Vintage amusement arcades currently open in the UK

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Re: Portsmouth historic dock

Post by treefrog »

Think some of your piccies failed to load, but did see them on the Facebook group. Nice to see them all without “out of order signs” probably a persistent issue for the operator of old arcade machines.....as per the two previous reports over the last 8 years* !!THUMBSX2!!
(Now merged above - Site Admin.)
sweetmeats

Re: Arcade of working models at Portsmouth Naval dockyard

Post by sweetmeats »

These machines are part of the Clive Baker collection.
coppinpr

Re: Arade of working models at Portsmouth Naval Dockyard

Post by coppinpr »

This is good news - the last time I was there all the machines were either out of order or turned front to the wall. The area they were in was not being used. Seems they have returned to life and been given a revamped area (although in the same general area). !!THUMBSX2!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Jolly Jack.
Place FOUR SHILLINGS in slot!
(My mum's old Aunt Elsie would have been lost for words!)
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

There was a laughing sailor at South Parade Pier in the 1960s. I think it spent some time at a retro arcade in Ocean Village, Southampton. Could this be the same one? Another collection of vintage machines can be found at Bursledon Brickworks Museum which is located at Swanwick. They work on old pennies but, to my annoyance, the change kiosk was closed. Drat!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

These are Clive's again. Pics taken last August.
Attachments
IMG_20190821_154542a.jpg
IMG_20190821_154551a.jpg
IMG_20190821_155033a.jpg
fortunefish

Best old penny arcades in UK?

Post by fortunefish »

As a child I used to go with my parents to the Mechanical Memories Museum in Brighton, and I have fantastic memories of this, and understand it closed a couple of years ago.

More recently I’ve been to the Merrivale Old Penny Arcade in Great Yarmouth, which I really enjoyed and brought back some great memories.

I am hoping to ask if anyone on this forum had any other suggestions of locations in the UK which would be worth visiting with great old penny arcade machines. I'm also interested in arcades with antique and vintage machines, which operate with modern money, not just machines which operate with old pennies.

I am especially interested in fortune teller machines.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Best old penny arcades in UK?

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Fortunefish and :WELCOME:

We list places in the UK and beyond where you can play old amusement machines here: https://pennymachines.co.uk/archive/locations/
If anyone knows of others, please add them. It would be advisable of course, before travelling, to check if the location is currently open.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

It depends whereabouts you are.
The one in the beautiful town of Rye has many working models - well worth a visit.
My local one at Woodbank Garden centre in Bingley is certainly worth a visit, with plenty of very nice machines. My favourite is the Bryan’s Penny Go Round.
There’s a modern arcade in Scarborough with 9 Bryan’s machines on 2p , including a Gapwin.
Has anybody been to the one at the Anderton Boat lift near Northwich? Can’t find anything about it. Is it operating this year?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Time for an update on the old penny arcade archive/locations Mr PM , some of the sites listed are no longer operating
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

I am realy pleased you enjoyed my old penny arcade at Merrivale model village. Please do not forget my second arcade that is at the Miniature World attraction in Wroxham, Norfolk, NR12 8QJ, 01603 781728.
yooser27

Post by yooser27 »

Hello,
The Anderton Boat Lift is open, as far as I can be certain, from Friday to Monday. The hours are 10.00 am to 3.00 pm, all due to the dreaded Covid-19.
I think next year also will be a challenge to every event - worst luck!!
All the best from Neale.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

moonriver wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:52 pm Time for an update on the old penny arcade archive/locations Mr PM , some of the sites listed are no longer operating.
I designed the Archive so that any logged-in member can do this. If you know an Archive venue or resource is no longer available, please click the little blue button. It will mark it as closed/unavailable (and push it to the end of the list). It doesn't delete the entry, so if it reopens it can re-clicked and marked as available again. :cool:
Attachments
NA1.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Good selection of listings Mr PM, had not realised there were that many still open.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I went down to visit a collector colleague near the New Forest and thought I would stop off at Milestones in Basingstoke as never been, checked online and the arcade was closed for health and safety due to Covid, but rest of museum open which was a shame :#:
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

The Milestones arcade has closed and Clive Baker has removed all of his machines some time ago.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

mr merrivale wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:10 pm The Milestones arcade has closed and Clive Baker has removed all of his machines some time ago.
Oh dear, I see Moonriver had updated the site last month. Funny as the Museum website had not removed the attraction, just stating closed during Covid, so assumed was temporary. How many will survive this crisis I wonder.....think my plan last year to visit all arcades in U.K. on a road trip perhaps was doomed from the start.
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

Hi Tree frog
Both my arcades are open as usual at this moment of time. Let me know when you're coming to visit on your road trip and I will try and be there for the tour.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

treefrog wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:40 pm
mr merrivale wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:10 pm The Milestones arcade has closed and Clive Baker has removed all of his machines some time ago.
Oh dear, I see Moonriver had updated the site last month. Funny as the Museum website had not removed the attraction, just stating closed during Covid, so assumed was temporary. How many will survive this crisis I wonder.....think my plan last year to visit all arcades in U.K. on a road trip perhaps was doomed from the start.
I think the reason Milestones are just stating 'closed during Covid' is that they appear to be attempting to do their own attraction
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

fortunefish wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am As a child I used to go with my parents to the Mechanical Memories Museum in Brighton, and I have fantastic memories of this, and understand it closed a couple of years ago.

More recently I’ve been to the Merrivale Old Penny Arcade in Great Yarmouth, which I really enjoyed and brought back some great memories.

I am hoping to ask if anyone on this forum had any other suggestions of locations in the UK which would be worth visiting with great old penny arcade machines. I'm also interested in arcades with antique and vintage machines, which operate with modern money, not just machines which operate with old pennies.

I am especially interested in fortune teller machines.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated
I just sent you a private message fortunefish