Polo allwin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
charlieb

Polo allwin

Post by charlieb »

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to find out more about Allwin polo machines and hopefully buy one maybe. If anyone could direct me to some informtaion that would be much appreciated. I've had a browse but not found a solid guide/page.

I remember playing them as a kid but can't recall if the prize was a single polo or the whole packet!?

Thanks very much in advance

Charlie
coppinpr

Re: Allwin Polo

Post by coppinpr »

Hi and welcome to the forum,
I'm not an allwin man, so can't help much but some of the guys on this forum are the best in the world on allwins, they will be along later to tell you all. In the meantime, they paid out packets off mints, there were versions paying Spangles, Areo, Pastilles, and chewing gum and, of course, single fags. They do come up for sale (our Coventry auction in June may have some), but they are expensive - I'd guess £400-£500 but, as I say, I'm no expert on these.
jingle

Post by jingle »

A single polo :HaHa:
I like that one Charlie
It was a packet mate
If your local to me I may have one for you to look at
Thanks jingle (Cheshire)
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

Thanks for the reply and welcome Coppinpr.

In retrospect Jingle, yes, a single Polo would have been a bit mean!

I'm not near Cheshire, unfortunately, but would be interested to know what you have for sale and maybe somehow come to an arrangement.
arrgee

Re: Polo allwin

Post by arrgee »

Hi charlieb and a warm welcome to the site, you will find much information here - just ask.

As coppinps has mentioned, these machines are quite popular and many were made by Oliver Whales and also a company called Corteen who distributed them through a firm called Rufler and Walker. There was also a Polo Fruit allwin. In recent years some of these machines have fetched between £450 - £650 depending upon condition. I quite like these sweety allwins and, as a kid, remember putting in far more pennies than the packet of sweets were worth!!

Good hunting, keep us informed and if you can get to Coventry the auction is well worth a visit - purely slot machine related.
Attachments
Oliver Whales 'Win a Polo'
Oliver Whales 'Win a Polo'
Corteen (R&W) Polo
Corteen (R&W) Polo
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Further to Arrgee's post, here's another manufacturer's version (possibly Philip Shefras):
Shefras-Polo.jpg

Forum member Terry placed this Oliver Whales version (with R&W topflash) in the Pennymachines Market at £400. I don't know whether it sold.
1389362242.jpg

There is this one advertised at £525 here: Allwin win a fruit polo very nice condition in Saint Nicholas at Wade
OW-POLO.jpg

And here's a (modern) Nostalgic Machines Ltd. Win a Mint:
Nostalgic-Win-a-Mint.jpg

And another R&W Polo allwin:
R-W-Polo-Allwin.jpg

See also:
Win a Polo Mint
Win a Polo Mint (Resources)
Anyone for Polo?
Oliver Whales Win a Gum
Wanna Treat?
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

Hi Arrgee and Pennymachines, thanks for the welcome. More reading material to give me and the great pics!

I'm bogged down with work at the moment but will be back with more questions soon for sure.

Thanks for the advice on the auctions, I had seen the Elephant House one and thought that would be okay but the Coventry one looks a ball, I'll have to get saving my pennies then too.
brianh

Post by brianh »

I have acquired a Fruit Polo Allwin which you will see needs a little tlc :cool:

I took a gamble on this one at auction as it was locked with no key and I couldn't view it but then that's part of the fun of auctions |/XX\| Happily, having removed the back panel to gain access, all is there inside and fairly easy to get working and cleaned up but I am of course (which I knew before I bid) missing the top flash. I know what it looks like (see above posts) but can't find a decent pic to enlarge enough to create one from. Does anyone happen to have a photo of one please that I could beg, borrow or steal to use as a template? Many thanks!
Brian
Attachments
polo7a.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

arrgee wrote: Wed May 15, 2013 11:38 am Hi charlieb and a warm welcome to the site, you will find much information here - just ask.

As coppinps has mentioned, these machines are quite popular and many were made by Oliver Whales and also a company called Corteen who distributed them through a firm called Rufler and Walker. There was also a Polo Fruit allwin. In recent years some of these machines have fetched between £450 - £650 depending upon condition. I quite like these sweety allwins and, as a kid, remember putting in far more pennies than the packet of sweets were worth!!

Good hunting, keep us informed and if you can get to Coventry the auction is well worth a visit - purely slot machine related.
I went back to look at this thread. It's not unusual to see another £1000 added to any of these prices now
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thought I'd share this with you to show you don't need to spend a fortune on fancy software if all you have available is Microsoft Paint which is of course free.
I recently bought a sad looking, non-working, 5 Fruit Flavours Polo Allwin (see bottom pic) which was missing a top flash and the main flash was too warped to be useful so I played around with Paint and produced the attached. Still needs a bit of work and not perfect copies of the original but OK for my purpose, mainly to make the machine usable again.
Attachments
polo.old1.jpg
polo2.jpg
polo1.jpg
polo.old2.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I totally agree.
MS Paint is quite adequate for easy restorations, even able to replicate just about any hue with the colour sampling tool.
It used to be better years ago, but MS have turned off some of its cleverer tricks.

Even though here's a before and after I did 5 years ago.
Before
Before

2 days later
2 days later

brianh

Post by brianh »

Wow !!THUMBSX2!! Puts my efforts to shame :(