Space Flight Beromat

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Space Flight Beromat

Post by treefrog »

I like variants on the standard Beromat theme and assume the below a Space theme version is a British conversion, it has a Ruffler & Walker badge on it. I have never seen this type and really like it. Anyone seen one before (Harold)......Shame so many of these machines ended up in the states as most (excluding our regular cousins on this site of course) have no idea what they have.....Strange looking spaceship though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1950s-Germ ... 415e0ef567
Attachments
space-flight1.jpg
space-flight2.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Space Beromat

Post by badpenny »

I've seen one before on eBay UK I did bid for it but it went for more than I wanted to pay. I don't know if I had any evidence to think so, but I believed that its format was original GW.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Definitely a British conversion as I've had one and know it well. The cabinet was veneered under the laminex exterior and the coin entry is cast for Penny play. Found mine in the states too!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

heres a picture of mine
Attachments
CIMG0407.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nice example Dave. I'll have one some day. That front casting is so ugly it's beautiful, not unlike myself!
jra

Post by jra »

I have had one of these in my collection for the past 10 or 12 years. I bought it at one of Steve Hunt's auctions in Cambridge. I cannot remember what I paid for it but I was quite pleased to see the price it realised in the States. For what it's worth, I think it was supposed to represent a Sputnik.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

blimey, it made 1691$ :shock:
JC

Post by JC »

For all those who have been drooling over that rough example sold in the States, take a look at this! One of the lots entered in the Coventry auction.
Just one reason why you won't want to miss the biggest and best slottie event in the year.
Attachments
Coventry 2011 Space Flight.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

One in the Coventry auction, hmm? I may have to come over and bid. I'll probably get it for a carton of cigarettes and a few pairs of nylons, you Brits being so impoverished by your austerity government, then I can take it back to the States with me and sell it for $$$. :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It has just been pointed out to me by one of our honourable membership who often watches my back for me, of your intentions.
Whereas there are long memories over here of the effects experienced in this country in the 1940s by The Yanks bearing nylons etc., I for one care not a jot as I have a list of women I'd be quite happy for you to drag off back to the land of The Free. I may even be prepared to bung you a wedge so long as you can promise them an uncomfortable and neglected future .

However when it comes to our machines, think again! !!MUPPET!!
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I have a list of women I'd be quite happy for you to drag off back to the land of The Free.
An interesting proposition, Mr Badpenny, but one I must regrettably decline. They would not find America to be a purgatory, but a training opportunity against cutthroat competition from their own kind, some of whom took chunks out of me.

I do have a recommendation for you, which is to look to the East.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Scunthorpe?
bartleeto

Space Flight Beromat

Post by bartleeto »

Post copied, split & moved & merged from Introductions - Site Admin.

Hello, just joined this website so introducing myself. I am 57 male living in Teignmouth, ex armed forces, like all things mechanical. Used to restore vintage motorcycles but it's all got a bit silly with stupid money now. Very much into 1950s and always wanted a fruit machine. Stayed away from electrical ones as not my area so happy to buy just mechanical. Took the plunge last week on fleabay and bought a Beromat, Space Flight for £187. Cabinet is toast, full of woodworm, active, and the Formica is bust. Supplied by Ruffler and Walker and reading some posts on this website it was the normal Germany export thing as wood underneath is nicely veneered etc. Mechanism is all there and accepting old pennies. Read about pot metal and saw it for myself in that the mech arm has sheared off at the end where the pawl is located. The guide above it has metal fatigue also. Can I fix this with metal epoxy? It's not something I can weld and is under a lot of stress so would epoxy do it or do I need a replacement? Still chuffed with it and it's so ugly it's cool. All the front castings are sound, reels will need re printing and obviously a new cabinet. It's going to be a wall queen but I do like things to work so any advise about mech arm would be appreciated. Feel free to comment on my purchase, insult me if you think I paid too much, wife hates it, but I hope to accumulate a couple more as I find them fascinating. Love the website and all the historical and nostalgic info. Tony
treefrog

Space Flight Beromat

Post by treefrog »

Welcome to the site,

You almost had more competition on this, but I could not justify the drive to Devon. Of all the Beromats, this model is by far the most desirable and valuable. Most I have seen over the years sell for more than £400.

Spares are easy for these as lots around, I have crates of them for these machines. In terms of cabinet, is the front really shot, as the back would be possibile to replace off a lesser machine and would be nice to keep original, of course in my opinion. Shame about the broken Formica, as I think they look better with this finish than boring wood, especially with the space ship theme....

Share some piccies of broken part.
Attachments
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
treefrog

Re: new member , space flight beromat

Post by treefrog »

Just to add, apart from the cabinet, I also prefer the casting plain metal, again a matter of opinion. Yours looks great, see below others later updated painted etc. and some originals. The one in the arcade looks unpainted to me...
Attachments
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
Last edited by treefrog on Thu May 04, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Looking closely at that great old black & white photo it looks painted to me with the lettering polished, just as mine was, painted in hammerite paint. Definitely looked original on mine so left it be. And looking at the top photos that machine looks to be painted in silver hammerite with the high points polished as per normal.
Attachments
space flight front_4_1.jpg
space flight rhd_1_1.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You're probably right Gameswat, as all, apart from one, look to have original paint, but plain metal looks good as well.

One thing to avoid is the overpaint like the Carter's one at the Elephant below...

Your one looks great !!THUMBSX2!! One day I will get one when the right one turns up.
Attachments
IMG_0448.JPG
bartleeto

Re: New member, Space Flight Beromat

Post by bartleeto »

Hello, yes Devon is a long way for a lot of people and adds to cost. I thought I got it cheap but the listing wasn't the best advert in terms of pictures or keywords. As I am a novice and this is my first machine I will have a look at more examples and see what I think. Not in any rush and and don't want to cock it up appearance wise. The wood cabinet is really shot, woodworm have made the bottom dust and beyond repair. My next door neighbour has a lovely piece of ash that will do the job and he's a carpenter! But the Formica option appeals, maybe in yellow. The one overpainted black at Carter's is not my style but I like the bronze ? looking one. We shall see, first I must sort out the mech arm, the fatigue is similar to some '40s metal toys I have seen. I have posted an ad in Wanted and if anyone has one to sell please let me know I am old enough to remember life before the interweb and thinks these websites/forums are marvellous and a great help to beginners like myself. T
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi bartleeto .....

If you post photos of the break we might be able to suggest something ..... no promises !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Case is not a hard build especially if your going the formica way, if you really have to have new reel strips I can make them for you !THUMBS!