"An old chestnut", carefully revisited

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

"An old chestnut", carefully revisited

Post by coppinpr »

At the risk of turning over old ground, and the sound of the old regulars groaning and holding their hands to their heads, I want to bring up the subject, carefully, quietly and delicately of an extra M.M. auction this year.

I know the problems involved, I know how much work is involved (and before I hear, "yeah sure", I really do. I've been a business man all my life and I know about organizing things and the fact it takes twice as much work as you think it will. I've even run auctions in the past) but I really think we need to try two per year. Things have changed in our hobby with regards to buying and selling machines,and ebay is the main reason.

So few machines get through on Ebay and interest in those few is strong. Prices are unrealistically high because people don't have any other way of buying. The recent Elephant House auction was, by their own admission, the busiest for many years, if not ever.

I ask the question of those involved, with help from others, but with the ball clearly in their court - is a summer auction possible?
I (and others) would like to see an auction held a little further south but, if it must be Coventry, then so be it. A venue 50 miles further south would, I believe generate a lot of new interest, without causing the regulars too much hardship but, as I say, if it must be Coventry, then so be it.

I am in a position to offer a great deal of help both during the set up and on the day, without asking to have any say in the way it's run, and I'm sure a few others will do the same if needed. I am quite prepared to help as much as is needed without expecting any ideas I might have to even be considered by the experts involved.

I am also prepared to put quite a lot money into the project with the hope, but not the expectation of recuperating some (even if not all) of my outlay.

What are the chances lads? None, I can hear already, but I believe there is a chance. Tell us the reasons why not and let's see if acceptable solutions can be found,

This is a serious suggestion by me and I'm prepared to back it up with hard cash. Please, think about it, it will work, and we can lessen the load. The time is right !!IDEA!!
JC

Re: "An old chestnut", carefully revisited

Post by JC »

coppinpr wrote:At the risk of turning over old ground, and the sound of the old regulars groaning and holding their hands to their heads, I want to bring up the subject, carefully, quietly and delicately of an extra M.M. auction this year.
1) There’s no need for anyone to tread eggshells when broaching the subject of auctions. It’s only when jerks who haven’t a clue what they’re talking about start telling us what we’re doing wrong, and that what we should be doing is hiring the Albert Hall for a fortnight to put on some sort of ‘slotties super show’ that we get angry.

2) There is a possibility there will be another auction this year, probably towards the end of September. BP and I have discussed it very briefly, but at the moment I can’t really say any more. If it does happen, it will be in the south, but easily accessible.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's an excellent suggestion Paul. By no means does it throw heads into hands.

Jerry and I in the past were running two a year and the Easter one was Darn Sarf.

We found the major stumbling block was available, interesting and relevant lots to boost the event.

A lot of the machines that appear and subsequently may get pulled by eBay are not owned by members of this site or Jerry's comic. We would be relying on the known members as suppliers.
We stopped doing them as the overheads were higher than Coventry and although we saw faces that couldn't get to Coventry, the majority of lots were ones that would have arrived at Coventry anyway.

What we need is to be given the opportunity to dispose of a collection or a bulk clear out such as The Elephant House benefited from last year (allegedly).

We are always open to such opportunities and for the benefit of the hobby and everyone concerned we will adjust the % commission to secure the lots and still give a great day out for the buyers. It's fair to say we don't want to run auctions that are 56% machine and parts related with the rest comprising of irrelevant items with a tenuous link.

Going on in the background JC and I talk with potential bulk dispersal vendors regularly and below the Watford Gap would always be an option.

You all can help by ......
Committing to supplying lots to auction.
Watching this space.

BP

PS .... Whilst typing this reply JC snuck in with his reply, we had promised each other not to spill the beans, so I was being more cautious. However it pays to advertise, so if you want to benefit this Summer'ish ...... shout loud - it'll help us to persuade the vendor(s) concerned.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I for one would fully support another auction, !!THUMBSX2!!
marktol

Post by marktol »

Great post Paul and very well put.

I would definitely be interested. It would make sense to stagger the time between the regular Elephant House ones, so as to give a more consistent market.

(That's not me telling you how to do it BTW :) )

eBay has got so ridiculous. I had a 'Jolly **** Bank' vintage money box removed today because it was offensive! They have gone PC mad. It's a vintage Collectable and is the name of the product of which many thousands of several types were made and then copied and reproduced years later.
raj

Post by raj »

My 6 (old) penneth for what it is worth: I would support any advance of the current situation with slot auctions, and have travelled from oop north down to Ascot and Gatwick for shows in the past, and would make a short break of the weekend.
It is not just about buying and selling, the people behind the hobby are just as important, and without that contact, much is lost.
I guess the cost of the venue has to be a very heavy consideration, but standing in a freezing old warehouse for hours is no fun and results in many buyers simply giving up after a while. I think charges will have to rise to make this worthwhile, especially when you compare commercial fees from auction houses.
A positive note is that the membership numbers have jumped significantly over the last year, helped by references on ebay. The downside is that ebay have a very negative attitude to anything slot related, to try and keep on the right side of HMG and the GC.
The old problem of licenses will not go away, and this is a potential issue for owners of machines being able to move them on when they chose, without getting grief from every corner. Regular auctions would be a great help, if they could be held without undue interference or threat from the GC.............over to the rest of the forum.. :byee:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I actually think a second auction would pull enough lots. The situation for all the forum members has changed since the last auction. It's definitely harder to sell now. If you got enough lots, then I think you will now, plus a move a little south would bring in new lots for sure.
Would it not be possible to advertise for lots as other auctions do? The Brighton jukebox show does exactly that. Plus an email shot direct to ALL forum members, active or not, can't hurt and easy to do at no cost. I'll commit 3 machines to any Summer auction right now.

Please take me at my word, you need reasonable financial support, advance admin work or just a pair of hands on the day,all without any intrusion then Im your man ,for the good of the hobby. !!THUMBSX2!!
jra

Post by jra »

Hello All,
What a great idea, I could not agree more with the above comments, I for one would supply at least five machines to an auction held a bit nearer to home. It would also be nice to meet some the members who contribute so much to this forum.
Regards JRA.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Ok guys.lets do what bp suggests. Make a commitment to an extra auction by pledgimg lots. We have 8 ln one day. What would be a working min number bp? Tell us and im sure the members will do there part to start the process going
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think we'd be twitchy on the day if we had less than 300 lots ......... with no less than 75% of that being machines.
JC

Post by JC »

OK, as there seems there might be some support for a summer event, BP and I have decided to float the idea of an auction in June. For a number of reasons, it is likely to be at our usual venue in Coventry. The September auction (which will definitely be in the south) is still a possibility, although as I've said above, I can't say too much at the moment. What I can say, is that we are in discussions with a particular vendor, and that the majority of lots will be from that vendor alone - there would therefore not be an open invitation for entries. It is for this reason that we have decided to look at an event in June, for which all will be welcome to submit entries.

Jerry
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Can I ask how many lots were at the last auction and how many were machines?, I cant remember myself, also how are the lots raised for Coventry auctions? simply through exposure on the forum? if not how many came from other ways?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

So in short our activity for this year looks like this .........

June - Auction open to all vendors Coventry, exact date TBA

September - Auction on behalf of one vendor, all buyers welcome, venue & date TBA however South of Midlands.

November - Our usual Coventry auction planned for Sunday 24th October.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's a real pity the southern auction (if it happens) will not be open to all, as with the main vendor helping to reduce the financial risk, it would have been the perfect opportunity to "test the water" as to sellers/buyers interest in the south. Does it have to be restricted? (I realize it's only a possibility right now) I assume the vendor wants to reduce competition for bids on his lots.
JC

Post by JC »

November - Our usual Coventry auction planned for Sunday 24th October.
:shock: October?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

however South of Midlands.
You do realize the Midlands start just north of High Barnet as far as we in the south are concerned :lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

October?
Don't panic - a quick look shows the 24th Oct is a Thursday.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes, of course I meant November, cancel the De-Fib for Dartford.

Paul ...... No the reason for not opening the September event to all vendors is nothing to do with maximising the opportunity for one person. If it comes off, his contribution will easily fill one auction, and believe me there is only one thing more negative for an auction than standing around with hours of machines to get through and that's standing in a freezing warehouse knowing the next 20 lots consist of Monopoly games and Lava lamps.
One year we had around 400 lots and truly everybody got bored. Which is also why we don't accept late entries.

You'll find the numbers of lots and details of what they were in The Arena

You want to check my figures of how many lots and % that were machines.
That won't apply to Coventry. As an experienced business man you'll understand about break even points and overheads.
When we ran the auctions in Sarratt the hire of the venue which was smaller than our Coventry one cost us nearly five times more.

You're displaying every interest in running your own. Nobody here would have any problem with that. As both JC and I have said on numerous occasions competition is no problem, we've only ever done it for the hobby.
Let us know where and when and we'll travel down to yours, JC and I could do with a day out. :cool:

In exchange for that could you please tell me what I need to buy from my butcher in order to roll and tie a brisket - it is my favourite roast bar none, cooked slowly for around 6 hours. Is it stewing beef that goes into the tie up?

Jeremy
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Is it stewing beef that goes into the tie up?
No, it's just a piece of brisket, boned and rolled, a very distinctive taste, for more info see my latest book (my third !SMARTY! ) " A Butchers Guide To Buying Meat" available on amazon.com for all ebook readers, ipads, PC's and phones. I'm pleased to boast, oh sorry, SAY it's been in the amazon food and drink top ten for 3 months.

Sorry Mr Penneymachines if this counts as selling on the forum :woops:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

When we ran the auctions in Sarratt the hire of the venue which was smaller than our Coventry one cost us nearly five times more
If you DO plan to run an auction in the south, please let me know as soon as you can if you need a well priced venue. My daughter is manger of findersforvenues, one of the largest venue finders/event organizers in the country. Once she knows the area, she can almost certainly find a suitable venue at a good price. Sometimes she can get hotels to offer venues for free if they think some rooms might get booked for Sat night.
Serious offer.