So I might have over-shopped....

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
geofflove

So I might have over-shopped....

Post by geofflove »

So I’ve just had a 300 mile round trip to collect a job lot of allwins. Is there a collective noun we can use? Maybe an algorithm of allwins? Anyway, it was a fair van load! I’ve now got sufficient ‘projects’ to last quite some time. Unless I decide to bump some in their current state to make the pile more manageable. Anyway, being fairly new to this game there are a few here I don’t recognise so if you fancy an allwin picture pub quiz and can put some names and any interesting info to the pics you’d make my day!

But first a little story. The family I got these from bought a leisure park/lake in the '50s. They said all the machine were already there then. I’m guessing therefore that most of these machines must be '40s/'50s? They were then taken out in the '70s I believe and have sat in a shed since. A long sit!

They are in various states of disrepair. Most mechanisms are in tact but frozen solid. Looking at them I think a dismantle, rust removal and clean will get most working fine. A few seem to have the thumb lever missing and a couple of payout cups are awol too. Many of the cases have suffered worm and rot in places (or all over in a couple of cases!). Mostly at the bottom from standing on damp I suspect. Many are salvageable with a new bottom piece, a few will need more extensive work. I think the worms are long since dead but I’ll be keeping an eye on that!

All are the more basic allwin single win mechs I think. Many have a ‘British Automatics Co’ plate on them. I’m guessing they were supplied by them on a profit sharing basis. In terms of makes there are a number of Wonders machines including a couple of coconuts, a couple of wonder wins(?) and a couple of 24 cups which I think are wonders too? A number look like whales machines from the mechs but not sure. Quite a few claim to be ‘allwin deluxes’. There are some of which I have no clues.

I now need to decide where the hell I start with this pile which is now filling my storage unit!

So quiz time? I’ll number them to keep track! Enjoy!
Attachments
brigham

Re: So I might have over-shopped....

Post by brigham »

24 Winning Cups is by Oliver Whales, as is PLAYBALL and The Easy Nine.
What a state!
Where to begin?
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Indeed! I think I'll pick one of the slightly less wrecked ones and go for a quick win to start! I do like the graphics on the wonders ones so maybe that's where to start!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

love the intense graphics on 5, 18, and 20.
What a haul
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

A gallery of allwins.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

cait001 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 pm love the intense graphics on 5, 18, and 20.
What a haul
I must be a bit vanilla, I’m not sure a fan. Much prefer the stuff on the Wonders.
I’m swinging between thinking it’s a great haul and wondering what on Earth I’ve done! :HaHa:
I’m hopeful I’ll get a few of them looking respectable though. It’s judging that line between making them as pretty as possible v retaining as much original stuff as possible. If I wanted super pretty I’d just build new cases for them but that’s not really what it’s about is it? That said the cases will certainly needs some new bits to replace the missing and rotten.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Although Oliver Whales did make a 24 cup,the version shown is by Wondermatics.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

A quick question. On some, like no 19, the actual backflash is in ok condition but the clear plastic covering is not and will need replacing. What material is the best thing for this job and in what thickness? I guess it needs to be not thick and easyish to cut accurately given all those cups which will have to come off and go back on top again.

What have others used?
JC

Post by JC »

24 Winning Cups is by Oliver Whales
Actually, they're Wonders. Full list below - those that I've left blank are Allwin Deluxe type machines, which could be of German or British origin.

1. Whales
3. BMCo
4. Whales
5. BMCo
7. BMCo
8. No picture
9. Whales
10. Whales
11. Wonders
12. Whales
13. Wonders
14. Wonders
15. Whales
17. Wonders
18. BMCo
19. Wonders
20. BMCo

Good luck with that lot! There'll be some nice machines there if you can spend the time on them, particularly the BMCo. Unfortunately, I reckon there's going to be quite a few that may not be worth the time and effort.
Good luck !THUMBS!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

With regard to recovering the plastic sheet on number 19.Mine needed doing too and measured it to be in the range of 230-250 microns thick.So to keep it to this standard I got some 'Acetate' sheet A1 size.Unfortunately the company has ceased trading but there maybe others.This size and thickness is not so easy to source now but if you're not too bothered about matching thickness then I think 'Fred Aldous' does the A1 size in 115 microns thick.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

JC - I think you win the quiz! Thanks. I'm quite sure not all the machines won't make it. I purchased on the basis that if I got just two decent machines out of it I'd be doing ok so I should mange better than that. I'm sure some will become donors to others giving that there are a few levers and pay cups missing and a few cases are definitely beyond help. It will need some work though!

13Rebel - thanks for the info. That's really helpful. I'll follow it up.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

geofflove wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:04 am JC - I think you win the quiz!
Great! I hope he wins the lost causes.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

badpenny wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:25 am
Great! I hope he wins the lost causes.

lost cause???

not sure I know what that is BP. :oops:

Well done Geofflove, nice find. !!THUMBSX2!!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

What a excellent haul worth the milage. !!THUMBSX2!!