Shefras Speedway identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Shefras Speedway identified

Post by coppinpr »

Can anyone tell me if this allwin is original, a repro, or a conversion? Speedway is an interest of mine and I've only ever seen one machine (Shefras) with a speedway theme. At first glance I thought this machine was a semi-modern conversion, but looking at the artwork around the edge it could be original (hints of the Clement & Whales "Greyhounds" artwork) but I don't know enough about allwins to be sure. The fact it's running on 5p makes me wonder though.
Attachments
s-l1600-(2speedway1.jpg
speedway-2a.jpg
treefrog

Re: identity of this allwin?

Post by treefrog »

Saw that and like you suspected the backflash has been changed as this is a 2-4-6 machine with its original top flash. The award card is not attached and not in keeping with the newer backflash....

I would have created a Speedway top flash as well.....of course I could be wrong

The only other Seepdway Allwin I recall was the Shefras one, which is nice.
Attachments
570FCC96-5609-4AD3-86D3-0C065DD922C6.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: identity of this allwin?

Post by pennymachines »

Definitely Shefras, although obviously a variant of the more familiar electric-pay version TF posted. Shefras made both oak with overhanging top and base style cabinets and the streamlined, recessed-top style, in a softer wood. Anyone know what wood it is? Considerably lighter-weight than oak. Alder?

The top glass is possibly the result of door-swapping by a hard-pressed operator back in the day, although it does match the 2-4-6 playfield scheme.
Another variant, with a 10 cup layout is currently for sale at Junktion.
Attachments
DSC05406.jpg