More bloody stupid ebay rules

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Re: More bloody stupid ebay rules

Post by coppinpr »

Another thing no one mentioned (this time) is Ebays fees,which(if I remember correctly) were much lower when I joined 20 years ago, Now (if you get paid through paypal,(which was owned by Paypal but isint now)which ,even if you ask to be paid on collection usually gets paid by paypal anyway) is 13.4%+20p(inc paypal fees) capped at £250!!
:#:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Just don’t use eBay to sell machines, I never have ;-)
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

treefrog wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 pm Just don’t use eBay to sell machines, I never have ;-)
thats because you dont sell any !!ESCAPE!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't like to use ebay for machines (I do for some small business I run) I do sometimes use it for machines. In fact I did this week and it worked out well.

The problem for a lot of us who are involved in slots to a lesser degree than the big movers like MrP., TF and BP is we don't have the wide network of interested collectors and as many other options as they do (perhaps simply because we don't know of them).
I go to Coventry (where prices have decreased for standard items like the bandits I like). I've tried selling on this site (with no success) and my own site (with limited success). I've avoided EH so far but might change my mind about that, I don't even know if there are sellers fees at EH? I'm getting to know more collectors but it's a slow process mostly based on meeting people who buy or sell me machines.
Ebay is getting close to being unusable for slot related items it's true, although it's cheaper than some auction rooms.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

5% sellers fees at elephant
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Interesting.
The next Coventry Auction November 26th is 0% vendor's commission.

However seeing as we announced 12 years ago that The Coventry Auction would always be the last Sunday in November and others (perhaps I mean other) has twice now planned to clash with us, I do wonder how long before EH thinks that's a good idea and follows suit?

BP :lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The next Coventry Auction November 26th is 0% vendor's commission.
did I miss something earlier or is this the first time its been announced that the sellers fee at Coventry will drop to 0% this year?
Surely this is something that should be trumpeted from the highest hill (EH would) not slipped into a post on a different subject.

By the way when do we start entering lots? or did I miss that too :lol:
larry_d

Post by larry_d »

Selling in general auctions such as auction houses listed on the saleroom are no better. I recently sold a slot machine in Sheffield Auction Gallery and on their internet link achieved a bid of £250 which was OK ish but you have to wait up to a month to be paid which it was, and the deduction was over £60. By the time I had worked out the fuel to take the machine there, it made me wonder if it was all worth it! :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting advert for a Jennings Galaxy on Ebay and only about £500 over priced. The thing is, if you're going to forge a selling permit and photograph it at least make a good job of it. :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112594047660?rmvSB=true
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

With my eyes I cannot even make out the permit number....

..................................never mind any alleged discrepancies?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:22 pm ...the big movers like MrP., TF and BP...
"Big knobs" is the official coin-op collector parlance, but I'm afraid I've never been honoured with that title. I was quite active in the past but have bought few machines in recent years, firstly, because the items I seek rarely come up; secondly, I have no room left, and thirdly, prices seem too high now. I think TF has also had to slow down, especially with recent bandit prices. BP can speak for himself.

Years ago I successfully sold some machines on eBay when their fees were much lower and I've bought maybe a dozen games on eBay (some from the States), but not in recent years. Mostly it has been 'bricks and mortar' auctions and networking with other collectors. Doing exchanges or part exchanges is obviously very attractive because it avoids external fees, but can only be achieved when both collectors have what the other wants and can agree on the relative values. I believe quite a bit of this kind of networking goes on behind the scenes on this website.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This knob has never been known for being big ...... gob? Very likely, but that's about it.

I have bought from eBay, but as I refuse to commit to spending hundreds without seeing and have no intention of paying in order to achieve that ..... that's me finished.

I'm currently going through a downsizing phase. I do it every few years, generally going back to my roots, machines that hypnotised me as a child, bandits, Payramid, Slick, an allwin or two, pinball the rest I'll move on. If I don't play it anymore I get bored seeing it around, how often can you get excited playing your Bumper or Oddclod?

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

badpenny wrote:I'm currently going through a downsizing phase.
At first I thought the above was part of the sentence above it about big knobs.

then I realized your talking about machines,so we can expect some of your machines for sale at www.penny-machines.info ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

An announcement regarding this year's Coventry Auction is imminent. :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Maybe you need to create the 2017 Coventry thread ;-)

So sellers fees are 0%, that’s good........what are the buyers fees?

Looking forward to the big news |/XX\|
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As per the last 11 years or is it 12? The announcement will appear under the Coventry Auction Thread which is under Auctions in the forum list.
This will coincide with all of the details and requirements appearing on the auction website.

Be prepared for a big announcement this year in recognition of it being our 11th or perhaps 12th year at Coventry. We shall be doing something totally original and captivating along the theme of a cup cake dowsed in petrol, set alight and chucked in the bin.
You all can then choose which of us two climbs up a ladder onto the roof of the Social Club and attempts to saw his head off with a grinder.
However we draw the line at asking you to pee in a bucket in the corner or freezing to death, sorry about that I guess we're just not that dedicated to the cause or to your comfort.

Vendor's commission will be 0% and buyer's 10% however the down side is that I shall not be picking up irreplaceable pieces of history in order to wave them around hap hazardly so as to insult your intelligence regarding what a particular machine looks like.
We shall of course arrange for the dancing girls and pole dancers to do their stuff, sadly The Dagenham Girls Pipers this year will be in Dagenham.

We're already starting the listings this year with over 2 dozen machines but sadly we're devoid of Di & Charles tin trays and we can't find any waste bins in the shape of Freddy the Frog for love nor money.
I can only guess somebody else has that market cornered. Just our luck! |/XX\|
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 pm
badpenny wrote:I'm currently going through a downsizing phase.
At first I thought the above was part of the sentence above it about big knobs.

then I realized your talking about machines,so we can expect some of your machines for sale at www.penny-machines.info ?
Hey, Paul, you getting your websites confused?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

sorry, slip of the auto fill button, should read www.penny-arcade.info :woops:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No Paul, I don't see the relevance of a link to The Penny Arcade site. !PUZZLED!
JC

Post by JC »

Interesting advert for a Jennings Galaxy on Ebay and only about £500 over priced. The thing is, if you're going to forge a selling permit and photograph it at least make a good job of it. :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112594047660?rmvSB=true
So what's wrong with the permit? OK, the Galaxy may be grossly over-priced, but I believe this is a reputable seller. Accusations of forging a permit seem unfounded, unless I'm missing something here?