Sega Bell

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
dutchboy

Sega Bell

Post by dutchboy »

Morning everyone.
I did buy yesterday this Sega Bell in a weak moment. The price was only about 40 pounds. It is missing the escalator, coin tube and overflow. Do you think that the parts will be easy available? If so, then I will put an advert in the Market. The mech is Mills, I think, playing on old penny. There's a a stamp on the frame saying FOK. There were e few coins, even one from 1903 in the cashbox. I'm not an engineer and learning by just starting the job, so any advice is welcome. If needed, I will post some more pictures for details.
Thanks, dutchboy.
Attachments
sega-bell.jpg
sega-bell2.jpg
sega-bell3.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Sega bell

Post by badpenny »

You did well there for £40 ... chances are the cash box is worth that.
As to whether it's Sega or Mills, purists can get twitchy, I don't. As a child working in my Uncle's arcade we'd pull all the mechs out of the cases at the end of the season, spend Winter oiling and fiddling the payouts before shoving them back into whichever case was closest.

I'm sure you know Mills and Sega are interchangeable.
You say it's on old Penny. Then it's unlikely to have had a JP, an escalator? perhaps, but again rare.
It was probably converted over here, escalators modified to take something as big as an old penny are rare to find let alone make or bodge.

Likewise JPs tend to get jammed if you try to feed them old pennies.
In most cases the tin work inside to transport coins from entry to mech (incorporating a slug detector) would likely to have been soldered up in the back of the arcade (my Uncle's job).
The payout tube is easily made from tubing with the same internal diameter as 1d.
The overflow tube is another soldering jobby. I may have one behind the clock on the mantelpiece.
The slides look ok from your photo?

The escalator window would often have a bit of mirror shoved in it and the JP window would sport some garish notice falsely claiming obscene amounts of money for an impossible combination on the winning line.

However if you're going the purist route, well then it's a totally different job, plus you've got the Sega-V-Mills issue.
Could get expensive, not to mention fiddly.

BP
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Many thanks for the quick response and info bp! The window for the escalator has no mirror but glass so that's why i was thinking that it's used one. I hope the slides are ok because i dont know in which order they must be placed. I'm learning all the time, even the english language. Sometimes i need google to translate. Now i have to run to work and want to put an advert in the market maybe this evening.
Thanks again, dutchboy !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi ... As I said " As a child working in my Uncle's arcade we'd pull all the mechs out of the cases at the end of the season, spend Winter oiling and fiddling the payouts before shoving them back into whichever case was closest."

So you're probably looking at a mechanism and a case that didn't live together originally. I was describing what we would do to get a machine earning money, often using what we had available.
I would suspect you've bought somebody's failed project .... failed when they realised the issues you're facing now.

BP
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

The Sega version supplied in England on old penny would usually have looked something like this......
SV102884.JPG

with a Copper Sega name-badge due to old pennies.
You can see the move-along escalator in the pictures.
As BP says, it's hard to source and expensive to buy. As major parts you have already were not expensive at £40, it makes the buying of replacement original parts a more acceptable/sensible option.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Badpenny/aristomatic, that would be something that escalator. It looks great! I will try in the market, if not than maybe an alternative tube? Badpenny, interesting that soldered overflow behind that mantelpiece. (I will put it also in the market)
No sir, it wasn't a failled project. The older people who owned it were moving and owned it for about 35 years. The lady told me if the machine was stuck she throws some coca cola over the mech till it will work again !PUZZLED!
Now i'm start working at the advert.

Greetings!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Coca Cola might be the cause of the problem.
I once saw inside an electronic AWP that had been given a generous slug of Coke.
It looked like liquid rubber had been spilt all over it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Actually ..... I just realised dutchboy might not be helped by my chuntering in colloquial English as he mentioned sometimes using Google to translate.
So I've just taken my post above and translated it into Dutch, then to make sure it was still accurate I translated it back into English .......

Coca - Cola causal problem .
I saw that there -zelaia Royale Coca - Cola E get AWP .
To fluidal rubber stuffed , when they went to view it sloppiness .

So ...... I'm glad we sorted that one out and no mistake.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You are highly unlikely to get an escalator like the one Aristocrat has shown, as it's rare and in demand. There are lots of the roll-down escalators available, often on ebay, but one was sold by our "slottie" spares seller from Norfolk - Roger. Well in fact it didn't get a bid at £5, so if you're happy with that type, they are cheap and work well.

A mechanism like yours sold at the Elephant sale yesterday for £45, so you got a bargain. Not sure if Roger's contact details are on this site, but I know they are in the MMM magazine. He will have all the parts. you need, in fact I suspect he will have the same parts in this weekend auction at Coventry.

The other part that is tough to get and will cost, if it did not come with the machine, is the back door.
aristomatic

Re: Sega Bell

Post by aristomatic »

A word of warning too... just because an escalator is advertised as English old penny, it doesn't mean that it will 100% fit your casting set, without it requiring some change to the coin entry positioning, see pictures.
SV105601a.jpg

The one at the bottom would fit your top front (Sega) casting. The top one is off US Mills Hitop & coin entry position is different.

GP
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Mr badpenny, that's what I will call empathic ability! Thanks all for the info. I will sort it out. Sometimes we want to have what we can't get. Mr treefrog, yes indeed it did come with the back door! So I'm still very happy with the machine and now have to find the hours to work at it.
I'm grateful for your help. !!THUMBSX2!!
Dutchboy
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

They are interesting, will have to get some of my spares out to compare them. The top one looks like a modified fish mouth escalator, which does protrude out and is different in shape.

By the way Aristo, that's not the Copper Sega escalator from the machine you sold me ;-) ......soooo rare these and never come up for sale....
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Mills 50 cent options, with differing coin entry positions.
Attachments
mills502.jpg
mills501.jpg
mills501.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

TF, I have no idea, but I picked up a Copper Sega, with another 12 machines at Tennants many years back and decided I would keep one and that was the Copper Sega missing a few bits including the escalator, (had rolldown). It's now complete but I don't have any pictures since completed. I also bought another in the last 12 months off a member here

GP

The picture inside will give dutchboy an idea of what the simple rolldown looks like too, so I hope that helps.
Attachments
workshopslots-038a.jpg
workshopslots2-014a.jpg
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

dutchboy wrote:Badpenny/aristomatic, that would be something that escalator. It looks great! I will try in the market, if not than maybe an alternative tube? Badpenny, interesting that soldered overflow behind that mantelpiece. (I will put it also in the market)
No sir, it wasn't a failled project. The older people who owned it were moving and owned it for about 35 years. The lady told me if the machine was stuck she throws some coca cola over the mech till it will work again !PUZZLED!
Now i'm start working at the advert.

Greetings!
The usual Great British cure is if it doesn't behave, then you hit it with something. When I was a child, that was the treatment I had! As for the escalator, many machines lost them in 1971 when the decimal coinage arrived. The Shefras "bent coin rejector" was substituted and, although it did not appear so attractive, it rarely jammed up.
jelly works

Post by jelly works »

Hello, I’ve recently purchases this Mills one arm bandit from auction thinking it’s just another standard machine, but reading through this forum I may have got myself quite a rare machine?
It has a Mills mechanism on old penny play with the escalator but no jackpot, would the escalator been fitted at the Mills factory or fitted at a later date?
By the look of it, it has not seen the light of day for over 30 years, and need of a complete overhaul.
Any comments would be gratefully received.
Slot-machine-002a.jpg

Slot-machine-005a.jpg

Slot-machine-009a.jpg

Slot-machine-014a.jpg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Welcome Jelly,

Looks like a good project to start with. In terms of rare, I assume you refer to the 1D escalator where yours has the coins going across the front window, which is certainly less common, as most 1D conversions had the nasty drop escalator in the previous post or they modified the Mills original. Yours is also a modification to the original Mills, where the two coin slides on the rear have R&W on them (for Ruffler and Walker). These appear to have a single tooth to push all the other coins along, which is why they are all bunched up. I guess they had these made for the purpose and must have worked, as roll down modifications were made for reliability...

Does it work? Also, is it an oak cabinet under the Formicaa? If so, great... Also, do you have the back door (difficult to get hold of)?

Ask any questions if you need help, !!THUMBSX2!!
jelly works

Post by jelly works »

Thanks treefrog,
It works OK but is missing two springs on the payout fingers. The cabinet is chipboard under the Formica. I have the back door and also the cash box.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

I'm jealous about some parts i see!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm jealous about some parts
Dutch boy,
I might have a "roll down" type escalator for a 1d sega if your still struggling to find something. PM me if your interested