More bloody stupid ebay rules

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
widget2k4

More bloody stupid ebay rules

Post by widget2k4 »

Just got this message from ebay after trying to send someone a contact number for a courier who I use so they could get a quote. What is the ebay world coming to?
Please remove contact info. If you proceed, you’ll be charged a final value fee, even if the item does not actually sell. See Policy.
aristomatic

Re: More bloody stupid ebay rules

Post by aristomatic »

Yes EBay have eventually moved to try to significantly reduce losses incurred with sellers selling off eBay, when effectively using ebay as a free advertising site.

New user agreements are effective shortly and they have already started sending warnings out as the poster states.

So now any contact telephone numbers or email or any other construed contact details displayed anywhere in the listing (and that includes a pic of your contact details) will constitute policy violation.

They even state in the new user agreement that they can now not only automatically apply as, widget infers, a final value fee irrespective of whether the item is sold on eBay or not, but can also apply additional fees to cover 'monitoring costs incurred to prevent off eBay purchases'.

I recently tried to relist a non slot machine related item and an eBay robot asked me to revise the listing as it had interpreted a possible policy violation with respect to their new policy. It wasn't until I had removed the phrase Buy-it-now to secure or just Make me an offer, from the listing copy, that it was allowed to be relisted. The item had been listed as a buy-it-now or best offer format on their system...............!

Interestingly, when I spoke with them via live chat they also stated that if another member, e.g. a buyer, sends you any contact details or any comments that could be construed as trying to initiate an off eBay sale, if you, as the seller, do not report them, then under the terms of the new user agreement you will deemed to be complicit and open to additional fees/restrictions and or suspension.

They did introduce, about a year ago applying final value fees to items listed in auction format when the seller ended the listing early to sell off ebay when the item already had bids. I think you got a warning first time then fees applied on any additional violation. However this didn't include all the buy-it-now and or
best offer listings that were ended with an off eBay purchase after contact details were communicated via an EBay listing or messages etc.

You will just have to change your name via deed to your telephone number.

Juan Sven......etc.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

They've been really slow in this area and must have lost millions since they began.
I know of slotties that have sold more machines than I have ever owned without ever paying a penny to eBay.

It wouldn't take much to come up with a code based on something like every other word beginning with a letter that corresponds to a number, you'd only need a 22 word message.
In order to get it into common use you could sell it on eBay.

BP :didact:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

After 20 years on ebay I was thrown out completely two weeks ago for trying to get a buyer to send me a photo of the artwork he wanted via email as the ebay photo system isn't good enough. Ebay read it as me trying to sell offline, which it was not. I was away at the time and when I got back had to plead with customer service to reinstate me... They did on a one off basis because I'd been with them so long. One thing I'm not sure about is can you send details AFTER you make a sale? It seems so, but I'm loath to take the chance without being sure. !PUZZLED!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well I suppose if after a sale proceeded and they paid via PayPal you would then have their PayPal email address to correspond directly and send any images etc. and initiate any additional transactions off eBay?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

You can send details once the item has been bought no problem.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

eBay need to move to a fix price system like how advertising in magazines use to be, then sharing details would not matter and you can list for so many weeks. Much better....

You could always create an eBay ID as your phone number, seen that done before, as well as mail address like meatnamedotcodotuk.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I still see listings that say .................
Phone me for me more details on 01010292383746.

Perhaps that's something they've yet to address?
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

What is the position regarding you viewing an item before bidding, is that still possible?

John
Last edited by wembleylion on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I guess not as there is no way of getting their details.
woody2

Post by woody2 »

Plenty seem to be putting email/ phone numbers on photos
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Putting an email address on a photo is what got me thrown out. I think it's the new terms and conditions now being policed using new methods. The old ideas of splitting up your phone number through a message that worked for years for me don't work now, same as the photos, It's a work in progress for them and some are still getting through but their message scanners are defiantly a new generation and picking up more and more attempts to pass on details. They have introduced new rules for photos within adverts, but are not enforcing them fully as yet. You just get a warning that some photos need to be altered, but they don't remove them...yet.
As to viewing, that is still possible if you collect and pay cash on collection and agree with the seller that you want to view before paying. If you don't buy, the seller can get his fees returned or has the opportunity to sell to the next bidder down.
When I first started on Ebay 20 years ago you could you could put your website, phone number and email in the advert!! :o
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm As to viewing, that is still possible if you collect and pay cash on collection and agree with the seller that you want to view before paying. If you don't buy, the seller can get his fees returned or has the opportunity to sell to the next bidder down.
If I'm understanding what you're saying, you couldn't view anything before bidding (no means of obtaining seller's details), but would have to win the bidding first and then back out on collection if the item had defects not revealed in the pictures. I can see this being frustrating for buyers and sellers alike.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You are all accurate and not alone in voicing frustration.
Clicky 1
Clicky 2

Like I said previously they've come to the conclusion they have lost $Millions due to being used as a free worldwide advertising service and have decided plug the gaps.

I wouldn't be interested in spending hundreds of pounds without the option of viewing first, so .... Ho-Hum :!?!:
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

I, along with many other sellers, am becoming very hacked off with eBay lately.
Basically, as a seller on eBay, you have ZERO rights.
It has really become a scammers free for all if you are a crooked buyer, and as we all know, there are plenty out there!
This can only help the traditional auctions as sellers of antiques of all kinds will probably be leaving eBay in droves by now.
The below makes uncomfortable reading for any decent seller!
http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Selling- ... -p/4487328
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's so true that sellers have absolutely no rights on ebay. In the last two months I've had three buyers screw me, one was an out and out attempt to cheat me of £200. I avoided this by recognizing the warning signs and even then the guy tried to get paypal to refund him twice!!

The others were both the same problem and really shows up the sellers problems. Both buyers wanted to return goods that had nothing wrong with them dispite the ad saying no returns. I would have been prepared to do this after contacting the buyers under certain conditions but ebay didn't give me the chance. They send you a message saying the buyer is looking for a refund and offering you three options to click on
1, I have already refunded the buyer
2, I will offer a partial refund the buyer keeps the product and
3. I need to contact the buyer

Whichever one you click on ebays replies with, "you have agreed to refund the buyer within two days" dirtdog then you can contact the buyer who has, of course, already won the fight. You have to pay the outgoing postage AND the return postage, ebay automatically charges you the postage and sends the buyer the postage label.
Not to mention their feedback system which will not allow a seller to give bad feedback and blocks out several of the feedback options - it's all about the buyer.
Ebays income is now over $10,000,000 PER DAY!!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

A monopoly is never perfect.

I sold my last item on eBay 6 years ago, as it was apparent then it was not something I wanted to do anymore.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I remember the days when you could see who you were bidding against fully.... I lot more fun... !!YIPPEE!!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I can confirm if it's a classified advert and not auction style you can pass on your information.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What qualifies as a classified ad? Am I wrong in thinking only a very few categories are available for classifieds? How long does a classified last for a fee of £9.90?