Twelve win clock gears

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ninecup

Twelve win clock gears

Post by ninecup »

Hi. I need some help please on replacing and repairing some twelve win clock gears. The first picture I obtained from the forum and the second picture shows one broken hand and some damaged teeth on one cog. I do not have the cog or the bracket as in the first picture. Has anyone got a more detailed picture of this assembly? Or even better some spare parts.
Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to make or repair these parts. Maybe a clock maker could help if I had some better pictures of the parts required. Would be most grateful for any help.
clockmech.jpg

clock-gears-a.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Twelve win clock gears

Post by badpenny »

I should think the minute hand could be brazed back on, however it would be pointless if those missing teeth are making the wheel slip.

Ideally you want a replacement although who would have one is anyone's guess.

If it were mine I'd attempt brazing a lump where the missing teeth are .... errr ... aren't and then waste several days with swiss files and maybe this website ......
http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html
.... in an attempt to shape replacements. After which I'd get pissed off and finish the fiddly bits with a lump hammer.

BP !PUNISH!
ninecup

Post by ninecup »

Thanks for that Bad penny. The trouble is the gears and bracket that are missing. I have no idea what they look like. I think the hands are a bit of a botch job. The minute hand is just straight and not much shorter than the hour hand. Looks as though I need a new pair of hands as well. :!?!:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Ninecup, are these any good to you?
Attachments
CLOCK4-003.jpg
CLOCK4-002.jpg
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

As regard the broken hand, I have had some success with 'JB Weld'-it can stick thin metal end to end pretty well.
ninecup

Post by ninecup »

Thank you so much for that. I can see from your pictures that I have quite a a few pieces missing. A bit of challenge me thinks. !PUZZLED!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

You're welcome, good luck with it.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Ninecup, this option might sound crazy to you but....as I live in the ends of the earth and love an incomplete project, I often buy doubles with different issues, then use the two or three as patterns to make all the examples complete. Even if you only break even selling on the extra machine it will allow you to restore the other the best way possible. Pity you don't know anybody with a clock to borrow. I have a rough one sitting here........... :-(
ninecup

Post by ninecup »

I think maybe you're right Gameswat. Looking out for another machine might be the answer. I will at least then have something to copy. Does anyone know of any tatty Bryans Clocks coming up for sale? I can't see me passing Perth at the moment to take a look at yours. :#: