Old bandits can crop up anywhere!

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
coppinpr

Old bandits can crop up anywhere!

Post by coppinpr »

I had a query on my www.penny-arcade.info web site from a man asking what sort of price would be fair for a Tom Boland film stars his friend was selling and he was thinking of buying. I'm at a bit of a loss to suggest a price seeing seller, buyer and machine are all in Australia. :o

I doubt Tom could have ever imagined that 70+ years after it was made one of his ABC (All Bits Combined) machines would crop up so far away :cool:
I'm keen to see a photo (if the guy buys it that is).
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Old bandits can crop up anywhere!

Post by badpenny »

I'm wary about valuing anything anywhere at the moment.
Lower end of the market machines are going through the roof while high end bandits, if anything are dipping.

We've seen this sort of pattern happen every 8 - 10 years since the mid 1990s.

BP :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I agree and always steer clear of giving a value (especially in another country). I will offer advice about what affects the value, rarity, condition etc. and what to look out for when viewing. With this machine, I hadn't even seen a photo at that time. I have now and it turns out it's a rare one much like the one below.
Attachments
odd boland 2.jpeg
odd boland 2.jpeg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I do like that.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What a 'lop-sided' design that is !
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm guessing that it's made from a Jennings Little Duke, or Duchess.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This is already in the Bolands thread and as mentioned there has a Mills QT handle, so anyone’s guess on internals.

In terms of the point around pricing, they are all over the place at the moment and I think BP is right, higher end machines seem to be going a lot cheaper than before and middle and lower end stuff a little higher. Two Brookland Racers sold recently for £1000 and £1100 respectively, which I would argue is a more realistic price, but a year ago double.

Today two bargains, online in Glasgow, a personality tester for £120 and the Elektromat Gunter Wulff machines rare for £150....... one of those Elektromat sold on eBay last year for £550

Go figure how to price things these days !PUZZLED!
Attachments
773AE07D-970D-41EF-8E2D-04D12286C51A.jpeg
EAB33D2A-42A6-4D40-9776-D6F9C83DDA1A.jpeg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

treefrog wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:23 pm This is already in the Bolands thread and as mentioned there has a Mills QT handle, so anyone’s guess on internals.

In terms of the point around pricing, they are all over the place at the moment and I think BP is right, higher end machines seem to be going a lot cheaper than before and middle and lower end stuff a little higher. Two Brookland Racers sold recently for £1000 and £1100 respectively, which I would argue is a more realistic price, but a year ago double.

Today two bargains, online in Glasgow, a personality tester for £120 and the Elektromat Gunter Wulff machines rare for £150....... one of those Elektromat sold on eBay last year for £550

Go figure how to price things these days !PUZZLED!
Edited as the Elektromat is already on eBay for £500...... I did consider, but these days avoiding anything with electricity as can’t be trusted. Also when I looked at the pictures of mechanism the auctioneer sent me, I was concerned things had been played with and missing. Also the addition of a pencil to form part of the workings may have been a clue :HaHa:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-arca ... SwPbBfmuub

AF902B31-5A7D-47F2-881A-2410D266C909.jpeg