Happy Birthday Pennymachines.co.uk

General vintage slot machine related topics.
coppinpr

Happy Birthday Pennymachines.co.uk

Post by coppinpr »

.:*+*:. this site was 16 years old...yesterday .:*+*:.

well done Mr p. #Happy~BIRTHDAY# #Happy~BIRTHDAY#
arrgee

Re: Happy Birthday Penneymachines.co.uk

Post by arrgee »

Congrats Mr PM for keeping this site well and truly alive and kicking - not forgetting the Forum Mods as well. !!THUMBSX2!!

A lot of work goes into running websites like this and you are to be congratulated.
**xXx**

Thank you for all your work and efforts.
speedwell

Re: Happy Birthday Pennymachines.co.uk

Post by speedwell »

Yes. There simply isn't a better site anywhere regarding the machines we all love .Thank you. Brilliant job.
tdmnick

Post by tdmnick »

I hope it manages another 16 years - a veritable treasure trove of information. I know forums seem to have fallen out of favour more recently with the increased use of Facebore and other related trendy sites but I hold out hope that sites like this see a resurgence of use and interest, as they still are the best online method of collating and being able to search for various information.
I've certainly never found anything remotely close to this one, so, yes, a happy birthday indeed!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am .:*+*:. this site was 16 years old...yesterday .:*+*:.

well done Mr p. #Happy~BIRTHDAY# #Happy~BIRTHDAY#
Come on Paul, where are the stastics, tisstatics, stasicstics, figures?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just another 84 years and the site will be antique! !!HOORAY!!
Meantime we'll make do with calling ourselves vintage. Thanks to all of you who've continued to contribute and support this ever-growing resource. !!GROUPHUG!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

We should have a Sweet Sixteen party for Mr. Pennymachines. Nursey can bring the bubbly and BP will be our DJ. Whoooo Hooooo! !!MEXWAVE!!

J Peterson
On the wrong side of 16 in America
JC

Post by JC »

BP will be our DJ
Are you sure JP - come on, let's not spoil it.

So yes, there's nothing quite like or even close to pennymachines. A site that has grown and evolved to be the magnificent resource that it is today, and I'm sure will continue to evolve over the next sixteen years. Thank you PM, no one else could have done it !THUMBS!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Yes, greatly appreciated Mr PM. thank-you for your time and efforts
JC wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 am So yes, there's nothing quite like or even close to pennymachines
Made me laugh that JC, always good to start the day that way, thx
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Happy Birthday........... **xXx**
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Well done Mr P & the mods.
Regs from Upsidedownland.
AP.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Been busy of late and not been much involved in slot land, but time does fly......not sure where you got the date from Paul, maybe Mr PM’s joining date, but website was registered 6 months earlier.

For the first two years it looked like it was very quiet unless posts were lost and there were only a few and members, but I guess any site takes time to gain awareness. So yes we’ll done for keeping this site going, I still consistently use it as a source of info on machines. Mentioned earlier were other forms of interaction like the long list of Facebook groups that exist. I joined and contributed to these under a pseudonym, but realise what a load tosh they are, very little added of value, a few people waving their shiny machines around and difficult to search. Also heard of sale posts by owners trying to make offers before approving.....the approval system for posts is not good either, can take days....

Hopefully you will find the enthusiasm, stamina and patience to keep this invaluable site operating and others continue to support !!THUMBSX2!!
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

This website is the sum of its parts, thankyou Mr PM .
This forum continues to be a wealth of knowledge to me, is insightful and more often than not ,hilarious. I can’t think of any other site that grapples with mechanical / electrical problems but always retains its sense of humour. !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 am For the first two years it looked like it was very quiet unless posts were lost and there were only a few and members, but I guess any site takes time to gain awareness.
It wasn't as active as now but guest posts were allowed in those relatively Spam-free days and unfortunately most of these were lost in a server crash.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Congratulations to all with the site which i enjoy very much. Mr pennymachines thanks for the hard work! !!GOODJOB!!
jailtime10

Post by jailtime10 »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. P.....GREATJOB......GREAT INSIGHT....

8TH ARMY AIR FORCE

CONGRATULATIONS TO ANY MEMBER WHO CAN SOLVE THIS VERY CRYPTIC INSIDE JOKE.................................
JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF AN OLD POSTING WHERE MR. P. STEPPED IN TO SAVE THE DAY. :HaHa:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

..not sure where you got the date from Paul, maybe Mr PM’s joining date, but website was registered 6 months earlier.
As with most things in the long distant past dates become hazy, only Mr p. can tell us, I suspect the reg date was when the serious testing of the site got underway with no actual online action (?) Then of course there is the question "when does a forum start to exist"? Can one man constitute a forum? Perhaps not, in which case the forum doesn't start until the 29th Nov when "scratchbuilt" became the second member. Of course other early members may have been removed from the list increasing the fog of time, Mr P. Memory is of course fading now, the price we all pay for great age and a fast early life style. We should gain as much info as we can before nursey finally locks the door and leaves with the new will with the ink still wet. !!WILLYNILLY!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The domain was actually registered on the 20th March 2002. I then had to learn about web design from scratch and started building and testing the site.
Wayback Machine:
WB.jpg

The gates were finally unlocked on December 1st 2004. I see our esteemed American friend JP posted to the forum on that date, but John was ahead of the game. In October 2003, via an ebay message he asked, "Hi, I'm an American collector of British games. How do I get onto your website?"
pennymachines wrote:Hi Peter,
Congratulations! You're the first to find our website.
But... It's UNDER CONSTRUCTION (dreaded words).
That was just a test page.

We hope to be up and running by the end of November or start of December.
We'll send you an email soon as we are,
Regards, pennymachines.

There are a few posts before December of my own and some from Scratchbuilt, with whom I was corresponding by email at the time, so the Forum didn't open as a blank canvas.
coppinpr wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:21 amMemory is of course fading now, the price we all pay for great age and a fast early life style.
Since my recent chip implant, memory is not a problem - don't expect me to understand anything though.

Recent stats screengrab for those whose minds run to such things.
Attachments
TrafficStats.gif
traffic-3.jpg
Traffic-2.jpg
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

Thanks for keeping this site alive over the years and for all the witty banter which accompanies it! Cheers for all your hard work !!CHEERS!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

May you live forever, Mr. PM! Your endless hours creating, maintaining and improving this site are an invaluable gift to the collectors of these fabulous machines.

Cheers! !!CHEERS!!

J Peterson