Bell Fruit Three Penny Supreme

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
madmickshere

Re: Bell Fruit Three Penny Supreme

Post by madmickshere »

badpenny wrote:I have to ask, what is the other machine in your photo?
... If it turns out to be a gas meter mounted on a sewing machine treadle with a hat stretcher on the top, I shall immediately award myself ten points and have an early night.
Lol , you sort of got only one part partly right. Firstly you missed the Horse's Head, then it is a Post Office Franking Machine, sat on a Victorian Pub Table, with a Conformateur sitting on the top (yes that's the part you got right, sort of). It's for measuring the exact size of your head! So your'e OK and stay up late now.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Trust BP to be looking "outside the box"

I still think the other stars might be a black degrading into chrome. Also I've had several Bells and the surrounds at least are always black, plus the two lower stars are black which makes me think it's a degrade. We get a lot of this with certain colours while others never change. Let me know - I'll do what I can. If it's not right, I'll change it. If it IS a mirror finish, it's not going to be easy. If you look at the Brewery Belll I did (linked earlier in this thread), I used a glitter mirror spray on the top glass that worked very well, but that was to replace a similar glitter finish. A plain mirror finish, I dont know - anyone else know?
madmickshere

Post by madmickshere »

coppinpr wrote:I still think the other stars might be a black degrading into chrome.
Honestly, I've now stood staring at these for far too long and there is a clear difference between the black (which hasn't degraded) to the parts that I think are chrome and have degraded. I wish you could see them close. I'll go for the chrome, but I don't know how you will do that part white, as mentioned earlier, as the coin and winnings areas are also white.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Is this the red you want? This is still an early version, nowhere near cleaned up yet.

bell-top-glass-2cs.jpg
bell-top-glass-2cs.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 3641 times

I think what MrP is saying earlier is this isn't actually chrome but a true mirror finish, which is not doable in Photoshop. The best possible, if you want the mirror, is to leave the gaps clear and empty. This will mean leaving them white (not a problem) or removing the areas after it goes onto the glass, as you will need some sort of actual application to get the mirror. You need to decide if you want to risk this or go with another colour (green shamrocks perhaps). Advice from other members please.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

When I was on the Carters Sign Writing course at the beginning of the year, one of the employees there who does a lot of the artwork on the rides and trucks, showed me a piece of work he had done using guilding on the reverse of glass to create a sign written mirror. Very effective and probably a skill and method used for things like custom advertising many years ago.

I believe the process is called Verre Eglomise, where a gelatin paste is applied to the areas to create the mirror effect and applying the silver leaf over this. Once fully covered, gently burnish this to create a mirror finish. Artwork could be applied first before starting and then protecting the whole reverse with a layer of black paint......

I forgot to take a picture of the example he had done, but you would think it was real mirror plate.....
madmickshere

Post by madmickshere »

Sounds interesting and worth googling to find out more, many thanks.
coppinpr wrote:is this the red you want?
Yes that red is excellent, thanks.

I'm very happy to hear what others think, the shamrocks would probably look good in bright green.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Here is a test piece for green shamrocks.
Attachments
bell-top-glass-3s.jpg
bell-top-glass-3s.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
madmickshere

Post by madmickshere »

Green shamrocks are great, seeing as I seem to be making this my own and you're not happy with the chrome, can we then make the borders black, the shamrocks green and the threepenny bit gold on a white background (it was white anyway) but threepenny bits were never white in reality. I'm just not sure on the stars now, what do you think?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'll see what I can do with the coin. At the moment I've left it as is because of the fractures on it. I can't tell if they are part of the design (as this coin had a broken surface) or breaks in the paintwork. I won't work on it if it damages the logo as it's a great design point, not many 3d machines around. White is not really an option as when it's printed the printer will leave it blank. A bland colour like it has now might be best. If it was me I'd leave one shamrock black and the others green, the stars definitely black, but I'll do all the shamrocks green if you want (bear in mind it takes over an hour to do each one LOL). Is the green the correct one?
madmickshere

Post by madmickshere »

Crikey I didn't realise how long it took, I'm working on my car at the moment and getting nowhere, which is such a waste of time. The green is perfect though now I've seen it, they've all got to be green now, sorry. As for the colour where it was white before and now off white, I'm not really sure and I do understand what you are saying about the coin.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'll do the last shamrock when I can. I've taken the marks out of the coin, looks good, all the letters need to be edged next. The shamrock next to the coin had been applied slightly wrong at the factory so I corrected it. :lol:
Attachments
bell-top-glass-5a.jpg
bell-top-glass-5a.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
madmickshere

Post by madmickshere »

Bloody Hell it's looking amazing and you did the coin (which looks miles better even though you said you weren't doing it) - it's better than factory finish.
!!YIPPEE!! !!YIPPEE!! !!YIPPEE!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

it's better than factory finish
Not yet it's not. :D
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

An hour Coppin? Colour change should be really quick with something like the paint bucket tool on Adobe.
Attachments
bell-top-glass-5ba.jpg
bell-top-glass-5ba.jpg (14.28 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

not if the cracks in the paint cause the section tool to break all the fillable areas in to tiny sections,often a few pixels across, is there some reason why you always suggest Im doing things wrong on this site? please feel free to take over the job if you want to give the man the time and effot dirtdog
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:is there some reason why you always suggest Im doing things wrong on this site?
I guess your talking about the posts regarding the Jennings Penny Star? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5481&start=10
If I see things written here that I know are incorrect, or think could be incorrect then I'm going to speak up, doesn't matter who makes the claims if I think they're wrong. I did ask you for proof of your claims.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:not if the cracks in the paint cause the section tool to break all the fillable areas in to tiny sections,often a few pixels across
This is what the paint bucket tool excels at. All you need is a solid outline and then you can fill in the inside with any colour you want very quickly. There are multiple ways to get the same result but this tool is one of the few I bother with use as speeds up the process no end. I'm not saying there aren't jobs that don't take hours and hours, usually due to poor quality artwork in the beginning.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I guess your talking about the posts regarding the Jennings Penny Star
no Im actually talking about the last three years, but forget that its not important

what im saying is you cant get a solid outline over a large area on this piece,I do ,of course, use the "fill" tool combined with the selection tool to get a solid outline,because the paint has degraded to many colours and the flakes are so small its often necessary to flood fill very tiny areas,this takes time, then there is the even smaller areas the flood wont grab,plus the flakes of other colour paint that has migrated to the area your working on,then there is item outline which has degraded into a brown smudge and has to be re lined, you may well be able to do it in 5 mins,,,I cant, Like I said you want to do it,thats fine with me
madmickshere

Post by madmickshere »

I'd like to add I'm grateful either way, I've had the machine 10 years and it's stood in the corner most of that time with me wondering if I'd ever get it finished and within days of finding this site things are happening. Thanks to this forum, for all the input, the good work and what I've seen so far is amazing. !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I had nothing to do today so re-edged the letters and finished the top glass as far as I can. It's up to you now if you want to use it, it's in the site's Resources section both face up and flipped for printing. If you want me to look at the belly glass and no one wise comes forward let me know in two weeks time (I'm in Morocco and Sicily till then).
Attachments
bell-top-glass-7Aa.jpg
bell-top-glass-7Aa.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
bell-top-glass-7A-flipa.jpg
bell-top-glass-7A-flipa.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 2992 times