Bonanza Star jigsaw puzzle

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bod

Bonanza Star jigsaw puzzle

Post by bod »

I bought a Sega Bonanza Star some months ago, rather on trust as is came as an empty case and a cardboard box full of parts. However, rummaging through the box, I reckoned I had most of the bits I thought were needed so I set about rebuilding the machine.

I've had a reasonable amount of success, in that I now have a resprayed case with a new plywood base, and a mechamism that seems to spin and pay out correctly.

So - what is the problem you may ask? Well I have two actually.

The first is that I haven't refitted the lighting unit and fluorescent tubes because I'm not sure where the tubes all go. I know one goes in the top box and I've identified that one, but I have 4 more tubes that locate in the main case. Anyone able to post me a pic with a mech removed so I can see exactly where the tube plugs locate?

The second problem is the curse of the jigsaw in reverse. Instead of finding that I have a piece missing, I have 3 bits left over! These bits all have part numbers, and in decreasing order of size they are - 2BU21041 (a shaped plate), 9AY-20504 (a mounting bracket) and 2EB-21032 (a small plate). Can anyone tell me if these are parts for my machine (or just extra bits chucked into the cardboard box), and if so where they attach?

Thanks, Bod
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Bonanza Star jigsaw puzzle

Post by badpenny »

T'would probably help identification if you showed us a photo of them - bet you didn't expect me to say that!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Ive never once put a machine back together and not had parts left over :!?!:

dont have Boz star at the moment but im sure there are tubes above and below the reel window held in by(I think) the screws that hold the window divider and,possibility)more than one tube in the top box
bod

Post by bod »

Oh, OK Mr Badpenny if you really think that a photo will enable you to tell me where these parts go...
Personally I doubt it, but here is the photo.
SAM_0326.JPG

So, where do you think these tubes fit in the case then?
:lol:

Bet you didn't expect me to say that!

Bod
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The middle one fits in the Top Box, the bottom one goes above the reels and the top one goes under the reels .......

bod

Post by bod »

Aha! Clearly wrong, as in fact I have already identified the tube for the top box and installed same in position before taking the photo above. Also I have 4 tubes remaining although I only photographed 3 as one is broken (I'm so sneaky). I think 1 might fit just above the jackpot unit, one definitely goes behind the award glass, maybe I can see where 1 could go below the reels window but I'm buggered if I can find a mounting for the last one. Above the reels window is the escalator which might be a candidate for illumination, but I've no idea where the tube connectors would mount.

Which brings me onto the 3 'spare' bits I have left over and which I know you really expected the photo of. One of these might be a mounting bracket for something.
SAM_0329.JPG

Any ideas about any of these?

I have one other bit left over, and it is a chute assembly with a sort of divert flap in it. I'm pretty sure this doesn't fit in my machine as there is nowhere for it to go, so perhaps these other plates are spurious too?

Bod
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

So, you'd toy with the sensibilities of an old man would you?

It's been a long time since I had one of these, but as I remember it there aren't complete brackets for these just a couple of sprung clips to hold each end of the tube and a small rubber plug for each set of pins.
I don't recognise the surplus bits. but that doesn't mean anything, I don't recognise the ugly old git in the mirror.

Everyone I've had the lighting board was (with the starters) attached to the inside of the case on the right-hand side, from the rear.
Is yours there?
If you remove the mech is there a vertical chute starting at the base of the escalator and running down to the payout tray? This takes the rejected coin and returns it.
If not that might be your other leftover bit.

BP
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hello
for the lights on your sega you will need 4 tubes the same length and
a short tube, does your machine have a sega escalator or a roll down
shefras one fitted. If it has a sega fitted the short tube fits onto a boss on
the bottom of the escalator,to illuminate the top of the reel glass.
the bracket should be on the wiring loom.

The three parts in the picture you posted are for your machine,
part 1 is a closing plate that fits behind the jackpot that covers the tube
that lights the jackpot glass.
Part 2 is a support arm for the jackpot fill tube, the tube is not just held
by the 2 screws on the jackpot body .
Part 3 is a strengthner that bolts onto the back bonnet, where the lock engages.

I have added two pictures of sega machines one is a bonanza star with jackpot,
the other is a bonus star without a jackpot. you can see the closing plate in the
middle of the picture, behind this is a tube. in the picture of the machine without the
jackpot fitted you can see the short tube loose on the bottom
of the machine

hope this helps

Andy
Attachments
sega2.jpg
sega1.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This the chute I was referring to ..............
sega2.jpg

bod

Post by bod »

Thanks - those pictures helped a great deal. They have even answered a question I didn't even quite ask. Yes BP, I had worked out and fitted the blue chute you highlighted, but I've just noticed from the photo my mystery chute is also part of my machine and fits on the left (somehow) circled in red on the picture below.
sega3.jpg
sega3.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 4045 times

It doesn't contain a divert flap as I thought, it seems to be a sort of escapement feature that only lets one coin pass when the lever is pushed. I was thrown off by the size of the chute, it is big enough to work with old pennies and 6d coins (that my machine takes) seem to pass right through. So my supplementary question therefore is what the hell does this chute do?

Thanks for clarifying the lighting arrangement Andy, I now realise I'm missing the shorter lighting tube (how much shorter is it?) and bracket to fit on my Sega escalator. I can see the single mounting hole at the bottom. I also see you hail from Sutton Coldfield - I grew up in Lichfield - small world.

Thanks for your help folks.
Bod
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The chute is a token vendor and would have had hand filled large tokens that were released on a special award, maybe yours would be on three stars. There should be a horizontal bar that would release it when the stop at the rear goes into the deep grooves in the reel discs
bod

Post by bod »

Really? :o How interesting. Now you have explained this, I can see I have the horizontal lever that would push the escapement to release a single token. However, what I don't seem to have are any slots cut into the perforated payout discs, the edges are a uniform sawtooth effect so as far as I can see that horizontal lever will always push to the same point. :NBG:

So now I'm !PUZZLED!
Either I have a non-original reel bundle that doesn't push the token dispenser, or I have a superfluous token chute that wasn't intended to work in this model. Since the award card makes no mention of tokens yet it includes the 'unusual' symbols on the reels (like * and £) I conclude that these match, and therefore the token chute is inoperative. I'm guessing at some point the reels and award card have been swapped out to stop having to fill up and deal in tokens. I have to say, the token chute location would make it a pig to fill, probably have to remove the mech to get at it.

However I guess I'll know whether the token chute works once I clean it up and fit it using the mounting bracket that I couldn't identify in my original post, but have now identified thanks to the photos. !!YABBADABBA!!
andy g

Post by andy g »

The short tube you need for the light above the reel glass is a 4 watt 6 inch tube.
And if I remember correctly, a 1/2 crown coin will fit the token vendor.

Andy
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Below is one of the original Sega Gold Awards, similar in size to the older Mills one's. Mentioned on a another thread a month back was a load of tokens someone was selling, I bought a few bags of these and there were over 40 Ruffler and Walker Token Bell Awards, same size and shape as the Mills and Sega one's, which I guess they produced as an alternative replacement
Attachments
Ipswich-20151126-00091.jpg
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Those tokens disappeared from the machines at much the same time as decimal coinage arrived. The Betting and Gaming act stated that all wins had to be paid by the machine. That outlawed machines such as the Sega Progressive Star (I have one) because the award was on a meter incrementing 1 unit every 20 spins. The win was actually stated as "100 coins plus meter reading" but it had to paid over the bar or by an attendant.

My Progressive came from a holiday camp on the Isle of Wight and only saw intensive use on summer evenings between May and early September. I paid £25 for it but that was a week's pay for me in those days!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

................... it still is for some of us these days!