Where to find a nice example?

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
humperdingle

Where to find a nice example?

Post by humperdingle »

So i'm on the hunt for a second mechanical slot... Was thinking a Mini-Maxi as I have fond memories chucking loads of 2p coins into them whilst on holiday in Northern Ireland (Barry's amusements).

Contacted Henry Powell, where I bought my first machine, for an example with excellent chrome and - whilst he has loads in stock - he tells me the chrome isn't 'excellent' on any of them. Assuming those in stock have been painted over.

So where else to enquire?

P.s. Will I find such info if I pay my £2 for access to 'The Arena'?
moonriver

Re: Where to find a nice example?

Post by moonriver »

I have had a lot of Mini Maxi rivieras over the years and they seem to be quite common. All of them have been good with original chrome I think because a lot were kept indoors at room temperature in collections rather than stored commercially. Once you put anything with chrome in an environment where dampness or humidity/temp changes are a factor the chrome will start to deteriorate as it is hydroscopic and moisture penetrates the layer.
Showmen used to cover chrome bandits with grease after the season when stored to try and protect the chrome with mixed results. Re-chromed rivieras are seldom as good quality as cost was a factor (based on the machines value) and usually done as a tarting up exercise.

There are many good examples of original chromed jubilees if you hold out for one
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Good evening humperdingle, i was reading you contacted henry powell. I tried also a few times, but whitout succes. I tried several mails, phonenumbers on his site (left messages on the answering machine) and even a message via e bay. But all whitout succes. I need some parts for my machines and wanted to ask him if he has it on stock. Can you tell me the best way to contact him?

Greetings dutchboy.
humperdingle

Post by humperdingle »

dutchboy wrote:Good evening humperdingle, i was reading you contacted henry powell. I tried also a few times, but whitout succes. I tried several mails, phonenumbers on his site (left messages on the answering machine) and even a message via e bay. But all whitout succes. I need some parts for my machines and wanted to ask him if he has it on stock. Can you tell me the best way to contact him?

Greetings dutchboy.
Hi, he's been efficient in answering my emails to be honest... I sent one yesterday and he replied this morning (pretty good for weekend!).
I just use the contact email address on his website: http://www.1armedbandit.co.uk
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Thanks for the quick respons humperdingle, i will try again later this week.
Greetings.