Swastika Symbol on Coin Operated Machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
hottoddy

Swastika Symbol on Coin Operated Machines

Post by hottoddy »

Hello from the Gates of Hell. Otherwise known as Northern California. We are literally on fire.

I'm not sure if this is the correct Forum for this topic, but the Swastika Symbol covers a lot of territory. I recently came across this coin operated dice popper. It's an early machine copied by some of the other manufacturers of that time. Please take a look at the picture. I'm interested in its history and any comments.

Cheers !!FLAMED!!
Caille or Star Nazi Winner Dice Popper.jpg

pauljt71

Re: Swastika Symbol on Coin Operated Machines

Post by pauljt71 »

The Swastika reference was originally one of good luck or good fortune. In this context it was entirely appropriate to decorate something such as a dice tosser with a symbol of luck.

Clearly this would pre-date anything relating to the war and any Nazi movement that later adopted this symbol.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

This is on my 1933 Watling Gold Seal. As Pauljt71 says, it was for good luck.
Attachments
badge.jpg
Last edited by alan57 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The swastika on the first machine IS unusual as it points the wrong way for the good luck version. The Nazis reversed the Buddhist (and several other old religions) good luck symbol for their flag/logo. The one on the Gold Seal is the one used for good luck. The first one IS the Nazi version although I suspect they didn't know it was facing the wrong way when it was made. :o

I thought the machine was made by Caille, (Winner dice) the fancy casting is always the same but the Swastika in the middle is not usually there so perhaps its one of the copies made by other companies. About 12 companies made copies of this machine but this is not one of the well-known makers, for some reason, although the original machine came out in 1902, all the copies seem to date from 1924 to 1930. Will be a nice machine once it's brought back to life and has a new glass dome.
Last edited by coppinpr on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

good-luck.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

your hairs thinning BP, and the boy scout uniform is getting a bit tight,but thanks for the kind words :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Dib Dib
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:53 pm The swastika on the first machine IS unusual as it points the wrong way for the good luck version. The Nazis reversed the Buddhist (and several other old religions) good luck symbol for their flag/logo.
I think you're mistaken. The swastika was an auspicious symbol for thousands of years before the Nazis appropriated it. It remains so in some Buddhist and Hindu contexts, as does its inverse (the sauwastika).

Here's a British game I posted back in 2005, which sports a swastika: Test Your Skill

tys.jpg

coppinpr wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:53 pm About 12 companies made copies of this machine...
Not disputing this, because all I know of Caille's Winner's Dice is what I've read on the web, but which 12 companies made copies? I saw one attributed to Keystone.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

but which 12 companies made copies?
Richard Bueschel states in his book Vintage Trade Stimulators & counter games" that Caille stopped making the machine after WW1 and about 12 companies copied the Caille game.The ones I know of are Keystone and Acme Sales Novelty Co who made two versions ,one from the Caille castings and a later one with their name on the side.
The swastika was an auspicious symbol for thousands of years before the Nazis appropriated it
I did say that(?)
Im sure you right about both directions,In the past I've only read that they reversed it. so the one on the original photo is a Swastika and the one on the gold award is a Sauwastika ! interesting
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

The swatistka is mostly used by several companies as a symbol of luck. :cool:

I think the only German company which used it deliberately to Nazi Germany was Erbü. :shock:

erbu.jpg

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=6179 ... 992&zoom=1
cait001

Post by cait001 »

This pachinko machine from the '70s also has the "good luck" version of the swastika on it. Needless to say, I didn't want to have to explain the difference between swastikas, so it wasn't a machine I kept.

20171203_191357a.jpg

On the plus side, the center attraction features a drunk man getting pachinko balls slammed into his groin.

20171203_191357ba.jpg

brigham

Post by brigham »

cait001 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:09 am On the plus side, the center attraction features a drunk man getting pachinko balls slammed into his groin.
As opposed to a malnourished POW being hit with the butt of a rifle...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

with regard to the Watling "good luck coin" shown above, its got good luck symbols crammed in on every side, The swastika,a horseshoe, a wishbone,a four-leaf clover and......anyone any idea what the symbol on the left is? !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A rabbit's foot.
Attachments
us_gold_seal_award.jpg
cait001

Post by cait001 »

brigham wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 amAs opposed to a malnourished POW being hit with the butt of a rifle...
Why would you want a game themed around that?