Bryans Bumper

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
fruitbowl

Bryans Bumper

Post by fruitbowl »

Here is my attempt at building a Bryans Bumper.
I made this in 2018. I also added a stand to compliment the machine, continuing the Art Deco style down the front and sides, all built to scale and weight. Works well and pays out correctly.
Attachments
bumper4.jpg
bumper6 (2).jpg
Bumper1.jpg
bumper16.jpg
treefrog

Re: Bryans Bumper

Post by treefrog »

Wow wow wow !OMFG!

That is awesome. Having just read the flyer, they were big and the stand is stunning in combo. Are the internals made as per the patent? Would be great to see a video working and inside....

You could have had a lot of fun here suggesting you have just restored the machine found in the back of a shed. :HaHa:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Absolutely incredible! Well done. **xXx**
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Great. Looks just like the 3 originals that I've got in my shed.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Fantastic job. Isn't it amazing what is being quietly constructed in the privacy of collector's homes?
All you need now is to empty the Hoover bag into it and hide it in the shed for 20 years.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi great job. I thought about making one a couple of years ago but never got round to it. Have you got any pictures of the works? Would be interested in seeing how it works. Pete.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's absolutely amazing! I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought for a moment you'd turned up an original. Until I noticed it was in the build forum... You should have held back another four days and posted it under Discoveries.

We need to know more about its construction. Did you make your own patterns for the castings? How did you 're-invent' the mechanism (as there's no patent)? How long did it take?
Please record a video of it working. !!THUMBSX2!!
moonriver wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 pm All you need now is to empty the Hoover bag into it and hide it in the shed for 20 years.
Next time I'm offered one, I'll study the woodgrain! Not that I'd let that put me off.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Love to see it working. Amazing!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

O M G !! !WORSHIPFULL! !WORSHIPFULL! !PARTY!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Superb!! !WORSHIPFULL!

Note to Gameswat: Here is your next project. Art Deco....it has your name all over it.

J Peterson
Start Decoing, Buster
USA
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Awesome job Fruitbowl! And thanks for sharing pics. Hope to see the mech next.........maybe based on one of the other patents out there...?

john t peterson wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:44 pm Note to Gameswat: Here is your next project. Art Deco....it has your name all over it.
I have far too many surviving machine projects JP. Someone once tried to commission me to make a very small run of a lost early US machine. There was enough info with a patent and a woodcut drawing, plus that collector owned all the other known pieces by the maker to pattern from and some original spares (of the surviving machines that is), but after a few days thought I told him I'd need some part of the original machine to get excited enough by the job to dedicate many many months of blood, sweat and tears. And now after 130 years with nothing turning up doesn't seem likely it ever will.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Stunning job fruitbowl. **xXx**
fruitbowl

Post by fruitbowl »

Here are some pics of the inside this time. It's basically a clock mechanism with additions.
The exterior chrome fittings I made from 8mm and 10mm steel sheet using a laser cutter
to cut them out. They're really strong, no chance of breaking.

I made the case to split in two, making it easier for maintenance - four nuts and bolts securing the top half. You can just see the nuts in the pics.

In total I guess it took a few hundred hours from start to finish.
Attachments
Bryans Bumper.JPG21.JPG
Bryans Bumper.JPG20.JPG
Bryans Bumper.JPG19.JPG
Bryans Bumper.JPG18.JPG
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

WOW, absolutely brilliant workmanship. !!THUMBSX2!! **xXx** !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks 100% Bryans inside as well! :o
I'm blown away by this. Truly inspired. Are you sure you didn't have an original to copy? We're going to nag you until you post a video.

I'm sure a few of us would be eager customers if you went into production with it.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Great idea, do you have to press the handle down or can you thump it? Is there a connection with the little weight that goes up the scale for the win? Would love to play on it - you will have to put a video of it working on this site. Pete.
JC

Post by JC »

Absolutely stunning, a very impressive machine - I hadn't imagined they were so big. I also didn't realise they basically operated on a Clock mechanism. When you thump the thumper, is that what winds the clock?
So I guess you have an empty Clock case lying around now - certainly done in a good cause; we can live with one less Clock.
Just one point (before someone else mentions it) - you might want to rethink those counter-sunk pozi screws on the mech brackets? Slotted round heads of some description would be more appropriate. Black Japans probably the easiest to obtain.
And at the risk of repeating others - video please!
fruitbowl

Post by fruitbowl »

You push the handle down rather than thump it. The key is skill rather than strength.
Yes JC, I must change those screws.

Question of production run?
I have no plans to build another one. The first one was a challenge - that's where the fun was for me. To make another would be a bit too repetitive; I'd rather use my time on other new projects.

Ebay has kindly given me some free listings so I guess it's a good time to move it on. It's only gathering dust and taking up room. Best let someone else get some fun out of it. I have the pics and video; that's good enough for me.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

You have done an amazing job on that one. So many skills involved.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

As others have already posted, looks to be excellent work in producing this. However, after reviewing the video, I was left underwhelmed at the actual gameplay..? No slight to work in this. It just lost my attention very quickly...