EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
geordy55

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by geordy55 »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm my gut feeling is he doesn't want to go back to standard auctions :!?!: A lot of things have changed for him since the last auction
That’s exactly what I was thinking.
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

I'm sure you won't see EH doing the usual auctions again, why go to all this long term bother of a website and on line bid path, if he was going to continue with regular auctions? With no mention whatsoever from Steve regarding "getting back to normal auction days!" I doubt we'll see them again, I hope I'm wrong.
As for Coventry, I wish it could happen, but I agree with the organisers, in the current climate even I wouldn't risk the time and effort and money pushing an auction that may well never go ahead. If some of the people on these forums really want it, why not hire a hall, promote it, stack it with machines, get a little hammer and do the auction... I think some don't appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes in to doing auctions.
Bring back Exchange & Mart...LoL :lol:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem is, one of the key things to run an auction, beyond hard work, is buyers and sellers, especially sellers, as been an issue for many years at the Coventry auction. So organisers are chasing regulars to submit lots and details etc. A key to success is a good contact list, which both Steve and Jerry has of regular contributors and buyers. Organising an auction without this would require pot luck on sharing on this forum and Facebook groups etc, which makes it even more likely to fail.

I don’t underestimate the effort involved and over the years when people moan about Steve and his auctions forget the effort needed, suspect his new scheme will reduce some of these problems.

Suspect we will all go into our holes and sell and buy privately, which is what I have mostly being doing for last 18 months. Also standard auction houses are now a serious option as most offer massive discounts on seller commission and some may now consider buyer reductions like the one in Dorset recently selling slot machines at 10%, almost down to the % Coventry and Elephant.......

A lot of what happens with the Elephant I suspect will be based on success of the current plans, so we will all see....anyway some interesting stuff is coming still standard auctions like today with the Gresham stuff and one particular machine listed today :shock: if you have very deep pockets ;-)
junior

Post by junior »

I, like so many, miss the community aspect of going to auctions, as a place to meet up with mostly people with the same interest. It doesn’t seem very likely that it will ever return in the form that we once enjoyed and travelled for hours to get to. So for all of us our collecting world has and will get smaller. There’s only a couple of people who have our details as a whole group, names and contacts. I feel it’s about being at an event, auction and the impulse of buying a treasure or a dog. The anticipation about what you might come home with, yep, the buzz of it all.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

so it seems the first round of sales using the new style of selling at EH has finished. Details of all the prices paid are on show in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClYGJAYq_Q

My view of the results was that, on the whole, prices were just on the low side of good, especially on bandits, of course, there were some very high prices and a few low ones all around but if I was selling the standard bandits id be a little disappointed with what I got from the sales.
It has to be said that the system has worked as far as we can tell, there seems to have been a lot of buyer interest and all the lots sold. You have to ask yourself if this was a standard auction would some of these bids have gone higher in face-to-face bidding. it seems to favor the buyer in my view.
Interesting to note that NONE of the lots were stored at the EH, could it be we will see the sale of that building if this new system works out? :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thought mostly made good money......a Nostalgic Allwin for £1200 :HaHa: someone has lost the plot........you could almost buy two new Retro Arcade Allwins made of oak for that.....bandits were all their money
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

bandits were all their money
I thought the aristos cheap at £300 and the Sega less than it would have reached on ebay, the totalisator was a rare bird though,id have liked that, Steve says the underbids were all close to the winning bid, I suspect not on the Nostalgic :!:
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

You can't beat live face to face auctions end of story....... But I suppose this is better than nothing till confidence is back.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

I'm apprehensive to sign up since I'm mostly just hunting for a "Mini Cascade" coin pusher right now. so I'm wonder if I should really spend £120 for a year of posting a wanted ad, or if I should just keep advertising for it here?
Is the audience of their site much wider than here on pennymachines? My ad has been up here for 8 months with not even a nibble
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You don’t have to spend £120, you can subscribe for one month, the only problem is, if someone is interested to sell, they do not deal with you direct and submit for sale in the auction for all to blind bid against. Not a problem if you're bidding loads of course.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:32 pm You don’t have to spend £120, you can subscribe for one month, the only problem is, if someone is interested to sell, they do not deal with you direct and submit for sale in the auction for all to blind bid against. Not a problem if you're bidding loads of course.
Wait wait, I guess I misunderstood the "Wanted ads" part of the site. I thought when you posted that you wanted a machine, prospective sellers can get in touch with you and they'll help bridge the sale.
I didn't realize that if someone has something, the item is THEN forced to go up for blind auction. That's WORSE. :!?!:
sigh
brigham

Post by brigham »

Some confusion, surely...?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The idea is to drive interest from potential sellers what someone might pay, so not a proper wanted add as such.......

From what I can tell the overall feedback has been positive on the new system and a lot of people are pushing items for sale. Will be interesting to see if wanted requests drive people submitting items. Might stick a few requests for rare aristocrats myself :lol:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:30 pm The idea is to drive interest from potential sellers what someone might pay, so not a proper wanted add as such.......

From what I can tell the overall feedback has been positive on the new system and a lot of people are pushing items for sale. Will be interesting to see if wanted requests drive people submitting items. Might stick a few requests for rare aristocrats myself :lol:
OK so it seems then there is no real point for me to join unless I see something I want coming up for sale. I don't think it should be my responsibility to attract sellers to an auction house, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of doing so.
If a Mini Cascade comes up for sale there you bet I'll join up and put in a bid, though. !!YIPPEE!!

I really hope it's a successful endeavour, even if we're all still figuring out the economics of a sealed bid auction. :)
I appreciate the rotation videos, although I'd be better if auto-play on videos was turned off on the site. Doing it like this does have the potential for attracting a far wider audience of buyers than in-person auctions, even if those are the traditional lifeblood of many collecting communities.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't think it should be my responsibility to attract sellers to an auction house, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of doing so.
you just quoted Steves life long business plan exactly, although you did miss the part where he thinks we are all to stupid to notice :lol:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think your missing the point, the big advantage of this service is that you can buy and sell unlimited amount of machines with no commission and no commitment to pay £10 every month..........so in theory you could sell 10 machines for good money controlled by your acceptance of offers and get the full amount for a tenner.

There are things I believe could improve and those joining the livestream events on YouTube have passed this feedback on. So the wanted requests, I see no reason for a system allowing direct contact between prospective parties and suspect something Steve will think about. Also the next area being looked at is selling spares, currently you would have to ship to the Elephant and then they would be shipped to buyer, as such doubles shipping and cost for potential low value items. Have direct interaction obviously makes the service no longer a confidential service and he would have work out how to deal with data protection etc.

At the end of the day, this is a evolving service and I am sure will change and adapt. Also there is nothing else for collectors at the moment apart from the awful Facebook groups where all people are about are the value of their machines.......”what’s it worth” :HaHa: of course there is this site as well I must add.....
cait001

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:35 am I think your missing the point, the big advantage of this service is that you can buy and sell unlimited amount of machines with no commission and no commitment to pay £10 every month..........so in theory you could sell 10 machines for good money controlled by your acceptance of offers and get the full amount for a tenner.

There are things I believe could improve and those joining the livestream events on YouTube have passed this feedback on. So the wanted requests, I see no reason for a system allowing direct contact between prospective parties and suspect something Steve will think about. Also the next area being looked at is selling spares, currently you would have to ship to the Elephant and then they would be shipped to buyer, as such doubles shipping and cost for potential low value items. Have direct interaction obviously makes the service no longer a confidential service and he would have work out how to deal with data protection etc.

At the end of the day, this is a evolving service and I am sure will change and adapt. Also there is nothing else for collectors at the moment apart from the awful Facebook groups where all people are about are the value of their machines.......”what’s it worth” :HaHa: of course there is this site as well I must add.....
My situation is admittedly a bit unique. I could absolutely see how this service would be amazing for collectors in the UK.
As a Canadian that is basically just looking for a single machine (at the moment) that I'm willing to spend the money to ship overseas, it just doesn't work for me.

Outside of my specific case though, if I wanted to attract more sellers I would let any registered+verified (don't want shill ads) user to post want ads for free, because a robust database of want ads with financial info is one thing that can attract more sellers.

If the system moved to allowing direct-contact of sellers to the people posting a want-ad, then I would again be tempted to at least post an ad for a duration.
To be honest, I think my former idea is better: let all users, even ones not paying monthly, to post what they want and what they're looking to spend. Seems probably the best way for them to reach their goal of shaking out machines to sell.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Bring back live on the day auctions it must be time now I bet everyone on here has been double jabbed. In the farming world auctions start back tomorrow. (machinery and tat) Let's hope June 21st happens so we can move on
hiflyer

Re: EH / Collector Connector sales

Post by hiflyer »

Well sadly thanks to our wondrous leaders and their lack of foresight the 21st June won't happen as we all knew it wouldn't. I'm not a regular poster on here but thought I would write a few words about Collector Connector. To be fair to Steve he has clearly put many many hours into the creation of a superb piece of software but I have found the concepts rather difficult to grasp and have to ask myself why I would want to subscribe on a regular basis to use it. Surely it requires a large number of regular subscribers for it to bring in enough cash to make it pay? It is what it's called, a collectors' environment and not really suited to someone like myself who attends auctions occasionally to maybe pick up or sell something on an ad-hoc basis. Are there really enough collectors to keep moving machines around between themselves? How does this system attract new blood into the world of amusement machines? First they have to find it. then they have to work out how to use it. They are more likely to go to look on eBay or try to find an auction. I look forward to Coventry auctions restarting............Please.
coppinpr

Re: EH / Collector Connector sales

Post by coppinpr »

well said !THUMBS!