EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
arrgee

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by arrgee »

scorpa163 wrote:IS IT INSURED
Good point, but if the EH does not cover it, how many have cover for 'items away from the home' on their home insurance policy? For a lot of policies this is an extra.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

usually, items away from home need to be in the vicinity of the owner to be covered and/or individually listed. Also, I'll bet a lot of us have had machines damaged while on show at auction rooms, keys lost, cash boxes stolen, glasses broken etc etc
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

What we all want is for Jerry and Jeremy , and Steve to start running proper auctions as soon as possible. BUT not on the same day.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

You can't beat live auctions. Let's hope they return soon.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I meant to ask this question direct to the J’s, but while a topic runs... Are there any thoughts on an auction this year, as we will all be allowed to hug in June, and maybe an early one would beat any lockdown risk by winter, maybe July ish..? Just a thought, as none of us are going abroad this year. :#: |/XX\|
brigham

Post by brigham »

Prices might be high in those circumstances.
People discouraged from wasting money on foreign booze-ups might spend it on something useful instead.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

You could consider, if you have the option that is, to both buy and sell machines at the same event. Nothing ever guaranteed at auction, but maybe a consideration.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

As Ryanair's Michael O'Leary said at Christmas on the same lines we could have jab and bid auctions!! No jab no bid. He was told off for the campaign though 🤔🤔
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

I had a quick look at the collector connector website. I may have this wrong but it seems like all the past auction results are gone. They are retrievable but you have to pay a subscribtion fee which is £10 pcm. Is this correct?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Although it isn't linked from the main site currently, it's still online and indexed by search engines. E.g. URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN#.php
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Many Thanks Pennymachines!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It won’t be there long now, well done guys ;-)
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

I take my hat off to Steve and Elephant House for trying re-establish the auction business albeit virtual, but nothing can replace the thrill of the day at an auction. I don't fully understand why he has built an elaborate website and "sealed" bids that has no benefit to buyer or seller than say Facebook Marketplace or Facebook groups (ok, apart from being anonymous!). Surely, it would be more successful if Steve just used the premises as a shop front, like Antique concession stores, whereby sellers drop machines off, a price tag is put on it. Punters come and buy when they like, Steve earns a sellers commission and everyone is happy!!!!
From what I can make out, people travel to EH, view the item, go home, place a sealed bid, only to not win! Surely if I have to travel to view the item, it makes sense that I see the price, pay Steve and carry the item out on the day! Simples!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Surely, it would be more successful if Steve just used the premises as a shop front, like Antique concession stores, whereby sellers drop machines off, a price tag is put on it. Punters come and buy when they like, Steve earns a sellers commission and everyone is happy!!!!
I agree completely, this could easily be extended to allow people to buy online from photos and videos if it's not possible for them to visit EH (a lot less work than what Steve has set up right now). Keep it simple and it might just work, the current plan is far too cumbersome and beset with possible pitfalls for both EH and the buyer/seller. Sealed bids are always problematic, longwinded, and annoy more people than they please (they are also wide open to fraud and buyers know that). My guess is he's picked sealed bids because they potentially produce higher selling prices as bidders are scared of missing out and thus higher commission for steve.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I haven't looked at the site in depth but I didn't think he's charging commissions, for buyer or seller? i.e., just a fixed monthly charge to enable you to either bid/sell, so he wouldn't gain higher commission value even if sealed bids were to produce higher selling prices?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If that's true, and it may well be so, sealed bids make no sense at all :!?!:
cjfenney

Post by cjfenney »

coppinpr wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:18 am
Surely, it would be more successful if Steve just used the premises as a shop front, like Antique concession stores, whereby sellers drop machines off, a price tag is put on it. Punters come and buy when they like, Steve earns a sellers commission and everyone is happy!!!!
I agree completely, this could easily be extended to allow people to buy online from photos and videos if it's not possible for them to visit EH (a lot less work than what Steve has set up right now). Keep it simple and it might just work, the current plan is far too cumbersome and beset with possible pitfalls for both EH and the buyer/seller. Sealed bids are always problematic, longwinded, and annoy more people than they please (they are also wide open to fraud and buyers know that). My guess is he's picked sealed bids because they potentially produce higher selling prices as bidders are scared of missing out and thus higher commission for steve.
I agree with both these comments, Littleboys have the kind of set up mentioned above, whereby the seller takes their fairground attractions/slot machines to them, and LB's add their commission on and if any item sells it's win-win for both sides. Sealed bids always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially if people have some distance to travel to view properly, so it's unlikely I'll bother using the website if that's the system in place sadly. !!UHOH!!
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

So is all this even more reason to have a Coventry auction, with less competition around ?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

geordy55 wrote:So is all this even more reason to have a Coventry auction, with less competition around
By the time it is 'safe' to hold a Coventry auction again, EH will probably be back to their normal auctions. :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

my gut feeling is he doesn't want to go back to standard auctions :!?!: A lot of things have changed for him since the last auction