Mechanical Memories Auction 2010

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
john t peterson

Re: Coventry Auction 2010

Post by john t peterson »

Report...anyone? !PUZZLED!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done Jerry and Jeremy for all your efforts, another successful day and a number of very good lots appearing again. I was outbid on a number of lots but hey that's life. A few lots going at very good prices and a few going much higher than I imagined.

What I don't understand is how Jerry managed to organise the only snow within a 50 mile radius, was in the 'sloping' car park of the venue so I hope you guys all managed to hold on to your machines whilst carrying them to your vehicle.

Another good day, thanks Jerry & Jeremy.

Richard

ps didn't see you Mr Peterson - what colour was the carnation you were wearing?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Oh well, that’s another one over and done with. I normally come out with some trite comment at this point that it’s great to see how old and ugly you’re all becoming, but not this year.

I can honestly say with my heart on my wallet that it was simply superb to see Mrs Cowman again. There were also a lot of blokes who collect slots there as well ….. probably ……. can’t say I noticed.

Despite the weather, the economic downturn, the price of fuel, the pending increase in VAT, the rise in unemployment and Johnny Burley being on holiday you all did us proud.
You came, you brought machines and then you bought them.

Many thanks to our two auctioneers and also the band of volunteers, who manned the doors, did our security, set up tables then pulled them down again afterwards and managed the portering. You all make it the event that it is……
Namely not only the yearly slot event in the UK but the one that also attracts buyers from abroad ……. Ok one buyer from abroad …. Unless you count he who shan’t be named who comes down from Inverness … then it’s two.

I was blatantly obvious in my lack of waving Allwins around in the air this year due to having majestically buggered up my left arm one sober night when I soberly fell down a flight of stairs and landed in a sober heap down near the sober front door.

So Doff’s son Liam stood in allowing me to supervise and admire what a fine figure of a woman Mrs Cowman is……. did I mention she made it this year?.... in more ways than one.
Something else I observed with a wry smile this year is the way the lots are handled. When the vendors arrive with their offerings they aren’t always overly careful. Machines, big, small, light and heavy tend to be dragged in and abandoned like waifs at the side door of the orphanage. Then nine hours or so later the new owners bundle them up with care and cherish before shielding them against the harsh weather outside.

The number of lots this year was about right, less bandits than last year, 2009 looked like one of those postcards of Vegas. There were certainly a couple or three machines I’d never seen before and prices were good.
Jerry usually puts a bit of a report on regarding the state of the market so I’ll leave it to him to do later as I’m currently sitting on all of the paperwork whilst he and Sharon are lording it up in one of the poshest hotels Coventry has.
By the way I’m aware that a good number of you took advantage of the special offers being banded around hotel wise, how about you telling us which ones they were and what you thought?

We can be quite a forgiving lot in the slot world but tend to talk straight, so I shall.
I was disappointed that Steve Hunt started handing out details of his forthcoming event at our auction. As someone who has experience of how much effort and money is involved in holding a get together like ours it should of occurred to him of all people that a polite ………..
“Hi guys, would you have any objection if I publicise my own event ….?”
……… wouldn’t have gone amiss.
He might not have gotten the answer he wanted, but Jerry and I would have openly discussed it before deciding.
I guess it’s true that leopards don’t change their spots, it may also be true that it’s not only Elephants but those that are attracted to their houses that have long memories.
Anyway I shan’t be going and I hope his free marketing gives him value for money.

Unlike last year we didn't fall over any abandoned machines lurking in the corners when we came to leave, which must mean we are all becoming more careful in our dotage. Either that or the Mogadons are taking effect and us old farts are more with it during the waking hours.
although as an update to last year's event I have to relate that I still have one of the two bandits that were discarded. Although I sold them for the owner on eBay and posted him the money just before last Christmas. One of the buyers never collected it, it's still behind the chair in the front room, much to Doff's sheer delight! :tut I'm nervous about putting it into next year's auction in case these things happen in threes and yet again I have to haul the thing around like an albatross around my neck.

That just leaves me to say thanks to the Coundon Social Club, their duty steward Rob (aged 19) who couldn’t do enough for us and the ladies who were there at 8.00am plying us with hot teas and bacon rolls.
:byee:
edited to correct a spooling mistuk
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes thanks to all for another well run and enjoyable day........I only wished I had not stopped off to help some maidens in distress on the A14, who had a burst radiator, they appreciated my useless advice, especially as I had no eggs with me.....although those extra 30 minutes would have allowed me to get a nice bacon butty and assess the lots properly, although this didn't seem to stop me ending up with more than I could fit in the car, maybe one or two too many projects with all the others I already have.

Some times though the smallest item is the most pleasing and finding some locks to fit my Challenger was great .......

I seem to have taken on a load of electro german wall machines and I hate electrics, still you have to start somewhere. You never know there may even be fireworks for 2011 :zapa:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Excellent report, BP! I've long thought your true strength ran to writing. !!GOODJOB!!

Well done, Lad and Lasses! Full recognition to J&J for their Herculean efforts at keeping the hobby alive and the fun percolating. And here's a "hat's off" to those of you who attended. Though the weather sounded a bit challenging, you made the effort to, as we say in the States, "Vote with your feet!" The mysterious and wonderful history you have represented by these terrific machines will only survive as long as you care enough to support the hobby.

So, congratulations all around! **xXx**

J Peterson
Your American cousin
JC

Post by JC »

BP's just about said everything that needs saying, but I do think we should acknowledge the valiant efforts of all those who attended, particularly the vendors, given this must surely have been the coldest day of the year so far. As I was frantically scraping the ice off my van at 5.30 in the morning, I was a little nervous that some vendors and their precious lots would not arrive. I already knew of one vendor who had had to pull out due to personal problems, but everyone else made it with the exception of one who phoned me during the course of the morning to let me know he was snowed in.
Attendance was down from last year, but again, given the weather, I think we did very well. This was our first event so far that the weather could have seriously buggered us..............and it didn't! Well done and thankyou all for your efforts and support.

As for prices, well a strange one this year. A good number of lots sold for far in excess of what I would have expected - one lot in particular sold for over four times its reserve! In contrast, there were a few nice machines with sensible reserves that unfortunately didn't quite make it. On the whole, I do think machine prices are holding up, and given the general ecconomic climate, I think it's fair to say interest and a willingness to spend is as keen as ever.

We look forward to seeing you all next year, and once again, thankyou for making yesterday the day that it was.
brianward

Post by brianward »

May I offer my thanks for a great day out.. I managed to buy a machine this year - very brave of me. The dragon is still going on about it, "you said 7 years ago it would be one machine! There are now 43 sorry make that 44." Still she will have calmed down by next Novemeber. Really appreciate the effort put in and the fellowship it generates.

Brian
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

!!THUMBSX2!! yes well done the j's and all involed **xXx** it was a great day even though i only came back with one machine{ with broken glass nothing to worry about} it worked out well with the weather,its got a lot worse since. harold forgot to bring his elvis suit to do a turn on the stage!!!!! mrs cowman had a good day she liked the parkers carousel allwins but said one the case was too new and the other the mec was all new ,so im not getting an allwin for xmas, quite liked the firework allwin my self . any way got enough projects to last the winter, again well done all !!CHEERS!!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Well its Thursday 2nd Dec and I we have just got home from the Coventry Auction !PUZZLED!
I think we can say that this years auction was a success once again thanks to the efforts of Jerry, Jeremy & Co. !!GROUPHUG!! , and it was good to meet up with old friends for a natter, I even managed at long last to put a face to the name Dave Lavender !WORSHIPFULL! and it turned out that I had seen Dave at lots of other slot related events over the years, and never realised it was him :!?!: , maybe next year we should all wear name badges so we know who we are???. I managed to take a few photos just in case you missed the auction, I am the one behind the camera !!PHOTO!!
And if you are wondering why it took me untill Thursday to get home, well when we left Coventry after the auction, instead of heading home to Halifax we went south to Torquay to check out some vitage slots, but thats another story for the Mechanical Memories Magazine, so make sure your subscription is upto date and I will tell you all about it !!CHEERS!!
Attachments
P1060069.JPG
P1060079.JPG
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

The coventry auction 2010 was a GREAT day out , I can vouch to that !! , for those of us who didn't write every lots final price down on the day , and for those who didn't make it, for one reason or another ,have the powers that be any idea when the auction RESULTS will be posted in the arena ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The relevant file is about to mailed to Mr PM for inclusion in The Arena even as we speak.
JC

Post by JC »

Prices are in the cyber post - it's now all down to Mr PM
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Soon as "the powers that be" (and time) allows, I'll get to it. Meantime some more auction pics courtesy the Grabber:
Attachments
mmm-auction-013a.jpg
mmm auction 016.jpg
mmm auction 009.jpg
mmm auction 006.jpg
mmm auction 024.jpg
mmm auction 011.jpg
mmm auction 007.jpg
mmm auction 005.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

its taken a while but its looks good now ,my mates a bit of a artist recreateing the art work on the glass, can you remember it all broke on the floor??
Attachments
Penny tap.jpg
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

another pic
Attachments
Tap2.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

jimmycowman wrote:another pic
Nicely done Jimmy, a credit to the art. Good to see another endangered machine saved. Is your wife coming to Coventry this year?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

jimmycowman wrote:its taken a while but its looks good now ,my mates a bit of a artist recreateing the art work on the glass, can you remember it all broke on the floor??
Hi Jimmy, yes I remember it well, your friend has done a good job on the repaint !THUMBS! Nice Machine!!!!
here is a phot that I took on the day !!PHOTO!!
Attachments
P1060073.JPG
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

yes mrs cowman says shes going, is there a mrs badpenny and are you bringing her ??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

jimmycowman wrote:yes mrs cowman says shes going, is there a mrs badpenny and are you bringing her ??
Keep up Jimmy! .......... Keep up for heaven's sake! :NBG:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2448