumbs: and I can’t see any other practical way to do it better, so for next year’s auction and I hope there will be one, I will be making a weekend of it by driving down on Saturday afternoon in the daylight and book into a hotel near to the auction for both Saturday and Sunday night and have a steady drive back on Monday morning hopefully with a car full of goodies, so if getting away early is a problem why not do the same, I know some people have to work on Mondays but you have a full 12 months to plan round that one... :tarah:
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

GREAT IDEA SLOTALOT!! You're views were just the same for me about driving on motorways at night - most cars were racing past me at well over 90mph, and it was torrential rain!! Some drivers will just NOT slow down.... THINK YOU HAVE JUST COMPLETED THIS JIGSAW! GOOD ONE.
Bent Copper

Roll-A-Top

Post by Bent Copper »

I know there's no accounting for prices at auctions, but I was interested to see that a Roll-A-Top fetched 5000 Euros at a slot auction at Chartres France last weekend. I wonder why there was no serious interest in the one at Coventry, seeing as how it was given star billing. It even had all the extra bits as well, like gold award, skill stops and vendors (although curiously, the seller didn't mention any of those). :?

Was there anything wrong with it? Was it a reproduction?
JC

Post by JC »

Haven't you just answered your own question?

"I know there's no accounting for prices at auction"

Clearly, there were two or more bidders in France who desperately wanted a Rol-a-Top. It's just a shame they couldn't make it to Coventry.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Two weeks have gone by since the auction and I still have two orphaned bandits sitting in my front room. I understand their owner thought they had sold and didn't check his payout slip too closely.

The Christmas festivities dictate the order of play in our house and my own machines have to go and sulk in the dog's bedroom, so these two having no security of tenure will have to go and no mistake.
Consequently I understand they are to be offered for sale in MMM, Ebay and on this site.

So watch this space and grab yourself an end of season bargain. More details to follow ............. :D