First ever Wonders Allwin?

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

First ever Wonders Allwin?

Post by coin-op »

I'm sure a few will have seen the recently listed Wonders Win and Place on ebay. I realise that its a 'free listing weekend' which does bring out the odd optimistic listing...but £1,500 for a Win and PLace? I see the guy says ' First ever Wonders Allwin?' , so I'm wondering if he is claiming that this machine is THE first machine they made (can't see what supports that claim), or just that the Win and Place was Wonder's first allwin machine (personally I'd have thought it was perhaps the 24 cup). Anyway, he says too that it has been re-cased. I'm sure too that the same seller recently listed a Win and Place which sold for a healthy £735. So, I'd be interested to know how anyone else figures this. It it just marketing ploy and a further wonder of ebay....or am I missing something !PUZZLED!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
treefrog

Re: First ever Wonders Allwin?

Post by treefrog »

Optimistic is the right word, but he does state that he will take the highest offer made towards the end of the auction...
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

For a re cased machine it seems very dear to me. Perhaps the seller is remembering the little batch of Wonders machines that made very good money on ebay last year.
Generally in my view Allwin prices are very reasonable at the moment. When I started 15 + years ago Allwins could make £600 easy.
This Ollie Whales just sold for a very cheap £430 in my opinion.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oliver-Whales-Win ... fresh=true

I also notice the rare Bijou Pickwick that "sold" recently is back on!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pessers-moody-wra ... 588c9bd381
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Supply and demand I guess is the obvious answer, if there are less collectors. I noticed the Olly Whales machine mentioned was being sold with around 7 other machines over the last week, including bandits a challenger, clock and bullion.....I then noticed these are all listed on a fellow collectors website with a link from this forum site as below for a Craig Long, not sure if this is one less collector or just a change machines to something different !!UHOH!!
"Antique Amusements features Craig Long's British slot machine collection, gallery, links and resources"
http://www.annatar.freeserve.co.uk/anti ... index.html
ninecup

Post by ninecup »

Hi. Dave here from the above mentioned website. Just to let you know I am still an enthusiastic collector, it's just the fact that I am moving house soon !!ESCAPE!! and felt like a bit of spring clean as I have had those machines for quite sometime now. Taking some old friends, the crane and oracle plus a few others with me. '!' Who on earth is Craig Long by the way? I thought Jerry said that he was going to change this when I met him at Brighton early last year. Oh well musn't rush him, such a busy man :tarah:
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

I am Craig,
In the name of Obi-wani have not heard that name in a long time...... Long is not my surname as such; just what I used to fool any possible internet type fraud etc.

I had the site AntiqueAmusements.co.uk which I abandoned many moons ago, however the website is still cached here :- http://www.antiqueamusements.talktalk.net/index.htm

It was right at the start of me collecting pinballs and moving on to antique machines.
Hasn't been updated for like 5 years. It did produce a nice find of machines from a random tip off %|%

I'm still buying not selling.... !!YIPPEE!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks Longbobongo for clearing up that mystery. Two websites called Antique Amusements, but neither of them from the fictional Craig Long. :?
I've corrected the text and reinstated the link to your site. Any chance you'll revive it again adding your "find of machines from a random tip off"?
P.s. your Circle Skill variant is unusual.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Getting back into the vein of the original post, anybody got any ideas as to Wonders first allwin? e.g. 24 cup?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

13rebel wrote:.....anybody got any ideas as to Wonders first allwin? e.g. 24 cup?
Just to clarify why I'd guess it was the 24 cup. I've seen a couple of these machines which don't have the Wonders '1D' coin entry and also at least one which didn't have a standard Wonders payout handle (having an earlier looking handle as found on some 30's allwins). Nor do they seem to generally have the Wonders 'trade mark' graphics. So, that seems to indicate that the production started pre-Wonders hallmark 'look'. But I'm ready to be shot down by those who know what they are talking about.
JC

Post by JC »

First, sorry Dave. I know we spoke about the mysterious Craig Long down at Brighton, and I do remember saying I would get pennymachines to correct it - I suppose I just forgot. In fairness, you did say you would link my website.................seems we're both busy!

As for Win and Place, I've no idea what the first Wonders allwin would have been, but I should have thought that the multi-ball machines (of which Win and Place is one) would have come later. It also seems odd that the seller descibes it as 'rare', as I am sure most would agree that Win and Place is probably the most common of all the Wonders allwins.

Jerry
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

JC wrote: It also seems odd that the seller descibes it as 'rare', as I am sure most would agree that Win and Place is probably the most common of all the Wonders allwins.

Jerry
I'd certainly agree that it's not rare...unless I was selling mine...then I'd tell everyone they are rare (wonder if that's the clever ploy the seller is using !PUZZLED! )
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Win and Place together with Wonder Pools are the earliest dated Wondermatics machines listed in Arcades & Slot Machines, so maybe that's what the vendor was going from. However, not all the games (e.g. 24 Cup) are listed and of those that are, less than half are dated. I think Coin-op makes a good case for 24 Cup being an earlier game.

Braithwaite got his Win and Place date from the World's Fair edition of 20th March 1954, where I assume it was advertised as that year's new model. However, doesn't this Win & Mystery look earlier, even though, according to the book, it was introduced on 26th January 1956? The Wonder Win (front, below) with its bog-standard Saxony Allwin Deluxe layout and central instruction card, evidently pre-dates Win & Mystery but wasn't advertised in the World's Fair until 26th January 1957.
Attachments
Wonderwin-Mystery.jpg
wonderwin.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I see that the win and place sold for £950....anyone want to buy mine :o
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

Hey coin-op , they can have mine for £900 !!!!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

What isn't my bid, do I not hear 850!?