EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: New Steve Hunt auctions

Post by badpenny »

It's difficult to comment on whether Steve's 10% commission is excessive and it's probably unfair to compare it before the event to the 6% that Jerry and I charge.
After all the commission charged dictates how much is directly available to invest in the resources provided on the day which all go to making it an enjoyable day.
Although Jerry and I charge less it also means that we can only supply a centrally heated venue, with clean warm toilets, all day refreshments, cheap food, comfy seating, professional auctioneers and a massive car park right outside the door.
We also like to ensure everything is legally licensed in order to safeguard everybody's money and investment thereby stopping any attempt by the authorities confiscating machines on the day. The cost of that detracts from how much we have to spend on the venue too.

Let's wait and see what Steve puts on in exchange for the extra 4% and the best of luck to him. !!CHEERS!!
mervyngoodhew

hunts auction

Post by mervyngoodhew »

If I had to wait as long for my cheque as I did for my magazine I would be a little bit worried.
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

Do I detect just an incy bit of irony BP or am I naive ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Neither irony nor sarcasm. The world is big enough for as many slot machine auctions as the hobby will support.
Just as the hobby is so small that we all keep bumping into each other enough to warrant it being essential to safeguard our reputations and value the trust we display every time we meet greet and do business together. :cool:
zippylad

Post by zippylad »

If i see the little s+@t i will be getting my £24 subscription money, either that or his machines will be coming with me !!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Apart from the odd comments above, anyone know if this is actually happening, given it is 10 days away and his site appears not to have changed.....
Also not sure if it is just me getting the errors in the first page of the Pennymachines site (usually is)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The errors are caused by a mistake in the HTML code pasted on it. Nursey was probably typing with her false nails on again.
Golden12

Post by Golden12 »

For anyone interested here are some of the results from the Elephant House auction today:
37 Kit Kat Vending Machine £16
38 Beechnut Vending Machine £16
44 Cigarette Vending Machine £26
46 Busy Badger Vending Machine £10
60 Ahrens Palmistry Machine £1000
61 Mills High Top Bandit £180
62 Mills Poinsettia Bandit £240
73 Bryans Bullion on 1D £480
74 Bryans Double Top £820
75 Bryans Payamid £950
78 Oliver Whales Pot Luck Allwin £300
79 Parkers Carousel Allwin £620
166 Penny Spin Bandit £90
167 Beatles Penny Pusher £190
170 Universal Feature Bell £40
171 Keeney Two Way Super Bell £140
172 Midway Whirlybird £320
173 Bally Sharp Shooter £380
174 Bryans Bullion on 1p £440
184 Pussy Shooter £150
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I went along, as well as a few others I recognized from the Coventry auction. I am sure if you were a crafty speculator, you could have bought a lot of general bric a brac for very little and resold it very quickly as some stuff was very cheap. Also a lot of the artwork seems reasonably priced.
I lost my sheet with the prices on for the machines, but I am sure they will be posted at some point. I am sure the BM co Art Deco machine was a low price around £440, as it was in great condition with a lovely oak finish. I think the Paymarid went for £950 and the Bryans Bullions fetched reasonable amounts, late £400s. There were a number of lots I wished I had gone for now, hey ho.....
As usual I bid on things I do not even look at and apart from a few bandits, I won a Chocolate Vending Machine I had only glanced at....£30 didn't seem a lot, but I did not realise how large it was and more worrying the weight. I am convinced this thing was twice the weight of a Mills Bandit and struggled to get it into my boot.
I am not really into vending machines, but on getting it home it turns out to be a German machine made in Berlin, but sold for the UK market in English on 6D. Even more interesting it is brand new, never used from what I can tell. Original receipt to a Vending Automatics in Llandundo in 1962. In the bottom are sealed paper bags of parts, cash trays and spares inserts and has original keys. Not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet, as my walls may not take the weight, but looks good.
Was not a bad day, apart from being cold.... Be interesting to see if there is enough interest to run again in three months.
Attachments
CIMG1654.JPG
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes, I went along and saw a few faces from Coventry (auction, not just Coventry) and came away with the BM co. Art Deco machine. I wasn't going to bid but Mrs Cowman liked the look of it and bid and won it. I bid on a K6 telephone box that made £270 that I thought was cheap. I would have gone more but we only went in a Fiesta car and it would have meant going back with a van, so I left it. The Elephant House should have been called the Ice House; it was bl**dy cold.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Well, I guess some got time off to attend todays auction. So I wondered if anyone wants to venture a report. I was wondering what the double decker, stereoviewer and matthesons machine went for...and really anything else for that matter.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

May have got one or two slightly wrong....

Lot 58 Crane 750
Lot 60 Ahrens Stereoscope 640
Lot 65 R&W Hockey 180
Lot 81 Bryans Clock 320
Lot 82 Payaramid 800
Lot 83 Bryans Double Decker 900
Lot 91 Bryans Bullion 1D 440
Lot 92 Bryans Fivewin 380
Lot 93 Bryans Double Top 840
Lot 94 Bryans Ant Viewer 180
Lot 101 Bryans Clock (imcom) 140
Lot 102 Whale Kiss-o-meter 320
Lot 103 FRog fortune teller 220
Lot 104 Bryans Bullion 1p 200
Lot 105 Football Allwin 200
Lot 106 Hawtins Allwin 320
Lot 107 Ultra slot machine 50
Lot 160A Mills Poinsetta No sale
Lot 191 R&W Yours to be won 400
Lot 192 Allwin deluxe 200
Lot 193 Big Top slot machine 140
Lot 194 Beromat No sale
Lot 195 Hawtins ciggie 195
Lot 204 Firmans Bandit 340
Lot 206 Jennings Victoria 380
Lot 213 Push em off - pusher 180
Lot 214 Easy push - pusher 220
Lot 218 Matthewson footballers 3400 (Star lot)
Lot 230 Furtune teller 160
Lot 231 Greyhound slot 400
Lot 232 Olly whales gift 320
Lot 238 Rolld down skill game 200
Lot 239 Samson Grip tester 210
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Thanks for posting that Tree frog. If that lot did sell, the prices were pretty good for some buyers. :!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

To be honest, some machines were rough or needed restoration or had had restoration. E.g. the Fivewin was a mess, I can only assume it was some kind of rare version with the price it raised. The Hawtins needed restoration......The two Bryans Bullions both had very very fresh paint, the lower priced one, was slightly incomplete...The Double Decker looked nice !!THUMBSX2!!

The Automatic Sports company machine must be rare, the ones in cast iron casings fetch a fortune... it looked good and original.

The main thing I was happy with was the St Leonards Palace Pier enamel sign.... :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Just seen the Double Decker on Melrights site for £2750........a nice £1800 profit if achieved......I wonder how much of this stuff will end up being resold on within the next few days.....
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

tree-frog wrote:Just seen the Double Decker on Melrights site for £2750........a nice £1800 profit if achieved......I wonder how much of this stuff will end up being resold on within the next few days.....
Could always be that it was entered in the auction, didn't sell and the seller is now looking to sell it elsewhere. Who knows what's going on sometimes !PUZZLED! Equally, it may indeed be that the buyer is looking to make a NICE profit.
funky

Post by funky »

I see there a Byrans Ant Viewer on ebay. I'm guessing that this must be the same one?....I must decide to have a look at the next auction when it comes round and the Coventry one I hear a few people chat about. When is the next Coventry auction? Thanks !!CHEERS!!
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

The next Coventry auction is provisionally set for Sunday 27th November. It's definately the established slot auction to attend. If you haven't been to one of these auctions there's a fair old spead of machines from all era's, from unrestored to restored condition. Basically, it's run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. So, I think you would enjoy the day and hopefully find something to suit.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Slot machine hammer prices and pictures from the March and June Elephant House auctions are now in the Arena.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Looking at the prices you have posted against the value they attained above in the auction, quite a few did not make the reserve. What is interesting is I am sure they did not state this during the auction. Most auction houses usually make it clear at the time an item has not sold...
I notice a number of these have ended up on ebay recently and selling for the same as they reached in the auction, including the 5 win. There is a Bryans Clock on ebay now that was at the auction...