New Member in Somerset

Tell us a bit about yourself.
thornebt

New Member in Somerset

Post by thornebt »

Hi. I've recently managed to get hold of a Beromat one armed bandit but it hardly ever pays out on winning lines. I've tried cleaning the payout slots but that didn't help. I'm in Cheddar, Somerset and someone told me that there is a chap in Burnham-on-Sea who services one armed bandits. Does anyone have a name or contact details for him please?
Cheers. Bruce.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: New Member in Somerset

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site, Bruce.
I'm not sure who that chap in Burnham-on-Sea is but meantime if you care to have a go yourself, you'll find useful advice here.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Thank you. I will certainly look at it but if anyone knows of someone who repairs / services one armed bandits in the south west I'd be grateful to hear details. I found someone in Launceston but that's quite a trek from Cheddar. I'll have a look at it now anyway.

Cheers. Bruce.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I've had a look at the mechanism and it seems to me that the top shaft that pushes down on the lever that operates the payout slides does not seem to be sufficiently sprung to put enough pressure on the lever. Sorry to be so vague but I don't know the correct terminology for these parts! I wish there was a Haynes manual! The top shaft has a spring at each end. I think if these springs were stronger then the machine would pay out.

So I think the way ahead might be to replace these springs. I will have a look on Ebay to see if I can find a selection box of springs. I've heard that many parts for Beromats are difficult to find but I guess that springs should not be too much of a problem.

The photo shows a pencil roughly indicating the location of the right hand spring.

Cheers. Bruce.
Attachments
DSCN2903.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As a rule of thumb, if the springs are original and not damaged or corroded, replacing with stronger springs is not the answer. More likely, something is sticking due to grunge, lack of lubrication, misalignment of something etc.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I agree with pennymachines, don’t waste your money on springs that do not fit the machine. I would first check the clock is running smoothly as this drives all the action. As mentioned more than likely old grease or crap
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I think the clock is OK as the machine seems to work well, it's just the payout that doesn't happen. I'm a bit stumped as everything seems very free i.e. there's nothing I can see that seems gunged up. What I really need is someone who knows what they're doing. I did email the chap in Launceston (banditrepair-den) but no reply from him yet.

Cheers. Bruce.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Can you do a video showing the issue, obviously in the payout side......

I have seen people put a strong spring on the top bar to force the mechanism to complete the cycle, but it should not be needed.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I haven't got a smartphone or any way of doing a video. This photo shows the lever that connects with rods to the payout slides. If I spin a winning line it doesn't pay out - but if I tap the top of the roller on top of the lever it works. However, in line with what you've said I'm not sure stronger springs are going to add enough force. I'll keep looking at it but if I don't get anywhere in the next few days I could really do with taking it to someone to get it fixed. I could combine this with a few days away with the wife so it doesn't matter too much if it's some distance.

It's very frustrating having a machine that doesn't pay out and not knowing how to fix it!

Cheers. Bruce.
Attachments
DSCN2904.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I do not know someone close to you and maybe they will respond if they exist. As I am sure you appreciate, we are all hobbyists, bar the two or three who do this as a business.

I assume if you rest your hand on the top bar when playing and you get a win, it then pays out?

I would check that the rod and arm that goes through the slides and triggers a win if freely moving when you operate the machine. If this has friction or the rod is slightly bent it will not lift correctly unless forced.....you can test this at the beginning of the cycle while reels are running as it should lift up and down freely while the slides are not resting on it
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Thank you. Yes, if I apply gentle pressure to the top of the roller I get a payout even if it's not a winning line! The vertical rod has a good few mm of up and down movement with the reels stationary but no up and down free play when the wheels are spinning.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Just done quick video of an old mechanism to show what I mean, using a wrench, part cycle mechanism low enough and the pay rod should freely lift up and down without any friction or stiffness. When the cycle has finished it will not move unless forced as the slides are resting on the rod.

Second part of video shows the top bar that triggers the pay lever and should be very free running, these can get gummed up.....
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Thanks very much. I really appreciate your help. My machine behaves the same as yours. The lever moves up and down very freely whilst the reels are spinning but not with the reels stopped and the top bar swivels without any discernable friction. I will persevere with it. I'm guessing that something is only slightly out as it was paying out when I first got it. Maybe the springs are too weak although I take on board your comments about them not usually being the culprit.
oldvic

Post by oldvic »

Hi, thornebt

I live in Bath and have a collection of old penny slots, including half-a-dozen Beromats, which I have maintained for many years.

If you were willing to bring the machine to my house I will certainly have a look at it for you.

Send me a private message if you're interested.

Ted
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

What happened to the video? :o
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Sorry, I removed it as it was a quick show and pointer to the problem and wasn’t a good video but can put back if you wanted, but I am unable to modify old posts ;-)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If you don't mind Tom, that would be good. It may be helpful to someone down the line. Just repost here and I'll put it in. !THUMBS!

Video replaced - thanks TreeFrog - Site Admin
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

The Beromat is now working perfectly after forum member Ted kindly cast his expert eye over it and made various adjustments which included slowing the machine down so it runs for the correct 15 seconds. I thought I was going to drive halfway across the country to find an expert who could fix it but help was a mere twenty miles away. I also now have a much better understanding of how the machine functions.

It makes you think back to the days when we didn't have these internet forums! Much as we are nostalgic about the old days when everything was so much simpler there are real benefits in this new fangled age of technology! Clockwork stuff is good but microchips have their uses!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Well done to Ted and Bruce. **xXx**