Canterbury Auction Galleries sale 5-6 Feb

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Canterbury Auction Galleries sale 5-6 Feb

Post by pennymachines »

JC wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:04 am It really is a pity that this 'keen' collector doesn't seem to be inclined to share this information :#:
I'm surprised you say that JC. Have you asked him? If you supply him with a serial number I believe he's quite happy to look it up and give you the details. He has for others, although I've never got around to requesting it on my machines. Unfortunately, although he's registered as a member of the site, I don't think he visits.

Although it's true the serial numbers started at 101, I can't believe there were another 105 Payramids made after this one because the rate of production was so low by this time. I guess the only way to find out is to ask our friend...
JC

Post by JC »

I'm surprised you say that JC.
OK, perhaps I could have worded that better. I too am aware of collectors to whom he has supplied information, and I have no reason to believe he sits on this unique resource for his own self-interest. However, although you and I know who he is, I suspect for vast majority of users of this site won't. Perhaps you could approach him and see if he'd be prepared to post it in resources?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'll run the idea past him next time we speak (which isn't often), but would understand if he didn't want to publish it. Besides, I assume it's quite a thick book with many pages?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

pennymachines wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm I'll run the idea past him next time we speak (which isn't often), but would understand if he didn't want to publish it. Besides, I assume it's quite a thick book with many pages?
It’s certainly true, you need to be in the know ;-) I’m certainly not :#:

Interesting though, does this ledger cover all machines and back to the start of the company or is it limited. I could imagine this could be a valued service for people to attach history to their machine.... !!THUMBSX2!!
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

I am in contact with the collector. However he did pay to obtain the ledgers so as for posting it for free.... you have to ask would you. He bought them in the '80s and they weren't cheap then. Maybe if we had a whip around or someone offered to buy them or a copy from him to cover the investment he would consider the idea.

He will or did provide the information on the serial numbers, however imagine how many requests he would receive now we have the power of the Internet. It would be non stop.

The ledger includes....
The serial number.
The coin
The manufacturer date
The company\purchaser
If it had been back for repair or decimalisation.

As far as I'm aware it covered almost all the machines. I'm pretty sure it didn't cover certain models.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suppose what is the point in having this type of information if not for the benefit of the hobby, eg history and information. I guess we all put value to things as you say, especially given investment. I do think not all, but many, would love to know the history of their machine. If he is not willing to, perhaps he could pass on to someone who was willing to provide a service, say £4 per machine for their history and no fee if not registered and split the fee......or, as you say, take a fee for a copy of ledger to be posted on the site....

Any bumpers on there :cool:

We live in hope |/XX\|
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

Sure for a small few it might be worth while. He's a great guy but when you have a lot of money tied in the bible of Bryans machines I personally would want to at least break even before listing the information. As once it is out there the price of the original would be wiped out. After all its only paper.

The reason the bible isn't complete was due to the fire at the Bryans factory. Some of it was destroyed but the vast majority of it remains.

As for the bumper..... that's a good genuine question !PUZZLED!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Any prices yet?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Posted in the Arena on the day of the sale.
Also available on Canterbury Auctions' results page.
frayle

Post by frayle »

This background information to any particular Bryan's machine I would find hugely interesting to have - to know the provenance of a machine would add much to its general value and desirability I think.
I would be happy to pay between £5 - £10 per machine for the relevant info, perhaps with a discount for several requests?
If the owner had the presence to obtain the 'bible' in the first place then he deserves a return of some sort.
In another collecting field a collector in a similar position used to charge a fee and give a proportion of it to his favourite charity. Seemed to work well.