EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
cait001

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:32 pm You don’t have to spend £120, you can subscribe for one month, the only problem is, if someone is interested to sell, they do not deal with you direct and submit for sale in the auction for all to blind bid against. Not a problem if you're bidding loads of course.
Wait wait, I guess I misunderstood the "Wanted ads" part of the site. I thought when you posted that you wanted a machine, prospective sellers can get in touch with you and they'll help bridge the sale.
I didn't realize that if someone has something, the item is THEN forced to go up for blind auction. That's WORSE. :!?!:
sigh
brigham

Post by brigham »

Some confusion, surely...?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The idea is to drive interest from potential sellers what someone might pay, so not a proper wanted add as such.......

From what I can tell the overall feedback has been positive on the new system and a lot of people are pushing items for sale. Will be interesting to see if wanted requests drive people submitting items. Might stick a few requests for rare aristocrats myself :lol:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:30 pm The idea is to drive interest from potential sellers what someone might pay, so not a proper wanted add as such.......

From what I can tell the overall feedback has been positive on the new system and a lot of people are pushing items for sale. Will be interesting to see if wanted requests drive people submitting items. Might stick a few requests for rare aristocrats myself :lol:
OK so it seems then there is no real point for me to join unless I see something I want coming up for sale. I don't think it should be my responsibility to attract sellers to an auction house, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of doing so.
If a Mini Cascade comes up for sale there you bet I'll join up and put in a bid, though. !!YIPPEE!!

I really hope it's a successful endeavour, even if we're all still figuring out the economics of a sealed bid auction. :)
I appreciate the rotation videos, although I'd be better if auto-play on videos was turned off on the site. Doing it like this does have the potential for attracting a far wider audience of buyers than in-person auctions, even if those are the traditional lifeblood of many collecting communities.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't think it should be my responsibility to attract sellers to an auction house, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of doing so.
you just quoted Steves life long business plan exactly, although you did miss the part where he thinks we are all to stupid to notice :lol:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think your missing the point, the big advantage of this service is that you can buy and sell unlimited amount of machines with no commission and no commitment to pay £10 every month..........so in theory you could sell 10 machines for good money controlled by your acceptance of offers and get the full amount for a tenner.

There are things I believe could improve and those joining the livestream events on YouTube have passed this feedback on. So the wanted requests, I see no reason for a system allowing direct contact between prospective parties and suspect something Steve will think about. Also the next area being looked at is selling spares, currently you would have to ship to the Elephant and then they would be shipped to buyer, as such doubles shipping and cost for potential low value items. Have direct interaction obviously makes the service no longer a confidential service and he would have work out how to deal with data protection etc.

At the end of the day, this is a evolving service and I am sure will change and adapt. Also there is nothing else for collectors at the moment apart from the awful Facebook groups where all people are about are the value of their machines.......”what’s it worth” :HaHa: of course there is this site as well I must add.....
cait001

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:35 am I think your missing the point, the big advantage of this service is that you can buy and sell unlimited amount of machines with no commission and no commitment to pay £10 every month..........so in theory you could sell 10 machines for good money controlled by your acceptance of offers and get the full amount for a tenner.

There are things I believe could improve and those joining the livestream events on YouTube have passed this feedback on. So the wanted requests, I see no reason for a system allowing direct contact between prospective parties and suspect something Steve will think about. Also the next area being looked at is selling spares, currently you would have to ship to the Elephant and then they would be shipped to buyer, as such doubles shipping and cost for potential low value items. Have direct interaction obviously makes the service no longer a confidential service and he would have work out how to deal with data protection etc.

At the end of the day, this is a evolving service and I am sure will change and adapt. Also there is nothing else for collectors at the moment apart from the awful Facebook groups where all people are about are the value of their machines.......”what’s it worth” :HaHa: of course there is this site as well I must add.....
My situation is admittedly a bit unique. I could absolutely see how this service would be amazing for collectors in the UK.
As a Canadian that is basically just looking for a single machine (at the moment) that I'm willing to spend the money to ship overseas, it just doesn't work for me.

Outside of my specific case though, if I wanted to attract more sellers I would let any registered+verified (don't want shill ads) user to post want ads for free, because a robust database of want ads with financial info is one thing that can attract more sellers.

If the system moved to allowing direct-contact of sellers to the people posting a want-ad, then I would again be tempted to at least post an ad for a duration.
To be honest, I think my former idea is better: let all users, even ones not paying monthly, to post what they want and what they're looking to spend. Seems probably the best way for them to reach their goal of shaking out machines to sell.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Bring back live on the day auctions it must be time now I bet everyone on here has been double jabbed. In the farming world auctions start back tomorrow. (machinery and tat) Let's hope June 21st happens so we can move on
hiflyer

Re: EH / Collector Connector sales

Post by hiflyer »

Well sadly thanks to our wondrous leaders and their lack of foresight the 21st June won't happen as we all knew it wouldn't. I'm not a regular poster on here but thought I would write a few words about Collector Connector. To be fair to Steve he has clearly put many many hours into the creation of a superb piece of software but I have found the concepts rather difficult to grasp and have to ask myself why I would want to subscribe on a regular basis to use it. Surely it requires a large number of regular subscribers for it to bring in enough cash to make it pay? It is what it's called, a collectors' environment and not really suited to someone like myself who attends auctions occasionally to maybe pick up or sell something on an ad-hoc basis. Are there really enough collectors to keep moving machines around between themselves? How does this system attract new blood into the world of amusement machines? First they have to find it. then they have to work out how to use it. They are more likely to go to look on eBay or try to find an auction. I look forward to Coventry auctions restarting............Please.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

well said !THUMBS!
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

Yawn yawn yawn 🥱 let’s see all the doubters get there stuff for sale on here and see how that goes!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Your last chance to become a Founder Member for LIFETIME SAVINGS!.......... . With statements like that it doesn't look good for the return of elephant house normal auctions... 🙄
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jimmy, it doesn't matter what anyone says today, tomorrow is a different day, with a different game under different rules.
Nothing is carved in stone.
I predict as soon as there is evidence that a way forward against Covid has been proven and all round confidence is renewed everything will change again.
Any takers on Cambridge making a resurgence instead of the Royal Town of L/Spa?
As for Coventry, I fully expect the combination of venue - furniture supplier - caterers - Misc. suppliers/contractors will have altered. Some will have gone bust and the logistics will need re-establishing. So where exactly in The Midlands is an unknown.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

jimmycowman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:36 pm Your last chance to become a Founder Member for LIFETIME SAVINGS!.......... . With statements like that it doesn't look good for the return of elephant house normal auctions... 🙄
A lot will ride on the success of the new service and people subscribing and staying subscribed. Steve puts a lot of time and effort into multiple video streams every week, carefully put together good quality videos for every item listed, as well as having written and maintaining the code of his website.........

I suspect there is room for both entities, just the monthly sale may not happen again......in someways this is good for me as I use to drive every time to the midlands and only buy something one in 4 or 5 trips, was getting expensive on time and fuel. Now only online, my purchases will be targeted to what I really want and not just hoping to pickup something on the day........

The social is a big loss and as I have said many times, still not a fan of blind auctions as there is not such thing as the right price.......
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Don't you think if you want to buy something on the new site you have to be a seller and a buyer at the same time naming a price out of the air? Not knowing what price your bidding against? Not just looked at the detail but is there a guide price (ball park) that you put your one and only top bid on??
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

jimmycowman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:47 pm Don't you think if you want to buy something on the new site you have to be a seller and a buyer at the same time naming a price out of the air? Not knowing what price your bidding against? Not just looked at the detail but is there a guide price (ball park) that you put your one and only top bid on??
Steve has linked old prices of similar machines where that exists to the listings, so you can see as a guide. Obviously prices vary hugely as well as condition. So it really comes down to how much you want a machine. By hiding what some else may have bid below you means you will never know if you wildly paid over the top, which most people would be worried about. Secondly if you bid £2111 for a rare machine and someone beat you by a pound you would be seriously pissed and the answer, well you should of bid more does not wash as you don’t get a chance. So in someways bad for buyer and seller.

It is what it is and I am sure based on success or feedback from more people it may change, but others may like blind bids........

I did tell Steve he should get up front from sellers what the minimum price they would accept, to ensure he does not get chancers sticking machines in that would never reach their price, I am sure he may review this if too many machines don’t sell, it is a waste of his time and downgrades the service. Only 6 out of 14 machines sold in last sale, and previous sale was a no reserve single owner lot.

Anyway, I think it is great someone has taken the time to set something up as we have nought until now since Nov 2019 !!THUMBSX2!! ......so I will use when I find time to dig out a few things and will continue to try and win things that I underbid on :lol:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I agree, it's not ideal, but better than nothing at all.
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

I agree with much that has been said ,i have bid on some and lost and have one one in the last sale.
Well done to Steve for trying some thing new and all the money and time its has taken.
Please every one if you think its not for you ,have a go yourself with a live auction some were ,i am sure we would all come and surport your event.
lets hope normal life will return before to long.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

so, i am an occasional buyer so am i understanding this correctly?
I have to pay a £10 monthly fee to make an offer on an item?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

clubconsoles wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:06 am so, i am an occasional buyer so am i understanding this correctly?
I have to pay a £10 monthly fee to make an offer on an item?
You do, but you don't have to continuously pay. If you don't want to buy anything for a few months, let your membership lapse, & start paying again next time you want to buy or sell.