Space Flight Beromat

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bartleeto

Beromat, space flight Assembly

Post by bartleeto »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello all , got everything de rusted and ready to assemble . My question is , do I need to set the reels up in any sequence ? Any other info or advise that I might need to know ? Regards Tony
coppinpr

Re: Beromat, space flight Assembly

Post by coppinpr »

the reel strips must go back in the same place if you removed them, the reels must go on in the same order, dont force the metal parts they WILL break. any questions just ask :cool:
bartleeto

Newbie thoughts and Space Flight pics

Post by bartleeto »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hello all.
I finally made up my mind about this machine. After a few paint jobs and placement issues I decided it wasn't going to work in that particular room. It needed a new cabinet with veneer or Formica and although everything was there I looked at it and knew I was out of my comfort zone. The original arm mech was replaced with thanks to treefrog. I can't seem to download a pic of the mech but it is all there with no damage and ready to be assembled. The reel chassis looks complete but when you look closely it has a few surface rust issues and would require a stripdown and clean. Beyond my skills and I was worried about cocking something up. The reels would be better off being replaced, quite scruffy. As someone with reasonable mechanical knowledge concerning petrol engines I am surprised at how complex these machines are and have admitted defeat. So as I eat my humble pie I have put this on the Market and am looking for a working machine, tabletop? and in keeping with a '50s/'60s themed room. If no interest I will put on fleabay but would rather someone on this site will be interested as I can see someone like me buying it and being out of their depth. Also I have had a lot of help already from members and feel obliged and happier to offer it here first. I still like one arm bandits but now know and am aware of pitfalls. Just by reading the forums I can see that it's a niche and complex area and you need to know what you are doing. In conclusion as a newbie I have crashed and burned but it's not the end of the world. Every day is a school day as they say. Anyway, if you are still awake, let me know if you are interested, time for my medication,
Regards Tony
Attachments
013a.jpg
011a.jpg
009a.jpg
002a.jpg
bartleeto

Re: Space Flight Beromat picture of front castings

Post by bartleeto »

This is the picture I wanted in advert in Market.
Attachments
005a.jpg
008a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Space Flight Beromat

Post by treefrog »

The machine above I swapped for a complete bandit and then sat for 3 years. The mechanism had lots of issues, most of cabinet was fine or rotten. I even bought a machine from the Elephant House as a donor for the cabinet, but fell in love with it and restored it instead.

Anyway, I had one square cabinet machine I bought 8 years ago from Coventry auction painted in gloopy gloss yellow paint, pretty rough and bought without looking at it. When I picked it up, my fingers went straight through the base and the smell of rot stuck with me on the way home. Most of the good mechanical parts fell apart and I chucked it in the corner of a shed. So I decided to try and build a cabinet from the parts from the two machines and rebuild the Space Flight mechanism. It has not turned out too bad and runs very well. I am making some new strips and have not decided yet whether to paint the castings.... we'll see.

Attachments
328DCED4-A876-49A7-9231-62435B18192D.jpeg
Last edited by treefrog on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Very nice job, definitely worth saving.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Very nice machine!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Love that.
woody

Post by woody »

A beauty that - thanks for sharing. I'll find a decent space themed machine one day.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nice looking machine TF well done, another one saved !
treefrog

Dandy Space Flight

Post by treefrog »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

While cleaning up a Gunter Wullf Space Flight, stuffed inside the front casting was a copy of Dandy from 1962. I often find items used to repair machines like food packing and tins, but this had a reel window glass inside…….been there a long time :HaHa:
Attachments
IMG_20230521_145037114_HDRa.jpg
IMG_20230521_145037114_HDRa.jpg (150.01 KiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_20230521_144814063~2a.jpg
IMG_20230521_144814063~2a.jpg (219.88 KiB) Viewed 324 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I remember that issue! Desperate Dan had 2 cow pies that week (I fell out with him in 2019 when he stopped eating cow pies in favour of a selection of pastries (can you believe that :o )
brigham

Post by brigham »

He's probably in training for the Women's Caber-Toss.